Why become a member? ×

rickenbacker police

teaser360

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1363523075' post='2013558']
My comments on the official RIC corporate forum got wiped.
He fobs someone else off here [url="http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4627&start=10"]http://www.rickenbac...t=4627&start=10[/url]
Ending it with 'Let's move on' is just a tad condescending.
[/quote]

Just read that link. What a dog. With my BlueBoy blotching up like nicotine yellow in places, his reasons were:-[list]
[*]Smoke-filled home/environment
[*]Prolonged exposure to sunlight
[*]Exposure to UV light
[/list]
There was no explanation for the reaction nor any apology for what had happened or that they would look into it. But it was his rudeness that got to me. I'll bet he was one of those kids who had his play-piece nicked offa him at school to make him turn out thus.

Edited by Stacker

I started by basically saying I have no warranty, but what do I do? Advice please.

If he had come back to me and said "The binding will need replacing" or "Rubbing the affected binding gently with a cloth dipped in x will get some result" would have completely resolved the matter for me, but no, he wanted World War III.

I'd still love to meet him at a trade fair and have that bass with me, hand it to him and say "Is this really good enough?"
[i]Still no threat intended.[/i]

[i][size=3][size=4]'......I'm working on behalf of your government on a legal matter in the North...' - [/size][/size][/i][size=3][size=4]Love it! An air of mystery to wrap around his cloak of megalomania.[/size][/size][i][size=3] [size=4]'[/size][/size][/i][size=4]Working' for HM Government? Doing what, one wonders?[/size]

Edited by Stacker

Can we have a picture of the binding and bleed sideways on? [size=4]I did the Ric thing in my early 20s, it was blue.[/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]There is a very clear message for me about the support I would get if I unknowingly purchased a 'grey' import. [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4] Always good to see manufacturers standing by the quality of their products and letting that quality stand for itself with end users.[/size]

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1363527863' post='2013635']
Can we have a picture of the binding and bleed sideways on? [size=4]I did the Ric thing in my early 20s, it was blue.[/size][size=4]There is a very clear message for me about the support I would get if I unknowingly purchased a 'grey' import. [/size][size=4] Always good to see manufacturers standing by the quality of their products and letting that quality stand for itself with end users.[/size]
[/quote]

The standout bit for me is quoted below. Even if this weren't a grey import JH seems to be saying there is no manufacturers warranty for anyone outside North America. There are other laws in the UK which should allow for some redress should things go wrong of course, but interesting that RIC wash their hands (presumably in non-biological soap) of responsibility for the rest of the world.
[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1363523641' post='2013570']
[size=2]2. If it was new, the guitar was registered, and you were [b]resident in North America[/b] (It isn't and you aren't)[/size]

[/quote]

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1363534441' post='2013728']
The standout bit for me is quoted below. Even if this weren't a grey import JH seems to be saying there is no manufacturers warranty for anyone outside North America. There are other laws in the UK which should allow for some redress should things go wrong of course, but interesting that RIC wash their hands (presumably in non-biological soap) of responsibility for the rest of the world.
[/quote]

They do. Rosetti are responsible for handling Rickenbacker warranties in the UK.

I remember the MID finish threads & I think Rickenbacker could have handled the problem a lot better than they appeared to. As that particular bass was bought from a shop, albeit not a Rickenbacker dealer, I wonder if the problem could have been pursued through the Sale of Goods Act.

[/quote]Yeah this is what gets me. For a guy who 'cares' so much about intellectual property in order to allegedly maintain high quality, he shouldn't give a monkey's about how or where one his prized products was bought, the fact that there was quality control issue should have been paramount. After all it was still a genuine Ric.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1363527072' post='2013624']
[i][size=3][size=4]'......I'm working on behalf of your government on a legal matter in the North...' - [/size][/size][/i][size=3][size=4]Love it! An air of mystery to wrap around his cloak of megalomania.[/size][/size][i][size=3] [size=4]'[/size][/size][/i][size=4]Working' for HM Government? Doing what, one wonders?[/size]
[/quote]

Hey! Don't do that! Looking right through the esteemed J. Hall Esq? The nerve!
Learnt you nothing from Ibsen's Wild Duck, lad?
"Deprive the average human being of his life-lie, and you rob him of his happiness.”
:)

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor

[size=4][quote]I'm working on behalf of your government on a legal matter in the North[/quote][/size]

[size=4]How very enigmatic. Possibly a euphemism for sewing mailbags in Strangeways while serving 2 years for Aggravated Gobsh*te-ery?[/size]

[color=#FFFFFF][size=4].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

Of course if it was purchased through an Official supplier this paint wouldnt have crossed? I really dont know how they get away with it. I sell 20 cars a week and most have manufactures warranty although I am not a official main dealer the manufactures warranty still stands! Grey import or otherwise.Albeit slightly different warranties. Its a quality control issue and I cant understand why its not covered. Like you say though,they cant give a monkeys! You wouldnt have this problem with a cheap Korean bass. Slightly off subject,my mate had bought a new Marshall Valvestate combo which blew a speaker,took it back to the official outlet were purchased in Notts and they could have sent it away but with no "borrower" amp. Rang Marshall they took the serial number and sent him one out 1st class,no questions!! Thats support

[/quote]

eh? I don't like the guy, but... his point 1) rather than the 2) you quoted covered that... no?

[quote]
[size=2]1. If it was new and legally imported into the U.K. (It isn't)[/size][/quote]

[quote]

[size=2]2. If it was new, the guitar was registered, and you were [b]resident in North America[/b] (It isn't and you aren't)[/size]
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][quote][color=#282828]I'm w@nking on behalf of your government...[/quote][/color][/size][/font]
[color=#282828][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=4]Fixed.[/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4][quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1363539955' post='2013811']Deprive the average human being of his life-lie, and you rob him of his happiness.[/quote][/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=4]Dammit, rumbled! I'm actually a 75-year-old Lithuanian woman who breeds donkeys.[/size][/font]

Edited by discreet

Seems straightforward to me on several counts:

You manufacture a product - one that will be handled by people who wash hands (if you are lucky), it is a bass so this is not unexpected.

You are in an age where customer expectation of quality is high, we are used to Japanese, Korean, Chinese, German kit (cars, electronics, guitars and basses)

You live in an age where the Internet makes it easy to show customer experience and product quality to the world.

Business 101 here......

Kia car, secondhand, may cost £1000 more than a Ric. The warranty is 7 years. Go figure. Guess the paintwork only has gentle conditions to operate in.

Free market, so free to take my money elsewhere. I think someone should take a look at what Chinese built guitars offer, quality is up there with both my 'premium' non Ric USA basses. My Chinese bass cost £150 s/h, it is 'perfect', top quality woods, ebony fingerboard. What price USA exclusive IP.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1363556551' post='2014144']

eh? I don't like the guy, but... his point 1) rather than the 2) you quoted covered that... no?
[/quote]
Yeah, you're right actually (as is Jonsmith). I read that as meaning both points had to apply.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1363539955' post='2013811']
Hey! Don't do that! Looking right through the esteemed J. Hall Esq? The nerve!
Learnt you nothing from Ibsen's Wild Duck, lad?
"Deprive the average human being of his life-lie, and you rob him of his happiness.”
:)

best,
bert
[/quote]

I am not [i]au fait[/i] with Ibsen's work but I like that quote. Reminds me of not a few folk I know!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1363594125' post='2014362']
I like that quote. Reminds me of not a few folk I know!
[/quote]

Ain't that the truth! I'm flabbergasted about the amount of times I feel forced to remember that quote.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1363608826' post='2014585']
Waffen at work....
[/quote]

:lol:

I'm amazed at the sheer pig-headed arrogance..

As I said earlier, I don't like the products they offer but even if I did, I would NEVER buy one after reading through this..

Many years ago, (much like the Marshall story on the prev page) I had trouble with a BG series Celestion speaker in a Trace Elliot combo but it was seemingly a known weak point and under warranty they installed an upgrade 200w Celestion Q range in it's place without question or quibble..