Why become a member? ×

How long for tendon injuries to heal?

Lfalex v1.1

Whilst trying to remove a seized sump plug today (long story), I've found that I've strained some tendons in my right forearm from repeatedly applying a lot of strength when laying at a funny angle.
Hadn't particularly noticed it until I picked a bass up, but now it feels like that arm (plucking, I'm right-handed) is on fire, especially when I play.
That, and I've heavily bruised my fretting hand just from gripping something too tightly.

I'm no weakling, nor am I Arnold Schwarzenegger, but I can't comprehend my ability to apply more force than my bones/joints/tendons can take through muscle power alone...

Any ideas on recovery times. Fortunately I'm on holiday from work for 2 weeks.

Get it checked out by a doc for a possible time frame. Some tendon injuries recover quickly and some take years. I am recovering (13months so far) from shoulder damage. Rest is not always your friend with tendon problems. Keep it moving but stop before it hurts. Gentle excercise of the area may help

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL - I CANNOT BACK UP MY ADVICE!

Gentle stretches and short spells of playing...... That's what I was told when I injured the muscles in my shoulder following a bike accident. Don't know if tendons are the same.

I was two weeks on "light bass duties" until I was back to normal.

*Disclaimer - I work in admin in the NHS for a reason.... I ain't no doctor.... Glad you aren't gonna sue*

usual disclaimer about not being a doctor...
I've done a fair bit of damage to myself on rugby and football pitches over the years and generally tendons are buggers. Frankly sometimes I'd rather have broken a bone. Not that I'm trying to put a downer on anything! Generally keep it moving but without applying force is what I've been told, but get it properly checked out is always good advice.

For tendon injuries Ibuprofen is good for the pain. I've found gently massaging the area with Ibuprofen jell - like Ibruleve is effective. The massage is good and the jell stops you pulling the skin about too much, if nothing else.

Disclaimer as above, but I've paid good money in the past for help, so I've got used to the drill ;)

Are you sure it's tendon damage ? is it something else ? is something else involved as well ?

Without knowing what the exact problem is, it's not possible to provide good advice about how to treat the problem or estimate healing time.

Best bet = start with the G.P. and take it from there.

All the best for a speedy recovery

An osteopath might be worth trying too. They are specific to the musculo-sceletal structure of the body. I have an injury in my right forarm that has stopped me playing the DB for now. Went to the osteopath and she identified exactly where the problem was.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1365361552' post='2038587']
Whilst trying to remove a seized sump plug today (long story), I've found that I've strained some tendons in my right forearm[/quote]

Do you know for sure it's tendon issues? About half way along the outside of your forearm?

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1365364260' post='2038654']

Best bet = start with the G.P. and take it from there.
[/quote]

+1. Sorry OP, but this is the best advice you can (should) expect on a bass forum.

Get it professionally diagnosed and treated....and get well soon. :)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1365367375' post='2038711']

Do you know for sure it's tendon issues? About half way along the outside of your forearm?
[/quote]

Almost. More like two-thirds of the way to the elbow and outside edge / slightly below. Only other thought is tennis elbow, though the pain isn't in/around the joint..

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1365368057' post='2038731']
+1. Sorry OP, but this is the best advice you can (should) expect on a bass forum.

Get it professionally diagnosed and treated....and get well soon. :)
[/quote]

+11111

And maybe ask to get referred to an orthopaedic consultant, if it doesn't settle down soon, just to be sure you're getting the right diagnosis and treatment. Tell your GP your income/cat's life depends on you being able to play, even if it doesn't. ;) Oh, and if you're told physio would help things along, don't wait for the NHS to get into gear. From experience I can tell you you'll wait months to even get an appointment. Best to go private.

Get well soon!

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1365412782' post='2039059']
Almost. More like two-thirds of the way to the elbow and outside edge / slightly below. Only other thought is tennis elbow, though the pain isn't in/around the joint..
[/quote]

Yeah, sounds very similar to the RSI I had a couple ro so years ago. The physio told me I have three long tendons there, in my case they'd fused together. I had a couple of sessions of manipulation to separate them again & no trouble since.
If you put your forearm flat to a table, palm down & try to raise & bend your hand backwards you'll feel the tendons bunch up as they pull. This was one of my maintenance exercises after the treatment.
I'd say, the Ibuprofen gel to ease any pain but get a physio to see to it. In my experience GPs usually start talking about pain relief & operations rather than as a physio would say "treat the cause, not the symptoms". And as my son has just found out - after joining a waiting list - an NHS physio just talked about his injury & didn't physically do anything about it.
FWIW I'd doubt it's RSI or anything serious, more overwork as you said in a repetitive position. Try to search out a decent sports physio, but they can be expensive - about £30-40 a session.

Tendons and ligaments typically take far longer to heal, IME.
I would go and see someone..not a quack/GP..who can probably check a few things over and confirm what you suspect you have done.

In these situations, I am not a fan of masking the pain with pills... as pain is a check for overdoing things, and as tendons/ligaments are slow you heal
you do not need setbacks and restarts.

I am currently having to do this with an achillies injury and I am really nursing it... but am going to go to my physio for some realignment as well.
Legs and the lower back get out of whack far easier than hands and arms...but you can do hardly anything if you injure your arms/hands..

From my experience, skip the GP and go to a sports injury clinic. They will give you a proper assessment of what is wrong and what you need to do to get it fixed. Tendon problems typically involve using ice packs to relieve the inflamation and a bunch of stretching/strengthening exercises to sort it out. Wrong advice could set your recovery back a long way. Bite the bullet and go private.

I'd echo the advice to see someone about it - in the absence of proper diagnosis & treatment you may end up barking up the wrong tree, taking longer for it to heal, or even make things worse.

In my experience GPs tend to know less about these things than sports physios.

For what it's worth, some time ago I managed to get tennis elbow from doing bicep curls with a straight bar. It took a couple of months to heal. The problem was not with the weight as such, but the unnatural angles of the wrists & forearm caused by the straight bar. But that was tendonitis rather than a strain, so it may be different to your experience.

Jennifer

I think 'finding' you've strained your tendons is still misleading. When ever I've damaged something it's severe sharp pain immediately.

I still think it's overuse. Rest it. Your Bass playing wont suffer from 2 weeks of not playing. Don't worry about it too much. Especially if the pain is receeding.

I strained my finger tendon. Classic mallet finger. 6weeks of one finger right hand playing. I knew I'd done it instantly. Straight to hospital and into a splint. When I strained my achillies my foot went floppy and toes dragged on the ground. That took about 10years to fully recover.

Edited by TimR

I've had a few tendon/muscular issues and from my experiance I would go straight to a good Osteopath. Doctors don't know enough about it. 1 session with a good practitoner and maybe 2-3 follow-up sessions and you could be in a far better situation.