Why become a member? ×

Multitasking while playing

danthevan

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1364852352' post='2031864']
I can sing, chat to the drummer and pick up his dropped sticks without missing a note.

As long as the note in question is a constant open E
[/quote]

Whilst this has given me a giggle, I'm the opposite, there is one song where a banging constant A is needed for a huge bit of the song, I struggle with this more than the rest of the set with far more complex basslines as its very easy to let your mind wander and forget to keep that rhythm pounding!

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]check out this young bassist [/font][/color][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qlWRMc4AeQ0"]http://www.youtube.c...e&v=qlWRMc4AeQ0[/url][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] plays bass sings & keys[/font][/color]

Being a 50% singer-songwriter-guitarist type I tend to play and do lead or backing vocals, but I really, really need to know one half of the equation by heart.
Mind you, I've only been playing bass for a couple of years so what I'm doing is probably a lot more simple than most of you folks anyway.

I used to sing and play acoustic guitar. But the singing/playing bass conundrum has made me realise that the guitar was a poor second when I self accompanied. Has made me less happy-go-down the folk club.

I reckon most of us can only put our all into one musical focus. Those who can do both... respect and awe from me.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1364489214' post='2027232']
I think I hit a peak when I was singing, playing bass and playing midi pedals at the same time. Mind you, needed a lie down after...
[/quote]

LOL - me too although it was in the days before midi!

My best ever achievement was breaking a string at the start of a song, changing it and tuning it up before the end with no one in the band noticing except the drummer! There was obviously a mix of left hand tapping and convenient open string notes going on.

Cheers

Ed

I used to struggle to sing and play anything other than a simple root note bass line .......
I then played for a living for a couple of years ...4/5 gigs a week and I remember vividly one night realising that I could sing and play...we were playing Lying eyes by the Eagles at the time ( :ph34r: )
I then proceeded to think up a variation to the bass line ...and then drifted off to think about what I was going to cook for supper...and felt really pleased with myself "finaly I've cracked this bass playing malarky"..... ;)

Now that I am back playing one or two gigs a month I fail miserably at singing bv and playing at the same time :D

I'm /never/ seen trying to stop the drummer ogling the cute blonde's arse.... does that count?

(photo one of 238 taken 1 every minute during a recent gig because I wanted to record a time lapse of the even for sh1ts 'n' giggles)

Can't sing and play unless it's a very simple bass part. With any type of harmony bass part I can only sing what I play or play what I sing. Can't answer the simplest question whilst playing either, and would dearly love to be able to tell the drummer to stop slowing down. Have ni idea how people like Mark King can do what they do.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1365356649' post='2038477']
I can sing, if I know the song and I can get the words out without thinking about it. I can't talk though. I'm like BB King when I talk and play. One bar of playing, pause to speak and then play again!
[/quote]

EXACTLY the same thing here. I also can sing if I know the bass line and the words by heart - but neither the bass or the vocals part can't be too difficult... Talking while playing, on the other hand, is out of the question.

I'm not good at multitasking in general - sometimes, I can even have troubles talking to a passenger while driving...

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1367422692' post='2065468']
Drunk people, as I discussed in another thread, seem to think that a bass player can play , sing and talk to them all at the same time. I have not mastered this troublesome technique as of yet, but would love to find someone who has!
[/quote]

A magical combination of head nodding, and quizzical looks has always worked for me.
:)

At the open mike night I was at a few weeks ago, we used the house back line. I couldn't hear my bass at all, so stepped infront of the PA speakers so I could hear myself.

There was this young down syndrome lad who took great exception to this and kept telling me to step back with the rest of my band. He thought I'd argued with them!!

Trying to explain, whilst playing the rather complex Jack Bruce Badge bassline, that I was stood there so I could hear what I was playing and that they were all still my friends was challenging to say the least ;)

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1364483521' post='2027109']

If people cant remember the chord structure of a song, but have the time to look, ask and comment on female members of the audience, then they need to decide what should take priority. ;)
[/quote]priority = tits