Why become a member? ×

Balancing a setlist

SpaceChick

We are getting at that scary stage where (and for those of you that have followed my band journey, try not to die of shock) we are getting ready to gig!

We have 13 songs which are under our belt now, and we are probably doing a charity gig in April (we will do one set and our drummers brother's band will do the other set), but we want to get "on the road" now as its been a long time coming.

I have had the task of arranging our setlist into an order.... I have started with a song everyone will know.... have tried to seperate the 12 bar blues numbers we have (3 of them), tried to mix between tracks where our male singer and female singer take the lead, tried to spread out the slower tracks we have, and end on a high.

Blimey Charlie..... it ain't half hard work!!!!

I am also having some personal debates..... 7 tracks have awesome basslines, 2 more have quite good basslines..... That leaves 4 which aren't setting me on fire.... the 3 twelve bar blues (which I have been playing simply) and one which has a very easy and repetitive bassline (which is what the song calls for).... I am tempted to breathe some extra life in the 12 bar blues, but want advice.... knowing that 7 tracks already showcase my skills (one is still proving challenging but I'm getting there) and I have never gigged as a bassist, and have last gigged as a classical musician over 20 years ago, should I just keep the 12 bar blues simple to give me some restbite in the set?

The sensible person in me thinks I should just keep it as simple blues basslines, the show off and performer in me knows I can make them far more special than they are currently...... but would I be biting off more than I can chew for my first gigs.

I think I'm of a mind to get a few gigs under my belt before I "tinker" with the basslines, but just wanted other peoples views.

Its been a long old time since I was last on a stage!! I can't bloody wait though :P

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1363268651' post='2010711']
Do what serves the song, rather than yourself, best.
Good luck :-)
[/quote]

the songs I think deserve more, the originals have more.... but what I have done is sufficient to "get the job done"..... probably enough for your average punter too.

My problem is I am a perfectionist!

Edited by SpaceChick

This is your first bass gig?

Keep it simple and effective. Don't worry about anything else. It might all go wrong but you'll probably be the only one who will notice.

You've plenty of time to worry about getting it "right".

Just enjoy the experience of this [i]first [/i]gig.

If nerves might be a problem (certainly was with my first dozen or so gigs) then start with a few that you know like the back of your hand.
Get settled in with those and work up to the less confident ones.

Of course you need to take the other members confident and less confident ones into account as well.

As a bassist you have to take on board the probability that no matter how much you are contributing to the band, unless you also happen to be the frontperson then most punters will barely acknowledge your existence never mind paying real attention to what you are playing. I'm not saying don't put a shift in but don't tie yourself in knots over minutiae either.
I sympathise with your problem wrt the set list. I was in a casual functions type band for a while in which I did some lead vox and we also had a female singer as well. We also had a fairly eclectic mix of songs and it can be something of a juggling act to suit all the variables. You are probably doing this already but a good halfway house option before full gigs are open mic/jam nights where you can pick 3 or 4 from your 13 song set each time and over a few of thes enights you will have gone through the whole set in sensible chunks and in front of a real audience.

Edited by KevB

I'd say get the first few gigs down & then tinker & develop your style as you go.

If you are a perfectionist then keep the bass lines solid & perfect rather than complicated & twiddly ......that's the lead guitarist's job & they are weird.......and they often hurt Gerbils.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1363269786' post='2010747']
If nerves might be a problem (certainly was with my first dozen or so gigs) then start with a few that you know like the back of your hand.
Get settled in with those and work up to the less confident ones.

Of course you need to take the other members confident and less confident ones into account as well.
[/quote]

Of course, its been a while, but previously I have been able to control my nerves when I was an Oboeist and an actress... I'm hoping because I'll not be the focus (being towards the back hidden under a hat and by my drummer) I will be able to control my nerves!! I may be completely naive in this mind! :lol:

kev - your response came in as I was typing, yep, I think that way too, so think I'll be OK..... I hope ;)

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1363270279' post='2010753']
......that's the lead guitarist's job & they are weird.......and they often hurt Gerbils.
[/quote]

Ain't they just!! And my band has 2 lead guitarists (one who sings) and a rythym guitarist too..... I wonder I get heard! However, I miss one rehearsal (bike accident 2 hours before) and it all fell to pot.... I think the band then realised how much the low end holds it all together ;)

Sounds like you have done a good common sense job balancing your set list.
Inevitably you may be playing stuff that doesn't appeal to you personally, has a dull bass line or one that must be followed correctly to make the song work.

Unfortunately the songs and the punters come first but on 12 bars that belong to no particular artist then yes, why not do what you want and add your own touch. No one including your own band mates will be paying that much attention.
Just enjoy and if it all goes horribly wrong just revert to the basic pattern.

I'm sure it will go well – you sound a lot more organised than many.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1363271540' post='2010783']
No one including your own band mates will be paying that much attention.

I'm sure it will go well – you sound a lot more organised than many.
[/quote]

i'd spent the weekend improving a bassline on one track... played it for hubby to the original track and he said "That sounds good", I smiled thinking he'd appreciated my enhancements... until he added "But thats been on your setlist for a while, so why are you playing me it".... goes to show, even those married to bassists don't notice.

As for being organised........ The band said its good to have someone bossy..... I tell them them I'm not bossy, I'm vocally organised. But these organisation skills have ensured that people have known what they need to be doing.... so thye do thank me for it! :P

If they aren't paying, they will not expect much... start well, end strong and just don't fall apart in the middle.
That is all they can expect to get so anything more that you can deliver is a bonus.

Don't beat yourself up for zip... enjoy it and if that comes across, you have crossed the first hurdle

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1363270067' post='2010751']
most punters will barely acknowledge your existence never mind paying real attention to what you are playing.
[/quote]

This. The sort of audience you'll get for a cover band won't be music listeners or musicians, so they won't notice what the bass player is doing.

But by all means busy up your parts if it keeps you entertained, just take care not to crowd the arrangement with over-playing.

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1363268794' post='2010715']
the songs I think deserve more, the originals have more.... but what I have done is sufficient to "get the job done"..... probably enough for your average punter too.

My problem is I am a perfectionist!
[/quote]

Sorry - maybe i focused on the "show off" and "showcasing your skills" aspect of your post too much - didn't want you going all Jaco in the middle of Red House :D

If you genuinely feel that your newer basslines make the songs better, then go for it. Like others have said, if you don't feel confident that you can do it effortlessly, then hold back till you can, maybe by 'upgrading' a couple of songs per gig. The perfectionist in you should be satisfied that you are making steps to make everything right, but avoiding any trainwrecks in the process.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1363273039' post='2010826']
didn't want you going all Jaco in the middle of Red House :D

[/quote]

In my dreams :lol:

I have tried to be sensible in my arrangements, and I took up the bass because I love the way that basslines provide structure and order to many songs. Maybe I was wrong saying "show off" and "Showcase my skills" I mean that in a blend into the background like a good bassist should sense ;)

I think most bassists take up the bass because they aren't big show offs, if they were real show offs they'd be lead guitarist, so I did mean show off in a subtle understated bass way :lol:

I do certainly want to avoid trainwrecks..... although if last nights rehearsal is anything to go by they'll be from our drummer or lead guitarist :o

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363271551' post='2010784']
somebody once said: "Start with a good one, end with a good one; the audience will never remember what came in between".
[/quote]

Great advice! It is always really satisfying at the end of the night when you are packing away to hear punters leaving whilst singing or whistling the last song you played! Even better if it was an original song :happy:

There are just so many variables in composing a set list. At least you only have 13 tracks, so presumably you get to play ALL of them! Wait till you have more songs than you need and you have to start rotating them.... you also have to factor in things like instrument changes or tuning changes. In one band a few years ago, I tuned my E string down to D, which was no problem. But when I forgot to tune it back up to E for the next song... :o :D

I always prefer it if you start with three ot four really catchy, up-tempo numbers. Then you can drop the pace a bit and maybe work in a ballad or two (if you have any) before building up again towards the finale. You might want to think about what you plan to do (if asked) for an encore? Keep a good track in reserve? Play the one that went down best again?

I'm not sure you can ever be prepared for every eventuality though. :(

I much prefer working to a setlist though. In one band a few years ago, the singer decided to do away with setlists and just call the set "as he felt it". It was a bloody nightmare as he plays no instruments so had no idea about the kind of changes that musicians might need to make between songs, like tuning or changing guitars for example. He said it would "keep us on our toes" but all it did was rob the set of any momentum and cause some pretty spectacular train-wrecks. :angry: Tosser.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1363271551' post='2010784']
I'm with ChrisB and the Count. Small steps, easy victories. Simplify wherever possible.

As for sequencing the set, somebody once said: "Start with a good one, end with a good one; the audience will never remember what came in between".
[/quote]

+ 1 Wise words indeed.

We are starting with Another Brick in the Wall (part 2 for purists!), so I'll either use my 5 string or drop tune to D to start and then tune back up to E afterwards whilst our lead singer is introducing the band. The band agreed last night to finish on knocking on heavens door.... which I don't think is the best choice..... personally I'd rather Can't get enough of your love as thats a really uptempo song. However, 2 of our band members were in a previous band and had finished on KOHD before and said it went down really well.... so we will see :P

In work today, I re-arranged the set on my iPod and listened to the flow as I worked.... it seemed to flow nicely... tonight now I am going to see if it has the same flow when I play it ;)

Just spoken to the drummer...... its looking like either Friday 12th or Sat 13th April...... eeeeekkkkk exciting :D

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1363278591' post='2010963']
Better to think in terms of YOUR best song rather then the best song that you think is most popular.
[/quote]

In fairness then we've probably got it right, as I have started with 2 of our three strongest songs, and knocking in heavens door is our third strongest (although sometimes our rhythm guitarist can't resist going maverick and doing an extra guitar solo... just cause he doesnt often get the chance :lol: )

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1363277686' post='2010941']
Start with your best up tempo song - end with your second best. Put the ballad in the middle and follow it with the novelty song.

Job done.
[/quote]

Hmmm novelty song eh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htdvdm7cJnA