Why become a member? ×

rickenbacker police

teaser360

Errr... RIC has a trademark in it's headstock design, but the clue's in it's name - it has to be for trade to infringe. It's also got to be in a particular category, in this case 'musical instruments'.

A cake for someone's personal use doesn't exactly infringe, so perhaps a bit of an over-reaction? They've also trademarked the word 'Rickenbacker' - that doesn't mean nobody else can use it without a license from RIC!

Never had dealings with Ric. I'm another potential customer put OFF by the loony, petty behaviour. Same as I don't see me owning an ebmm bass again for similar reasons, especially after a personal run in with that particular slice of fruitcake.
The thing that freaks me out the most is the hysterical, fawning fan boys, who seem oblivious to the fact that its so transparent to the rest of the world that they are hoping to be 'rewarded' or at least 'recognised' in some way for their scary and dogged determination to defend 'their brand' and its figurehead. I don't think some of them can even admit it to themselves!
It's weird and creepy, the simmering insta-bile that starts to froth the minute they sense even a hint of rationed or reasonable negativity toward their prefferred brand is numbing in its predictability and sniveling servility, and I really wish they'd get a grip, it's a very odd personality trait that I just don't 'get'.
Im not just referring to the Ric folk I hasten to add, but the act of hysterical fanboy-ism itself, ebmm, a certain brand of cab and apple spring to mind pretty quickly.
I truly don't think they even realise they are doing it most the time.
Ah well, it's a funny old world and it takes all sorts I guess.

Edited by gafbass02

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1364115236' post='2021945']
Never had dealings with Ric. I'm another potential customer put OFF by the loony, petty behaviour. Same as I don't see me owning an ebmm bass again for similar reasons, especially after a personal run in with that particular slice of fruitcake.

[/quote]

I'm in the mood for sampling fruitcake this morning; care to expand on your experience??

I was looking, a while ago, for some advice on rectifier valves for my then newly acquired '59 Fender Bassman and was given a heads-up about the snidey comments I might receive from some of the denizens on the Fender Forum. And that person was spot on! Still, nothing beats the true fanboi and Ball-ache and Toad Hall have plenty of them to massage their egos over t'interweb.

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1364115236' post='2021945']The thing that freaks me out the most is the hysterical, fawning fan boys, who seem oblivious to the fact that its so transparent to the rest of the world that they are hoping to be 'rewarded' or at least 'recognised' in some way for their scary and dogged determination to defend 'their brand' and its figurehead. I don't think some of them can even admit it to themselves![/quote]

Oh this^ very much this^.
I see in both cases where this arises the CEO is active on the forum in question, so I can only put it down as them looking for a pat on the head. Quite pathetic really, the prefect bass has never been invented yet (apart from mine ;) ) so to practically deify a lump of wood is infantile.

There are two things I can see from this thread...

1. A lot of the complainers simply don't want to pay the current prices for a real Rickenbacker. The way I see it is the bass costs this much. If you don't think it's worth it then buy something else instead. There are plenty of other basses available, it shouldn't really be a problem.

2. The CEO of RIC is a bit of an arse... Personally if I was in charge of this forum and Mr Hall had come to me with his various demands regarding copyright infringement, I'd have told him that since on an internet forum it is impossible to verify the authenticity of any Rickenbacker-shaped instrument, in order to comply we would be removing all references to Rickenbacker from the site permanently. After all you can't even discuss the brand without referencing some well-known users, many of whom played copies rather than the real thing, and safest way to avoid any trouble would simply be not to allow any mention of the brand at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364126098' post='2022078']
1. A lot of the complainers simply don't want to pay the current prices for a real Rickenbacker. The way I see it is the bass costs this much. If you don't think it's worth it then buy something else instead. There are plenty of other basses available, it shouldn't really be a problem.
[/quote]

I actually really like them. The one I played recently was so well made, great sounding, and great looking, and had such a flawless neck and fretwork that I would say it was worth the asking price. Would I buy one? ... If I wasn't such a Peavey fanboy then I would definitely save for one!

I can understand WHY John Hall is doing what he's doing. RIckenbacker, to me, do have an air of exclusivity about them and it's probably due to the high price, and the availability of copies being limited. I still think that the way the guy comes across is not very good. Doesn't make him look like a very pleasant person, and it clearly is beginning making the brand unpopular.

Luckily I'm already put off by the products they produce, personally I have never been a fan boi for a particular brand and if anything I like to point out the flaws to anyone that has an interest in Rays rather than them spend money on a bass that can be heavy with a clubby neck for example, best bet is to go for a pre eb and avoid the ebmm site imo. I have found Ric fans and ebmm fans to be the worst followed by ashdown regarding amps! Wooly tat :D

I think the thing that annoys me the most about some of these 'premium brand' companies is their total disconnection from good PR.

Having a good public image is something that needs to be worked on constantly.
It is not something that you can attain and then protect forever just by threatening legal action whenever you see or hear something that calls the quality of your product or business ethics into question.
It makes your business look shallow, petty and unprofessional.

Look at the 'grey import' issue that was discussed here earlier.
That has 'cost' the manufacturer more in potential lost sales, dented reputation and customer disconnect than it would have cost them to resolve the manufacturing defect.
If they had resolved the problem then they'd have looked like an absolutely superb company.

It's such a shame to see these companies relying on the depth of their pockets to 'win' battles that should never have got started in the first place.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1364136236' post='2022266']

The Ric I tried was played through an Ashdown amp... I liked it :ph34r:
[/quote]
Liking both products is fine, blatantly denying that they can have some issues, neck dive and wooly etc is the problem for me, Ebmm rays with bare necks get dirty quickly and genz shuttles can be a bit digital sounding for some people, I get it and can cope with knowing not everyone desires my gear. :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1364138232' post='2022307']
Liking both products is fine, blatantly denying that they can have some issues, neck dive and wooly etc is the problem for me, Ebmm rays with bare necks get dirty quickly and genz shuttles can be a bit digital sounding for some people, I get it and can cope with knowing not everyone desires my gear. :)
[/quote]

Totally! I love my Markbass gear, even though my F1 head has a bad fan that you sometimes have to blow into to get running when you first turn it on. It's never failed me despite that! And every single Peavey I own has got something that needs work on, but at the price, and the cost of fixing it it's still worth it to me because they sound and feel great to me.

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364126098' post='2022078']
Personally if I was in charge of this forum and Mr Hall had come to me with his various demands regarding copyright infringement, I'd have told him that since on an internet forum it is impossible to verify the authenticity of any Rickenbacker-shaped instrument, in order to comply we would be removing all references to Rickenbacker from the site permanently. After all you can't even discuss the brand without referencing some well-known users, many of whom played copies rather than the real thing, and safest way to avoid any trouble would simply be not to allow any mention of the brand at all.
[/quote]

Good luck with that policy. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...