Why become a member? ×

Bass on a plane?

ziggydolphinboy

In your case (fnar fnar) what I'd do is invest in a full flight-case, which an expensive bass deserves anyway & from what I've heard are a lot cheaper than they used to be for the same standard of protection.
Failing that I'd ask the airline on their policy of you taking it on as hand luggage, which I've seen some people do, but obviously wouldn't know if they paid for the privilege.

Flightcase or Hiscox...and I'd suggest a graphite or bolt on neck, if you're got one? You may get away with carry on and gig bag, but there is no way to be sure until you get on the plane. I've found a Hiscox is the least stress option, but you can expect some damage to the case after a couple of flights (or even the first one).

EU rules are in the process of being changed and Airlines are being forced to accept instruments (up to a certain size) as hand luggage, don't say the Musicians Union does nothing for you...!
I'm not sure what the position is as of this moment as I only heard of this recently so it may well not be in force as I type, so check check check before you check if you get my meaning B)

Did a gig in Croatia in 2010, flew with Ryanair to Trieste in Italy then went by road into Croatia, we paid for extra seats for the guitars as they wouldn't let us take them as hand luggage and wanted too much money to put them in the hold.
Whats the gig?

SKB bass safe has seen me right for a number of long haul trips. Most airlines will allow an extra 10kg allowance for sportsgear and instruments. But not all...like Thai Airways for example. Air NZ will though. Guess which one I ended up using? Unaccompanied baggage is f***ing expensive when insurance and clearance fees are factored in. Only ended up being a hundred quid less than paying the excess baggage fees.

First off there is a 6-page thread about this [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/41208-flying-with-instruments-my-guide/]here[/url].

Secondly, no matter what you are told in advance by anybody including the airline, the ultimate decision on what you are going to be allowed to bring on board into the cabin with you rests with the check-in and cabin crew of your flight on the day of the flight. I would image this holds true even if you buy an extra seat for the instrument.

In light of this, invest in a decent flight case (Hiscox would be the minimum) and proper insurance. Remember that you can only lock the cases with approved locks that security/customs can open, otherwise they may well break into the case by whatever means they consider necessary with no regard for the contents inside. The standard practice is generally to use cable ties on those catches that allow it or otherwise seal the case shut with a couple of strips of gaffer tape around it.

The MU proposal is nowhere near coming into effect. All that has happened so far is that they've persuaded the EU legislator to look at it. Expect it to take at least a year before it becomes part of the rules (and then will only apply to flights within the EU) and for some of the cheaper airlines to do their best to ignore it.

BTW how does buying an extra seat for your instrument work? Every international fight I've been on in the last 10 years have required me to supply a passport number at the time of booking - I would expect two seats booked on the same passport to set off all sorts of security alarms. Also what do you do about securing the instrument and case during the flight?

Paying for extra seats was suggested by the airline and it was on the tickets that we were a group booking of nine seats but only six people and three large items. Maybe Ryanair saw it as a way to sell some extra seats on a half empty plane.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364066189' post='2021602']
BTW how does buying an extra seat for your instrument work? Every international fight I've been on in the last 10 years have required me to supply a passport number at the time of booking - I would expect two seats booked on the same passport to set off all sorts of security alarms. Also what do you do about securing the instrument and case during the flight?
[/quote]

I'll ask my Bro-In Law... I know a lot of folk in orchestras do this, but not sure exactly how it happens. My guess is you can't book the tickets online and you have to phone the booking agents and book on the phone. But I do know there's no-way his £68K cello goes in the hold. When you have that investment you don't rely on baggage-handlers to get it right.

Get a full flight case.
I fly with my bass all the time.
Always in the hold in a full flight case.
I really don't understand why you lot all make such a fuss about flying your basses - umpteen flights and never a problem.
Can I recommend this lot?
http://www.abscases.co.uk/

Here's a picture of mine
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:110304]

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1364284866' post='2024197']
Get a full flight case.
I fly with my bass all the time.
Always in the hold in a full flight case.
I really don't understand why you lot all make such a fuss about flying your basses - umpteen flights and never a problem.
[/quote]

I think for most it's the big weight difference. They're not practical to carry for any distance at all, so in effect it's a comparatively expensive piece which sits in a cupboard most of the time, in favour of a lighter case or gig-bag for week to week playing.

I'm not disagreeing with you - as to the best course of action for the OP, I have one myself - the insurance insisted on it.
I do remember seeing a young guy with something electric size in a gigbag put it in the overheard locker, that was fairly recently so it must be possible with some airlines which is why I said to check too.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1364290013' post='2024274']
I think for most it's the big weight difference. They're not practical to carry for any distance at all,
[/quote]
Weight of mine all in including the bass is 19kg which isn't so heavy really. It doesn't even attract excess baggage charges on most airlines although will have to go through the outsize checkin.
Furthest distance it gets carried is from the house to the car or from the rehearsal studio car park to the rehearsal studio...or the airport car park to the shuttle bus or the shuttle bus to a trolley or from the destination airport trolley to the back of the van or a taxi.....or from the taxi to the hotel lift or the venue dressing room...never far.
My bass lives in its flightcase when it's not being used and the flightcase goes everywhere the bass goes.
yes I do have another lightweight hard case for a Pbass but that never gets used these days as the full flight offers so much more protection when bashing into doorways etc.

Edited by Twigman

I opted for the Hiscox after getting fed up of carting a heavy full flight case around airports/carparks/shuttle busses etc. I view the Hiscox as almost a disposable option - it won't last as long, but it will protect the bass very well from most rough handling and I can keep it with me easily when travelling. The flight case always gets left in the van.

I like the idea of the SKB bass safe, (bass lives in gig bag, inside hard case) but they had a reputation for coming apart if the latches weren't tight? Anyone got any recent experience?

I know Easyjet specifically allow you to purchase an extra seat for instruments (within certain size limits) - you enter your own passport number and some specific text as the passenger name. Will work out cheaper than paying their hold baggage charges every time!

• 2 months later...

has anyone gigged in the U.S. ? i have just booked a gig in philadelphia and was wondering what the procedure was with regards flying and do i need to declare it on the way or is it just seen as luggage if its protected properly? (i was thinking of buying an SKB Bass safe)

cheers.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1364295314' post='2024372']
Buy a squier when you arrive in croatia, play gig. Sell squire, leave :lol:

Will probably work out cheaper
[/quote]

Yep, I'm off to Brazil at the end of the year on weeks tour, if the promoters don't want to hire me a bass at the other end, I am chucking my bitsa P fretless (which cost less than a 100 anyway) in my ABS case, and hoping for the best. If it dies, it dies.
:)

Not risking my very very cheap EUB in the hold, and a hard case for it would cost more than it's worth.

I've taken Sei basses in a full flight case, and locked, in the hold.

I made sure I had time the other end to do a quick neck tweak if necc.
Would I use the lower cost carriers and trust their handlers...er... ? no..!!
as weight and baggage limits can get silly