Why become a member? ×

Assumptions about Bass Players

Lowender

I think we all have a prejudice -- in that we "pre-judge" musicians based on initial perception.

In other words, if you hear a bad ass rick and roller, you wouldn't think he could play jazz very convincingly. (Because it would be unlikely). I recently met someone who work in a major symphony and was anxious to talk about classical music and as it turns out his favorite band was AC/DC. (?!?!?!)

The tendency to pigeonhole is obvious and natural. I do it all the time. lol

As an example, here is a clip from two guys to whom I'm subscribed on YouTube. One is known as a Chris Squire clone and the other as a solo bassist who plays guitar. Yet, in these clips, the CS guy is playing a really nice piece that is nothing at all like Squire. And the second is playing in a manner that is decidingly unlike a soloist. Cool stuff. But not everyone may agree.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LxcwOs3qj8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG3WkUZnmNY[/media]

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1365257659' post='2037307']
I'm fed up of people coming to the house (delivery men, boiler engineers etc), seeing the basses and asking "Does your husband play the bass" no he bleeding well doesn't.... I'm the bassist and damn proud of it!
[/quote]

LOL! Good one.

I'm fed up of people coming to the house (delivery men, boiler engineers etc), seeing the basses and asking "Does your husband play the bass" no he bleeding well doesn't.... I'm the bassist and damn proud of it!
[/quote]

My wife is equally fed up with people thinking I'm the surfer...

[/quote]

We have some old photos on the wall of Mrs FF in her showjumping days. Visitors are never confused by them because it's a typical girlie sport right? So they assume that the hydroplane powerboat racing photos must me. Er, no, that'll be Mrs FF as well. :lol:

People assume I must be introverted and moody because of my "image" (and looking at the pic in my avatar I can`t blame them) and are usually pleasantly surprised to find out I`m actually quite chatty, cheerful & daft.

The physio I was seeing last year enquired why I have so many "doom & gloom/evil" tattoos when I`m so cheerful and pleasant, and she suggested I get a tattoo of a fluffy kitten to balance things out!

Nah.

[/quote]

I'd say 'No.... Does yours, sweety ? '

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1365267317' post='2037464']

I'd say 'No.... Does yours, sweety ? '
[/quote]

Just read this to hubby, he reckons its a fair assumption, so maybe harsh. I thought it was funny! :lol:

In fairness, the last occurrence took place only yesterday with a British Gas engineer who was servicing our boiler. When I told him I was the bassist, he told me that he'd tried and failed to learn the bass and asked what bassists I liked.... I told him everyone from Steve Harris to Jack Bruce.... Turns out he was a HUGE Iron Maiden fan, and so we spoke about Iron Maiden music... Then Thin Lizzy... And just chatted basslines...... Was a really nice bloke...... But the longest boiler service I've ever had :lol:

Harsh ? Moi ??? ;)

I like to cook - and I particularly like to cook asian food which fills my hovel with spicy aroma. Some cheeky bastard on my doorstep once asked ' Hmmm...is your wife foreign?' !!!!!!!!!!!

It was several years ago - He should be using the toilet on his own again by now !

A couple of years ago I popped into a guitar shop in a town just up the coast. I commented, quietly but not quietly enough, to my wife that the place only had one bass in it. The shop owner, having heard me, commented that he knew I was a bass player the moment I walked in. I took it as a compliment, whether it was meant as one or not.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1365266363' post='2037442']
People assume I must be introverted and moody because of my "image" (and looking at the pic in my avatar I can`t blame them) and are usually pleasantly surprised to find ouet I`m actually quite chatty, cheerful & daft.

The physio I was seeing last year enquired why I have so many "doom & gloom/evil" tattoos when I`m so cheerful and pleasant, and she suggested I get a tattoo of a fluffy kitten to balance things out!

Nah.
[/quote]

Some of the nicest people I know have tatts with death heads, daggers, snakes etc. The ones you want to watch out for are the ones that say 'Mum'.

Edited by seashell

The most usual assumptions that people make about me are:

1) I'm the roadie - I run about pulling cables, hoisting kit and setting up lighting like a mad thing and shout at anyone who gets in my way more than twice.

2) That I'm only a bass player - I can play several instruments proficiently and can bluff my way through a number of others. I just prefer playing bass.

3) That I can only play folk music - that's a personal preference, not a professional limitation.

I love how when anyone in the band hears low end rumble, they assume it's because the bass player is too loud!

But the original comment is about assumptions in general. I've seen (once or twice) people right here on this forum (believe it or not) make a complete assessment about a player based on having heard them once for a minute. The thing is, some people may be better than you think, and in some cases, some people may sound great at one thing and later you find out that one thing was all they could do!

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1365276539' post='2037635']
People assume that if you play bass then you are a failed guitarist.
[/quote]

indeed, and they assume it's all about steady root notes for 3 chord songs and that anybody can play that.

guitarists are among the worst offenders, as they invariably feel they have to play fast or slap or something to be seen as "good"... but neglect to support the song.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1365276539' post='2037635']
People assume that if you play bass then you are a failed guitarist.

[/quote]

Not quite true in my case. I began playing guitar a year or two after my mates so I figured playing bass would give me a niche rather than trying to catch them up.

It's correct that the 'failed guitarist' assumption shouldn't be made - but I do think it's true of many bass players. It wouldn't bother me if I was. Roy Keane was a failed boxer but he did OK at football.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1365256479' post='2037277']
I think we all have a prejudice -- in that we "pre-judge" musicians based on initial perception.

In other words, if you hear a bad ass rick and roller, you wouldn't think he could play jazz very convincingly. (Because it would be unlikely). I recently met someone who work in a major symphony and was anxious to talk about classical music and as it turns out his favorite band was AC/DC. (?!?!?!)

The tendency to pigeonhole is obvious and natural. I do it all the time. lol
[/quote]

There's the ever so common "Bass is easier because it only has 4 strings, guitar has 6".

I was at an improv class the other night, and me and a drummer only turned up this week. We spent the entire evening working on our timing with different lessons and whatever, and at the end of the night, the guy running it said "You were unlucky, because if the guitarists were here, you would have looked great and they would have seemed rubbish".

It was also said that the bass and drums are what make a band, and that we only make the guitarist look better when we play good because most people aren't interested in bass or drums much.

Glory hogging bastards! :D