Why become a member? ×

Balancing a setlist

SpaceChick

Always start with a song thats tight and confident

If you save your favs or what you believe are the crowd pleasers till last then keep an eye on the time and what the organizers are doing, if you get cut short you may wish to drop a few before the end songs.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363271551' post='2010784']

As for sequencing the set, somebody once said: "Start with a good one, end with a good one; the audience will never remember what came in between".
[/quote]

I heard that at an early point in my playing career - now nearer the end I know for sure there is much truth in it BUT ....... I set out from day one to make sure , as much as possible , that nobody would ever forget what I did in the middle of the set !! I suggest everyone does the same.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1363282425' post='2011037']
Always start with a song thats tight and confident

[/quote]

BUT ........

always make sure that first song is easy to play.

Most of us will never have the luxury of being driven from hotel room to gear filled warm up room to stage. More like freezing fire escape to knuckles rapped by door frames to stage. We need to warm up just as much as the top pros so don't take on complex stuff too early.

In fact - that's one of the best tips I can give anyone based on my experience.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363271551' post='2010784']
I'm with ChrisB and the Count. Small steps, easy victories. Simplify wherever possible.

As for sequencing the set, somebody once said: "Start with a good one, end with a good one; the audience will never remember what came in between".
[/quote]

Agree. Forget the "building up to the end" bit that some bands seem to want - you need to grab `em with the first song. If your opener isn`t a good one, people largely think that of you for the rest of the night.

Re the basslines, I`d largely forget arranging songs around these, the audience won`t be that bothered, unless the bassline is the main part of the song and instantly recognisable. Otherwise, no matter how good, it will be part of the song to them.

Dr Dave has just said what I was gonna post. Don't start with your flashiest song for your first gig.
Choose something that you can all play easily & sound good. The first gigging song is your most nerve wracking one & once you get the initial "ooh, an audience are watching me" stage out the way, you can then break out your fave basslines.

My singer always said that the first song is usually a throw away number that no one will remember, but it needs to get the audience's attention. Chuck the slow songs in the middle & maybe one near the end & finish with 2 really good songs that get everyone dancing & wanting more.

All the best with it & remember....

Have FUN! :D

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363283999' post='2011069']

BUT ........

always make sure that first song is easy to play.

Most of us will never have the luxury of being driven from hotel room to gear filled warm up room to stage. More like freezing fire escape to knuckles rapped by door frames to stage. We need to warm up just as much as the top pros so don't take on complex stuff too early.

In fact - that's one of the best tips I can give anyone based on my experience.
[/quote]

Yeah I meant tight and confident , as in one that's well rehearsed and therefore easy to play

Guys, following your feedback I have amended the order to start with an easy but catchy 12 bar blues, and ending on a lively song. I've put my first really challenging bassline as track 4 to ensure my first 3 are ones I'm mega confident with but we are starting with 2 very lively songs and then a ballad. And we are finishing on a ballad and two lively songs.

Hope the band approve of the order!

Thanks for the help and support!

I'm getting rather excited now!

well, what a difference a few days can make :dash1:

I sent the band the set order on Thursday..... Friday was bliss as I got comments back that people were happy with the order.

Then Saturday it all went t*ts up :(

Guitarist with cold feet..... "We aren't ready"...... "I'm not happy with some of our starts"...... "we need longer before we gig"..... "Our singer needs to be more commanding as a front person"...... :dash1:

Drummer then starts saying "Well he may have a point" :shok:

I get very very angry and throw my toys out of the pram!!!!!!!

We are looking at a 13 song set for a charity event (after we cancelled for the SAME charity last year) in 4 weeks time, we still have 4 practices to go. I have been in the band for 8 months now, I joined after the last bassist got fed up and left because they hadn't started gigging, he also stuck it for 8 months! So (albeit wih a change of singer) the band have been together for 16 months and have NEVER gigged..... OK there were 3 months taken off when the lead guitarist had cancer but still.

I have told them that if the 13th April charity gig doesn't go ahead I'm out.

However, I have an audition for another band tomorrow. This band seem really keen to get out there. If it goes well and I like them and they like me, I will be telling the other band that I will stay the 4 weeks until the gig (if it does go ahead..... although I very much suspect that it won't) and then I'm leaving.

I am, however, going to find another band..... my current band are definitely halting my progress as a bassist and enough is enough.

My poor bass teacher (sorry Mr Ace :blush: ) had it both barrels yesterday as I went off on one in my lesson :lol:

Damn that is bad, all the advice you have had so far Spacechick has been spot on, I was also going to offer forth make sure you have a bit of flexability in your set list, as if you have your crowd dancing for instance, don't play the ballad as its the next song on the list!

But from what you have just written I feel your pain, 16 months and NO gig??? I keep my fingers crossed for you, but that other band seems mighty tempting, if they have a sniff of a gig I would leave the others on the spot, get the break up out of the way as soon as and get yourself up and running with new guys. imho.

My advice to any bassist starting out is to concentrate on being solid and reliable. You are the bands metronome - getting flash and losing the tempo or place in the song is a complete no no. Get more adventurous when you can play everything with your eyes shut. Punters won't be listening to you anyway. With the set list, start and finish on a good'un. Try to avoid playing songs that sound similar or are in the same key next to each other. Good luck with whatever project you end up being a part of.

My setlist has some very difficult songs by Lamb Of God, Metallica, Anthrax, and some simpler ones by Drowning Pool, Alice In Chains, and RATM. once my hands are knackered after a bit of a thrash fest, the easier ones are a welcome break while still being great songs to play. And they allow me to concentrate less on my fretboard and more on the audience, so I can work on my metal face :lol:

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363686208' post='2015665']
Guitarist with cold feet..... "We aren't ready"...... "I'm not happy with some of our starts"...... "we need longer before we gig"..... "Our singer needs to be more commanding as a front person"...... :dash1:
[/quote]

Best advice for your guitarist: You'll NEVER feel ready for your first gig, just do it! The best practice you can possibly get at gigging in front of an audience, is gigging in front of an audience! I remember doing my first gig in the tinest pub you could possibly imagine, I had a 'herbal cigarette' to calm my nerves and my legs were STILL shaking all the way through the set! :lol:

I don't blame you for wanting to join another band... but who's to say if your current one pulls their socks up you can't do both?

16 months without playing a gig is far too long.

If its going to happen it happens fast as people "make it happen" rather than spend time making excuses.

My last band formed with me and vocalist ( from previous band together but only carried over 5 songs max ) and two guys we had never seen before and from first meet to gig ( two full sets etc at paid pub gig ) was two months !! We were ropey but two days later at next gig 100% better and that was it we were on our way.

I've heard of other bands that spend this amount of time rehearsing without gigging. It all gets more and more introspective until someone in the band is always looking for an excuse not to do the gig. These bands rarely end up being regular giggers. No first gig is going to be perfect, just need to take that plunge and then work on it from there. As a contrast I didn't even audition for my latest band, they sent me a set list, learned it at home and we thrashed it out on the night from cold. Not something I'd done before or necessarily recommend but the gig went fine, a full pub of happy customers drinking lots of beer for the management.

I've just had another stroppy outburst!! This is soooooo not like me!!

Text from drummer saying the guitarist wants a band meeting tomorrow not a practice..... I have responded with "I'm not having a meeting. We've had meetings upon meetings. We are a band, we are meant to play music. If its not a rehearsal tomorrow I'm not coming"

I have my audition a few hours before my practice (I've got a day off tomorrow, and other band members from new band are on morning shift), pray it goes well for me for my sanity!

Kev, you are right.... The guitarist is looking for excuses now and I'm not having it!!!

I feel bad as I recruited the new singer, and also I have one sixth shares in our PA.... But I'm happy to write that off now, it was only a cheap 2nd hand PA and the singer she's a good girl, I'm sure she will understand.... You live and learn!

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363721615' post='2016597']
I've just had another stroppy outburst!! This is soooooo not like me!!

Text from drummer saying the guitarist wants a band meeting tomorrow not a practice..... I have responded with "I'm not having a meeting. We've had meetings upon meetings. We are a band, we are meant to play music. If its not a rehearsal tomorrow I'm not coming"

I have my audition a few hours before my practice (I've got a day off tomorrow, and other band members from new band are on morning shift), pray it goes well for me for my sanity!

Kev, you are right.... The guitarist is looking for excuses now and I'm not having it!!!

I feel bad as I recruited the new singer, and also I have one sixth shares in our PA.... But I'm happy to write that off now, it was only a cheap 2nd hand PA and the singer she's a good girl, I'm sure she will understand.... You live and learn!
[/quote]
Lol, welcome to the world of making music with other people....band politics drive most players mental! I have seen some great bands ruined by annoying individuals. This is a really good thread btw.

Hope it works out for you. Gigging throws up the best of times, and the worst. The first few are a real rush though.

This reminds me of a band I was in 3 years ago. The material was awesome, so was the level of musicianship of each of the members. However, every other practice I attended (there were 3 rehearsals a week) the songs would have a different arrangement, more riffs, or be in a different key. It would take us ages to have everything gig worthy, and then every gig we did, the drummer would get confused and play the previous version of a song, throwing us all off and generally being a bit of an embarrassment. I was a member of this band for 18 months and we played about 4 gigs before deciding I'd had enough.

I saw them play on Sunday night, and they're even sloppier than ever!

I think you've been more than patient. MAKE THAT GIG HAPPEN!

Edited by chrismuzz

I really feel for you on this one , [b]you [/b]are stressing over the order in which you play the stuff your band can play , and you have the rug pulled from under you by members of the band not having the confidence of playing it . really bad, performing is ALL about getting up and doing it , your standard is irelevant , you will improve you have to start somewhere, and if members of the band are not prepared to start , its finished. you however, have had a learning curve to be proud of , share it with people who appreciate it and aren't afraid to stand up and be counted .