Why become a member? ×

pub band songs suitable for a 3 piece ?

hamfist

Good point about filling up with bvox. My old band had to adapt from 5 piece (2 guitars + singer) to a 3 piece following personnel moving on. I took over lead vox & guitarist & drummie had to step up & do bvox. I was hard work initially, they didnt want to do it but it was worth it in the end.
Also forgot about Supergrass, great lively songs for a trio! We used to do Richard lll & Lose it.
The guitarist wasnt a very confident soloist so we kept solos to minimum & played short sharp tunes. No extended widdly widdly passages we'd rather add another couple of songs to the set.

IMHO there is rarely ever a good rationale for having two guitarists ..... unless they do really quite different things.

Also, if payment is involved for gigs - better have a 3-way split than a 4-way.

If you have to replace him - get a keys player.

Just about any song you could possibly imagine could be played by a three piece ..... guitard, bass god and drummerist

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1362144502' post='1996371']
If you have to replace him - get a keys player.
[/quote]
Alternative compromise is keep as a 3 piece and one or both guitarist/bass player dabbles in a bit of midi pedal work like Rush do. It needn't be prog rock, any basic 'washes' of keys that give an extra bit of colour can be supplied by midi pedal work. Of course it is extra gear to haul round and set up, mix and monitor but it can put an extra bit of icing on a performance. Done this in a couple of bands, it really made a difference to the 3 piece I was with a year or so back. I've got very rusty with it though as I found out the other when I dusted them off and had a go after them being in storage for nearly a year!

haven't read all the posts previously, but any song can be done at least adequately by a 3 piece if you consider arrangement and use of fx.

edited due to spotting grammer and spelling mistakes the second after hitting 'post'.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='markoire' timestamp='1362182348' post='1997021']
Steady as she goes. the raconteurs is a great one, has some interesting timing as well!
[/quote]

Yes, a cracker. THanks for that. I'd forgotten about that one. I did that one on guitar in a band a few years ago. I'll have another listen !

Anything by Free, Cream, Bad Company, any of the older 12-bars (Johnny B Goode, Route 66, etc), AC/DC, Led Zep, most Who, most Stones, Black Sabbath, Bryan Adams, Kinks, RHCP, Stereophonics, Buzzcocks, Kings of Leon, Foo Fighters, Police, Killers, Coldplay, The Cult, U2, if you feel ambitious Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, and of course Mustang Sally. All taken from the set lists of the two bands I'm in with guitar, bass, drums, and vocals.

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1362182559' post='1997025']
edited due to spotting grammer and spelling mistakes the second after hitting 'post'.
[/quote]

Surely you are teasing us, sir? :D

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1362227245' post='1997211']
...if you feel ambitious Lynyrd Skynyrd, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, and of course Mustang Sally.
[/quote]

I've never heard of her. Is she... Lithuanian? ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362228683' post='1997233']I've never heard of her. Is she... Lithuanian? ;)
[/quote]

I've just remembered that Mrs Zero told me off for making her giggle while singing at our most recent gig, when I introduced it as Mustang Sarnie.

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1362235555' post='1997356']

There's always Budgie...
[/quote]I do like a bit of Budgie and of course Metallica covered Breadfan on Garage Inc bringing that wonderful Welsh trio to more folks' attention.. Thinking of that album, Whiskey in the Jar is a 3 piece pub classic too.

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1362066960' post='1995268']
OIder Green Day stuff, The Clash can be got away with, Ash, Muse if your guitarist has the effects/chops, most Nirvana stuff, [b]Feeder [/b]/ Manics without the over-augmentation they've tended towards over the last decade - The Police maybe?
[/quote]

[quote name='Urban Bassman' timestamp='1362235555' post='1997356']
Feeder could be added to the list...
[/quote]

*cough* ;)