Why become a member? ×

Are all bassists in a band?

deejayen

When you first join this forum, you think everyone is a working player....
and certainly if you go through the GAS, gear and classified threads...
but it has all sorts.

You'll probably find plenty of gear in the classifieds that has never been giigged...
or even been fired up in anger...

You make up your own mind

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1363372435' post='2012067']
When you first join this forum, you think everyone is a working player....
and certainly if you go through the GAS, gear and classified threads...
but it has all sorts.

[b]You'll probably find plenty of gear in the classifieds that has never been giigged...
or even been fired up in anger...[/b]

You make up your own mind
[/quote]

My gear's been gigged, just by other people :)

Guest bassman7755

I think there are a lot "bedroom" guitarists, and not so many "bedroom bassists" because it a hell of a lot easier to find a band to play in for a bassist.

I discovered the joy of bass as a bedroom bassist. I was a guitar player in loads of bands for 20 years, then I got asked to do a dep gig on bass because I owned one, and while learning the songs by playing along with Live and Dangerous in my studio, I realised I really enjoyed it. So I don't really play guitar so much anymore, Admittedly I don't play on my own so much, but some of the happiest minutes of my life have involved putting Black Sabbath vol 4 on the turntable and plugging my bass in.
:)

Im a bedroom bassist my wife allows me a room in the house to keep all my bass gear stereo etc and i like just practising and recording on the computer, i have been in bands but could never find a happy medium of band life and home life
I left my last band as i just didnt find it enjoyable anymore and to me thats what its all about.

I started out playing bass on my own recordings, mainly as I kinda knew what I wanted, and it wasn't what any of my bass playing friends would do.
It's only relatively recently that I have been playing bass in bands. Although my previous project ended quite acrimoniously, I really learnt to love playing bass while involved with it, so I take that as a very positive thing. I'm playing bass in a three-piece band now and loving it!

For the first 6 years I played in bands and loved it. Then things went tits up and for the last 19 years I have played on my own. I practice scales a bit and play along to music sometimes, but mostly I just make it up as I go along, occasionally with a drum machine. I love playing and don't need a band, though if the right band situation were to come up I would love to do it again.

Living room player here. Right now, I have no desire to be in a band, though that will probably change, but I [b]am[/b] preparing to dep at some point.

I just enjoy listening to my bass - even though it's me who "plays" it.

A bass doesn't need a band for me either - the band in my head plays better anyway. :)

BTW, why do the YT heroes actually sit in bedrooms? Is this a cultural thing? I'd feel stashed away there.

best,
bert

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1363386025' post='2012296']
I left my last band as i just didnt find it enjoyable anymore and to me thats what its all about.
[/quote]
Snap, I spent last year basically rehearsing for what transpired to be one gig & I also do about one or two gigs a year with an originals band.
I've found I had more fun recently playing along to my mp3player with my head phones on at home to prepare for auditions than the bitching that goes on in bands.
I do miss the getting out of the house aspect, but playing at home's good fun.

I have been very fortunate that I have been in several bands, even made a little bit of money from playing, however due to ill health and redundancy for a couple of years my life then changed, its getting back on track now which is good, as to the Bass Guitar I never subscribed to the school of thought that is particularly prevalent at the mo that the bass should be only used to lock in with the drummer and be grooving and only be for the song, if that was the case all the guys that indulge in the mindless slap w***fests that drove people mad at the London bass guitar show would never be out there! IMHO.

As for me at the moment I play along to fave songs, work on new techniques, try to improve my reading and my other project is taking old 50's /60's surf/twang/rockabilly instrumentals and rearranging them for the Bass Guitar as the solo instrument, it does sound a little bit like Duane Eddy on steriods, but there is no reason at all that by showing good taste and adopting a reasonable ear to your music that the Bass can't be used as the lead instrument, thank god for John Entwistle.

For me Melody is the key and I find that the Bass GUITAR, as it is a guitar after all is capable of some beautiful melody lines and lead playing.

I am now in the process of getting a drummer and a hammond player and we are looking to go out as a three piece, I see us as a good opening act with a large curiosity factor and we will get some gigs from it, also going to record a simple 5 track CD.

Bottom line, got bass, play it, however and where ever you can and want (law willing!)

Edited by Lynottfan

Bedroom bassists here as well atm

Spent all my uni years playing in bands and doing other live mixing and recording projects.

Came home from uni about 6 years ago and had another band for about a year. Then I got a job with a horrible array of 10pm finishes, midnight finishes and the like.

I am now on management progression which means 5 days a week 7-1800 and usually have to work at 1 of my days off. Bad times indeed.

Plus my partner is not the wellest person and does need me to do quite a bit for her.

Coupled with the fact I don't own a car (unless someone's got a few grand for insurance).

I have been itching to get up and playing again but finding a decent set of musicians is hard...

Mainly I noodle about with music. I tend to learn everything I can in as many styles. This leads me to be more of a improvisational player. It really helps when judging songs and kinda ready knowing what should come where.

One day I'll put all this bedroom practice and time good use....

But I must add that just because I don't play in a band doesn't mean the passion isn't there. Playing bass is my hobby my outlet and my biggest passion.

Some would argue that having £000s of pro gear is daft...

But it makes Me happy... And that is all that matters when all is said and done.

Edited by ZenBasses

[quote name='ZenBasses' timestamp='1363514866' post='2013430']
But I must add that just because I don't play in a band doesn't mean the passion isn't there. Playing bass is my hobby my outlet and my biggest passion.

Some would argue that having £000s of pro gear is daft...

But it makes Me happy... And that is all that matters when all is said and done.
[/quote]

Words from the Wise.

b,
b

I can empathise with that. The reason I’ve always is played is for my own enjoyment and relaxation, and that’s had some bearing of how I’ve learnt, and what I play. I used to play in public a bit when I was a kid (had my first ‘gig’ at the age of 4 playing in church), and was in a band for a short time when I was in my late teens. I’m starting to dabble in recording now, and am shortly to start learning bass (when my new bass arrives). I’ll see how things pan out, but I’d be tempted to have a bash at playing bass in a band if the right opportunity came along, even though I imagine that guitar will always be my main instrument.

Not currently in a band and I don't practice at home so am I actually still a bassist?

I do have an audtion on Tuesday but the guitarist is confident that because I played so long in a wedding/function band (17years) that I won't have to practice anything so he didn't give me any songs to learn. :shok:

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1363561931' post='2014241']
Been playing in bands for 30 yrs since i was 18, love gigging but hate driving/ getting home at 3am, just bought all the "bedroom home recording gear so may well give that a go and se how i get on
[/quote]

Oh man, I love the drive home after a gig. Still buzzing, driving at :shok: miles per hour. Heightens the buzz.Can't be beat

I hate the post gig feeling, high as a kite, usually having drunk several gallons of coke, can't sleep.
And I'm usually at work early the next day, all bad bad combinations.
Though at my last gig/drive home I managed to save two big fluffy samoyed dogs from impending doom on a busy road.
I Took them to a 24hr vets & reunited them with their owners.
Still couldn't bloody sleep when I got back though.

I played 12 string guitar and a bit of Mandolin since the 60's. I can't read music but am a pretty adaptable rhythm player. Then in 2007 arthritis set in on my knuckles which made chords and hitting people painful (joking)

around that time our church band bass player moved south and we didn't have a replacement so as my wife also plays 12 string it was suggested that I learn bass. Knew nothing about them or how to play one so I bought a Mexican jazz, printed a bass neck diagram with all the notes marked and memorised it. I looked at some of the songs we do and it looked fairly easy......

It isn't!! I did quickly learn runs from one note to the next and I can accompany on a basic level without sounding too boring. Ann can read music so I just have the bass notes for songs written above the words :blush: I then add bits here and there to make it a bit more fluid and it works for the type of music that we do.

I'd like to be better but I understand bass, it's not instinctive when you've played guitar for so long, I can't easily 'jam along' so I get despondent and lazy and just do what's needed. I'd like to learn things like lucy in the sky with diamonds or we gotta get out of this place, but I'm not sure how to do it as I can't read music.

Plus I'm 66 so hardly ripe for a new career :lol: