Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I want a P bass shocker!

Dread Bass

So as you can see from my gear list I am not into classic basses. Over the last few months I have become drawn to the sound of flat wounds. What's more I am now gassing for a P bass! What has happened to me! I used to hate them. I am thinking about buying a DIY kit from eBay as it would give me a challenge.

Anyone tried these kits before?

Nothing wrong with you, it just means that your taste in instruments has properly refined!

Seriously, P-Basses do it far more for me than anything else nowadays. You get a totally fundamental bass sound that can be used on any kind of recording and at any kind of gig. Have all the custom ACGs you want but nothing sounds like a P-Bass other than a P-Bass, there is a reason for their success.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1362089476' post='1995756']
I think it's the sheer simplicity compared to my other basses.

What's next? I will start liking sunburst soon then I really will be puzzled.
[/quote]

Yes, sunburst is the next step............

As I once heard the great studio ace David Hungate say , there are lots of basses on the market with all kinds of varied and wonderful sounds , but in the real world the sound that most artists and record producers want on their recordings is a Fender Precision Bass or a Fender Jazz Bass played with your fingers , a pick , or very occasionally slapped .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362090045' post='1995768']
in the real world the sound that most artists and record producers want on their recordings is a Fender Precision Bass or a Fender Jazz Bass played with your fingers , a pick , or very occasionally (but basically never) slapped .
[/quote]

Fixed :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1362092449' post='1995844']
The same thing has happened to me and I've only played Jazz basses for 30 years - this doesn't help:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoVfamlcbYo[/media]
[/quote]

Aaaaarrrrgh!!! don't do that to me! Jazz gas is bad enough without this.

That's a creamy bass line that he plays on the video too ... really really nice.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1362091737' post='1995829']
Difficult to have a chat about Precisions without mention of Colin Hodgkinson of Back Door.

I think this example is beautiful, so bluesy.

[media]http://youtu.be/jRUjH1zAcZA[/media]
[/quote]

I'm not really a fan of his solo stuff but this is very tasteful.

I have a friend who has a Warwick thumb bass but most of the sessions he plays are with his US P bass. The first time I heard him play it, I was so impressed I went and swapped my Musicman SUB for an old MIJ Precision. They sound fantastic recorded too.

someone hit me around the head with a P bass that impresses me!! I want to be impressed but......:OL

Had a decently playable Squier P/J, put some Dimarzio's on it....it was just loud and BOOMY!!! Awful.

I want one ( Scott Divine does a great job of dangling the carrot) but yet to find love

Well, this seems like a goodbye to BC from me then.
Love for a Precision? No effing way!
Love for sunburst? No effing way!

Slight detail only: I do now own two Ps and am ordering my third, and have started lusting for sunburst as well.

You guys are ruining me! Financially, tastially and morally! You're no fun anymore!

:)

best,
bert