Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Assumptions about Bass Players

Lowender

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1365276539' post='2037635']
People assume that if you play bass then you are a failed guitarist.

Wrong!! I have no interest whatsoever in playing a six string guitar.
[/quote]

I have a huge interest in playing the 6 strings. But i've been playing guitar less than a year and bass over 2 years, so it's definitely not true that we are failed guitarists. It's only a true fool who would think that, as they clearly don't understand the important role drums and bass play in a band. As i said above, guitarist can do anything he likes, and it makes no difference, but bass and drums need to be ON IT!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1365322504' post='2037900']
There's the ever so common "Bass is easier because it only has 4 strings, guitar has 6".

[/quote]

I think bass is easier , certainly when starting out. I think it's much easier to be able to knock out a bass part than a guitar part in those first few awkward fumblings ( or was that girls....maybe!) and that encourages the fledgling muso to carry on. Beyond that , learning any instrument can be as easy or challenging as you care to take it.

I think drummers probably take up drums because they think they 'won't have to learn music' or something. ( I introduce our drummer by saying 'he's a drummer - how hard can it be - if he misses the drum he hits some f***ing thing' !!!)

I suppose guitarists want to be Slash and singers ....... well , are just a crowd of tossers who should stick to karaoke so I wont bother talking about them.

Most of us spend a while as a green wannabe - it's a requirement - so we do things for the wrong reasons. The arrogance of the beginner etc. What counts is learning to be better and better at whatever you choose to do and that will include understanding why some of your initial ideas were wrong.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1365322711' post='2037904']
I have a huge interest in playing the 6 strings. But i've been playing guitar less than a year and bass over 2 years, so it's definitely not true that we are failed guitarists. It's only a true fool who would think that, as they clearly don't understand the important role drums and bass play in a band. As i said above, guitarist can do anything he likes, and it makes no difference, but bass and drums need to be ON IT!
[/quote]
I wouldn't say they can do as they like and it makes no difference, it makes a lot of difference. In Music, if done correctly, each part is off equal but different importance.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1365323177' post='2037910']

I think it's much easier to be able to knock out a bass part than a guitar part in those first few awkward fumblings ( or was that girls....maybe!) and that encourages the fledgling muso to carry on.

[/quote]

Speaking as a girl, Dr Dave, I can certainly say that in my first few awkward fumblings I was definitely able to knock something out :P

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1365323177' post='2037910']
I think bass is easier , certainly when starting out. I think it's much easier to be able to knock out a bass part than a guitar part in those first few awkward fumblings ( or was that girls....maybe!) and that encourages the fledgling muso to carry on. Beyond that , learning any instrument can be as easy or challenging as you care to take it.

I think drummers probably take up drums because they think they 'won't have to learn music' or something. ( I introduce our drummer by saying 'he's a drummer - how hard can it be - if he misses the drum he hits some f***ing thing' !!!)

I suppose guitarists want to be Slash and singers ....... well , are just a crowd of tossers who should stick to karaoke so I wont bother talking about them.

Most of us spend a while as a green wannabe - it's a requirement - so we do things for the wrong reasons. The arrogance of the beginner etc. What counts is learning to be better and better at whatever you choose to do and that will include understanding why some of your initial ideas were wrong.
[/quote]

I find guitar a lot easier than bass. even after just 10 months or so, i'm fairly confident that i can write a decent little progression, and have been working on a few to record, which might be fairly simplistic, but effective. Bass, however, i still struggle. I don't think it's as easy just to knock up a little riff or groove on bass.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1365327706' post='2037982']
Funny thing is.....I always assume that guitarists are failed bassists!
[/quote]

My mate who is an excellent guitarist was a bit hopeless when playing my bass the other day. (Here's hoping he never reads this :D)

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1365322640' post='2037903']
"Is that your focus"?
[/quote]

Congratulations!

You have won the weekly "Tying two separate threads together prize!" Our sponsors in Nigeria will soon be depositing 1 million quid in your account. Just send me your bank account details over and we will sort it out :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1365327919' post='2037984']
My mate who is an excellent guitarist was a bit hopeless when playing my bass the other day. (Here's hoping he never reads this :D)
[/quote]
Lol. Why would he be good on the bass though? Its a completely different instrument. The bass lays the foundation, provides the drive, impetus, groove....skilled bassists are often the quarterback of the band. Timing is key. I know great, highly skilled guitarists who have awful timing (including my guitarist).

I consider the guitar to be a non-essential (rock and metal aside) instrument in a band. Bass is ALWAYS essential...unless we are talking about peruvian pan pipe music!

Listen to Weather Reports "Heavy Weather" for a perfect illustration of this. One of the greatest recordings ....no guitar within a country mile.

I am a failed guitarist, though I didn't take up guitar until a few years after starting to play bass, I am, however, rubbish at it. I tend to play it like a bass, although having been without a band for the best party of 20 years I tend to play the bass as a solo instrument (please don't throw rocks at me!). If you we're to see or hear me playing my banjo or my ukulele, you definitely recognise me as a bass player.

I HATE the "Bass is easier because it only has 4 strings!" Thing. OK, here play this violin, cello, banjo, balalaika...

Incidentally, what's the best way to differentiate between a bass and a guitar when taking about them on BassChat? See, I've done it in my question, but not everyone does it the same way, there's no standard. It was easier for me because I mentioned both in the same sentence. Some would say that the bass is a guitar and you can't just say 6 string because there are 6 string basses. Perhaps "the thin stringer"? Though it's rather inelegant.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1365344435' post='2038257']
Incidentally, what's the best way to differentiate between a bass and a guitar when taking about them on BassChat? See, I've done it in my question, but not everyone does it the same way, there's no standard. It was easier for me because I mentioned both in the same sentence. Some would say that the bass is a guitar and you can't just say 6 string because there are 6 string basses. Perhaps "the thin stringer"? Though it's rather inelegant.
[/quote]

Basses are planks, guitars are paddles :D

We are plank w***ers. :P

People tend to assume I'm not a musician, or rather, that I can't write melodies or harmonies or riffs. Some people have been quite surprised when I play them complete songs that I've written, including one (a guitarist) who said: "The bass is pretty good but who wrote the rest?", "I wrote all of it", "Really? But that guitar bit is really complex, aren't you just a bassist?". I think that is one of the only times I have actually done a facepalm.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1365353071' post='2038412']
People tend to assume I'm not a musician, or rather, that I can't write melodies or harmonies or riffs. Some people have been quite surprised when I play them complete songs that I've written, including one (a guitarist) who said: "The bass is pretty good but who wrote the rest?", "I wrote all of it", "Really? But that guitar bit is really complex, aren't you just a bassist?". I think that is one of the only times I have actually done a facepalm.
[/quote]

"I'm a musician." then walk away with your dignity intact.