Why become a member? ×

Decal or No

Guest MoJo

I got one of these [url="http://www.haneberg.se/Pbass_70.htm"]http://www.haneberg.se/Pbass_70.htm[/url] for my bitsa. 90s MIJ P.Bass body, Mighty Mite jazz neck, J. East P. retro and Wizard Trad pup. Black/Black/Maple. Seemed a bit nude without anything on the headstock, really, and so as looks a bit 70s-ish I stuck the decal on rather than keep it blank. I am glad I did although I cannot really say exactly why. I personally think the problem with 'humorous' decals is not everyone thinks they are funny or clever. If there is no intention to deceive anyone when it comes to moving the bass on then I don't see the problem.

Incidentally, that is *exactly* what it looks like - I thought maybe it had been left in the sun or the printer had run out. Actually quite like it now it is on.

My Custom P has a Fender decal, but as it has no serial number and mixes up features from 50s, 60s and 70s basses in a way that was never available from Fender, I don't think anyone's going to be fooled if they come to buy it (which will be after my death, by the way). [size=4]In any case, it's better than a stock Fender - it's like putting a Ford logo on a Lexus. Or something.[/size]

[size=4]Edit: It's interesting that when this issue arises on TalkBass, they go really nuts about it. I was told by an American that 'I should be ashamed' because my custom bass has a Fender decal. I think Americans 'should be ashamed' at their government's foreign policy and using a decal or not is a minor point in the great scheme of things, but that's another issue. :D[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1362678267' post='2003287']If there is no intention to deceive anyone when it comes to moving the bass on then I don't see the problem.[/quote]

It's when they get sold down the line, at some point once it's out there, there could be a seller who's more inclined to be more economic with the truth.
It's a fair point, often made, and is especially "thought provoking" on the Rick resource" forum. :lol:

The thing to do is stick it under a bed in an uncle's loft to get some aged patina about it.

Was it this one - brass nut/Wilkinson bridge/Fender pickup?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SX-P-Bass-/221187538133?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item337fcdfcd5&nma=true&si=X5e3qnwqgbI7DQNhSdSCXx7Yf%252Fw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If so, small world! And if it is said bass, I can vouch for the seller stating that the pickup is a Fender 'Original Vintage' pickup as I'm the one did the upgrades (mirrored scratchplate, brass nut, bridge, CTS pots, Fender pickup) and sold it to him. ;)

The stock SX pickups weren't much to write home about, and considered DiMarzios but went with the Fender Originals for it instead. The bridge pickup cover was one I had lying around and threw it in.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1362679928' post='2003314']
It's not a Fender. Faking it with a tacky transfer isn't going to turn it into one.

If you're concerned, as you say, with that "authentic look" then buy a Fender P-bass, no?
[/quote]

I've had 'real' Fenders in the past, MIM, CIJ and MIA. None of them were as right for me as this SX. I'm wary about buying another Fender only to be disappointed.

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1362662992' post='2002927']
I play in a classic rock covers band and recently bought a Phil Lynott look-a-likey SX P-bass. It's a great looker, great player and now with a set of DiMarzio pups in should sound as a good P bass should (I'll find out at rehearsal tonight). I know this is going to divide opinion, but I want to put a 70's Fender Precision Bass decal on to give it a more authentic look (the SX decals aren't doing it for me). Part of me is feeling that I'm a bit picky worrying about the decal on the headstock as part of 'the look'. What does everyone else think? Has anyone else done this?
[/quote]

If you don't like the logo, remove it and leave it blank. A fake Fender logo is lame.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1362682516' post='2003366']
My bass has nothing on the headstock. I get a lot more questions asked about it over the Fender's everyone else are playing. :lol:
[/quote]
I really like blank headstocks, they look cool.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362682918' post='2003373']
I really like blank headstocks, they look cool.
[/quote]

+1

Dont bother with any decal.

Just out of interest, if anyone on here with a genuine Fender damaged their neck and sourced a replacement that with a blank headstock, would they put a decal on?

Edited by mentalextra

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1362681596' post='2003350']
I've had 'real' Fenders in the past, MIM, CIJ and MIA. None of them were as right for me as this SX. I'm wary about buying another Fender only to be disappointed.[/quote]

Get a Fender decal, what's the big deal? It's entirely up to you. You're not doing it to defraud anyone, you're doing it for authenticity. You're trying to create a lookalike Lynott bass, no? Go for it! Your decision and yours alone.

Don't look for approval on here, you won't get it! 20,000 bass players = 100,000 different opinions! :D

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1362682516' post='2003366']
My bass has nothing on the headstock. I get a lot more questions asked about it over the Fender's everyone else are playing. :lol:
[/quote]

Mine did for years, I got sick of the questions and stuck a fender decal on it. Now I only very occasionally get the odd ubergeek coming up to me after gigs and saying "you know that's not a real fender don't you?" to which i say yes. And sometimes give them a round of applause.

My other precision has Dave scrawled on the headstock in black marker. Never sure which I prefer to be honest, i did the fender faking ages ago to see if I could. Never selling that bass anyhow, had it for 20 odd years, and still my main gigging bass.
:)

You decide. It's your bass. But since you chose to ask the question: I'd not sell it on with that decal still present.
My bitsa Jazz is gonna be called a Finder Jazz Bitsa, thus clearly showing what it is, whilst retaining the capitals F, J and B.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1362690355' post='2003518']
My bitsa Jazz is gonna be called a Finder Jazz Bitsa, thus clearly showing what it is, whilst retaining the capitals F, J and B.
[/quote]

Fantastic, Joyful and Brilliant. *hollow laugh*

[quote name='Green Alsatian' timestamp='1362681450' post='2003347']
Was it this one - brass nut/Wilkinson bridge/Fender pickup?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SX-P-Bass-/221187538133?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item337fcdfcd5&nma=true&si=X5e3qnwqgbI7DQNhSdSCXx7Yf%252Fw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

If so, small world! And if it is said bass, I can vouch for the seller stating that the pickup is a Fender 'Original Vintage' pickup as I'm the one did the upgrades (mirrored scratchplate, brass nut, bridge, CTS pots, Fender pickup) and sold it to him. ;)

The stock SX pickups weren't much to write home about, and considered DiMarzios but went with the Fender Originals for it instead. The bridge pickup cover was one I had lying around and threw it in.
[/quote]

That's the one. Its good to know that the sellers claim that they were Fender pick ups is true

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1362692764' post='2003591']
I'd say that if the bass is worth playing then it doesn't need a decal and if you want the decal then buy a Fender.
[/quote]

+1.

Took my Japanese Squier P when I gigged in Sweden last, had a guy come up to me from the audience after asking me what year my bass was from, he thought it was a 60's P and he knew his stuff, he just couldn't see the Squier logo from where he was sat in the auditorium. I showed him it was a Squier, he asked me why I was playing one, I told him it sounded good. I know he did too because he told me before he found out it was a Squier!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1362693097' post='2003595']
+1.

Took my Japanese Squier P when I gigged in Sweden last, had a guy come up to me from the audience after asking me what year my bass was from, he thought it was a 60's P and he knew his stuff, he just couldn't see the Squier logo from where he was sat in the auditorium. I showed him it was a Squier, he asked me why I was playing one, I told him it sounded good. I know he did too because he told me before he found out it was a Squier!
[/quote]

That's a great story :)

But for me it's not about the 'sound' of a bass anymore, it's about the build quality, comfort and ergonomics, the looks, way it rests, the way it makes my hands feel, whether it screams PLAY ME! The sound can always be changed. The others can't.