Why become a member? ×

A Plea, a Rant, a Call to Arms, whatever ..

xilddx

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1362052170' post='1994959']
OK, the next time any of your beggars are playing in or around the Lower Normandy region (La Luciole, Alençon..? 6 x 4 à Laval..?), I'll be there. Be warned, however, that I'm old and grumpy....
[/quote]

I'm old and grumpy too, we should get on fine.

Where do you want us to set up then? Have you a 13A socket? What? Over between the cigarette machine and the ladies' toilet? D'accord...

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1362053747' post='1994993']
I'm old and grumpy too, we should get on fine.

Where do you want us to set up then? Have you a 13A socket? What? Over between the cigarette machine and the ladies' toilet? D'accord...
[/quote]

La Luciole...
[url="http://www.laluciole.org/infos_pratiques-salles.html"]http://www.laluciole...ues-salles.html[/url]

Main stage...
[attachment=128678:Luci_grande_salle.jpg]

Club stage...
[attachment=128679:Luci_salle_club.jpg]

6 par 4...
[url="http://www.6par4.com/accompagnement/les-residences"]http://www.6par4.com.../les-residences[/url]

Lighting tests...
[attachment=128680:6_Par_4.jpg]

...or for the bolder among you, there's the annual '3 Elephants' festival, Laval...
[url="http://www.les3elephants.com/2012/"]http://www.les3elephants.com/2012/[/url]

One of the 2012 marquees...
[attachment=128681:3_Efs.jpg]

See you there..? Cap..?

Edited by Dad3353

Nige I just love you !

This is so correct it hurts mate. We do as musicians need to support each other, BC is a brilliant community where we are all here because we love music first & foremost. but to my own shame have not yet caught a fellow BCer's gig ! I was aware that Nearly Dan was playing Leeds but was gutted to find out that it landed n a weekend when i was with my son. so that's as close as I got.[color=#ff0000][b] But I still say though if anyone on Bass Chat finds themselves in Leeds ever fancies a pint or a meet up please drop me a PM it would be great to meet up for a natter & a booze. [/b][/color]

Also this thread reminds me of a band who once contacted me from Cornwall a few years ago who were trying to set up a scheme where they offered gig swaps, they would set up gigs for my band down there, offer a sofa to sleep on & somewhere to store our stuff for the night or nights and we were to do the same for them. We thought it was an awesome idea & offered our support. unfortunately they never got it off the ground but with the help of the people of BC this could be a possibility. even if the overnight stay didn't happen the basic idea could have legs. I'm not in a solid giging band though but maybe worth a thought for bands who are looking to expand their range of venue.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1362054840' post='1995016']
[color=#ff0000][b] But I still say though if anyone on Bass Chat finds themselves in Leeds ever fancies a pint or a meet up please drop me a PM it would be great to meet up for a natter & a booze. [/b][/color]

[/quote]

With mountain bike?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1362054604' post='1995010']

...or for the bolder among you, there's the annual '3 Elephants' festival, Laval...
[url="http://www.les3elephants.com/2012/"]http://www.les3elephants.com/2012/[/url]

See you there..? Cap..?
[/quote]

Seriously, yes please. Can you put me in touch with promoters?

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1362056447' post='1995051']
With mountain bike?
[/quote]
Always mate, I have close by muddy trails I can guide you around. with close pass by of the famous "Wool pack" pub from that TV programme .....the name escapes me.
Ho yeh crime stoppers

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362012411' post='1994619']But it seems we would rather yap about how PCs are sh*t and Apples are good for your complexion, how Flea is crap and star anise has no place in a bolognese, watch a video of a bassist f***ing it up instead of getting it right. Or bloody football :) You can still do all this, but for f***'s sake, LISTEN to your fellow bassists' music!![/quote]

You forgot The Beatles & [s]St[/s]. Sir McCartney :ph34r:.

Great post. I myself am guilty of not going out to see enough local bands, however I think once you play in a band it becomes hard to find the time, or the motivation, to actually go out and watch someone else's band. I'm usually glad of the Saturday night off for a change.

Having said that, if you're in Cornwall, go check out my old band Hold The Sun. Fantastic grungy/garagey 3-piece with killer hooks. They've been working with John Cornfield from Sawmills (ala Muse, Supergrass, Whats the Story Morning Glory?) and are very good live. And very loud.

Obviously a lot of people are into GEAR, and there's nothing wrong with that as far as it goes... I'll drone on and on about the advantages (or otherwise) of replacement bridges, or which is the best bass for metal (!) until the cows come home, but I feel there are those who like to be gear-heads and [i]that's all[/i]. [i]They're[/i] [i]not really into music that much![/i]

IME they are often the same people who form bands and rehearse extensively, but [i]never want to play gigs.[/i]

And I'd like to say there's NOTHING wrong with that AT ALL - EXCEPT when they lead other band members down the garden path and waste their valuable time with much talk of organising and playing gigs - but always finding some excuse or other not to! I've heard 'em all:

We're not rehearsed enough - We need to get another drummer/guitarist/bass player/keys player - I'm going on holiday for a month - It's Christmas/Easter/Valentine's Day/My Birthday/My wife's birthday - I have to go to my kid's thing - I've done my back/leg/wrist/hand in - The goldfish died - My car's in the garage - My scrotum has exploded and I'm in hospital - My house burnt to the ground - I'm married to the sea - My Gran died - I'm dead and so's my wife... And on and on and on! :D
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

Just thought I'd reiterate what I've said before - that the BC community is by far one of the most friendly, inclusive and helpful on the Interweb, in my experience.

It is disappointing that things like the monthly composition and mixing challenges don't attract more interest/feedback among BC'ers. Currently we have something like 30 votes spread across both competitions, which is frankly pathetic given the size of this community - especially given that probably half of those votes are from people who've entered! [i]But...[/i] this is very typical of music forums and certainly not a symptom of BC in particular.

As strange as it might sound, it's not uncommon for musicians to have little interest in the music of their contemporaries. We're usually more keen on chatting about the work of established artists, people we perhaps aspire to, rather than those on a similar level. That's not a criticism, it's just how it is. I guess somewhere deep down we're hard-wired to focus our attention on things that other people also show interest in, as opposed to seeking things out for ourselves (I am of course making a wild generalisation here!). But it's human nature I think.

Personally, I try to buck that instinct as much as possible and keep my ears open and my head 'fed' with new music whenever I can. But then I used to review new music for a living, so for me it's an old habit that dies hard ;)

Whatever. The point is, we shouldn't be listening to new music made by fellow Basschatters [i]just[/i] because of camaraderie... we should be doing so because some of it - in fact a lot of it! - is simply brilliant and well worth taking the time to explore.

Here endeth the sermon.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1362049993' post='1994918']
That Charic came to one of my gigs and said hi at the soundcheck...didn't see him after we'd finished making our filthy racket though, so I'm guessing he was being diplomatic :)
[/quote]

Nope, I actually came with a group of people.
Got completely ratted, walked into the loading bay of a closed tesco to try and buy alcohol, failed.
Went to a gay pub, bought some wine to take back to a friends place.
Played the MJ "beat it" drinking game ("drink whenever he says beat it... downed a bottle and a half of red in the length of the track). Passed out, got woken up.
Went to a mates house, climbed through his window as he wouldn't open the door (it was 6am at this point), fell asleep on his floor.
Woke up at 8am and went to my lecture.
Then went to pub :lol:

From what I remember I enjoyed the music :D

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1362052089' post='1994957']
So where is your area? Which venue(s) should we get in contact with? Have you got a link for your band?
[/quote]

Yes come to the Cambridgeshire area :D

You might be able to get a spot at the portland arms / man on the moon (both are dives) but you will struggle getting paid anywhere in the area I'm afraid. The only way to get paid around here IME is to have a PA and play pubs

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362063734' post='1995217']
It's Christmas/Easter/Valentine's Day/Mothers day/My wife's birthday[/quote]

What a great tip of the day - When getting married, have the partner agree that these all fall on the same day for card purpose.
Then that's only one day of the year to forget. :lol:

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1362049993' post='1994918']
That Charic came to one of my gigs and said hi at the soundcheck...didn't see him after we'd finished making our filthy racket though, so I'm guessing he was being diplomatic :)
[/quote]

I seem to remember you were using a Markbass 4x10 at the time (to prove I paid attention :lol:)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1362066732' post='1995261']
Yes come to the Cambridgeshire area :D

You might be able to get a spot at the portland arms / man on the moon (both are dives) but you will struggle getting paid anywhere in the area I'm afraid. The only way to get paid around here IME is to have a PA and play pubs
[/quote]

Not only is the Man on the Moon a dive, but the landlord will take half the door as well as the bar takings.

The Portland is a bit better since it's been extended but it's another DIY venue, ie you do the publicity and collect the door. At least they let you keep that (minus the £50 for the inadequate PA). Hard to get a crowd if you're not known locally.

The Emperor is an ok pub to play, they have PA and don't charge for it and pay 250 to 300 quid. They book up a year in advance as far as I can tell.

21 Hills Road, cb2 1la
01223 464633

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1362066211' post='1995253']
Just thought I'd reiterate what I've said before - that the BC community is by far one of the most friendly, inclusive and helpful on the Interweb, in my experience.

It is disappointing that things like the monthly composition and mixing challenges don't attract more interest/feedback among BC'ers. Currently we have something like 30 votes spread across both competitions, which is frankly pathetic given the size of this community - especially given that probably half of those votes are from people who've entered! [i]But...[/i] this is very typical of music forums and certainly not a symptom of BC in particular.

As strange as it might sound, it's not uncommon for musicians to have little interest in the music of their contemporaries. We're usually more keen on chatting about the work of established artists, people we perhaps aspire to, rather than those on a similar level. That's not a criticism, it's just how it is. I guess somewhere deep down we're hard-wired to focus our attention on things that other people also show interest in, as opposed to seeking things out for ourselves (I am of course making a wild generalisation here!). But it's human nature I think.

Personally, I try to buck that instinct as much as possible and keep my ears open and my head 'fed' with new music whenever I can. But then I used to review new music for a living, so for me it's an old habit that dies hard ;)

Whatever. The point is, we shouldn't be listening to new music made by fellow Basschatters [i]just[/i] because of camaraderie... we should be doing so because some of it - in fact a lot of it! - is simply brilliant and well worth taking the time to explore.

Here endeth the sermon.
[/quote]

I see your point, but in my case, when I fail to listen to the tracks in the Composition comp and vote, there is a simpler reason: lack of time. In order to choose one song, I usually need to listen to all of them more or less at the same time, or I won't be able to remember which one I prefer. I can obviously get back to each of them more than once - and I tend to do just that if possible - but that again takes time.
I have also been suggesting we get a collection (either online or on CD) not just of each month's winners but of all the tracks that have been posted in the comps, if their authors allow. Choosing a winner doesn't mean I don't like the other tracks, and it would be good to have them all at hand rather than having to dig them out of the online jungle one by one. From that to sharing links on FB or wherever, or getting friends to listen to the songs in real life, would be just one small step.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1362066975' post='1995269']
I seem to remember you were using a Markbass 4x10 at the time (to prove I paid attention :lol:)
[/quote]

You got me bang to rights Guv.

And the singer turned up seconds before we were due onstage, looking like Keith Richards warmed up, having just had a generous hit of smack.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1362068791' post='1995303']I see your point, but in my case, when I fail to listen to the tracks in the Composition comp and vote, there is a simpler reason: lack of time... I have also been suggesting we get a collection (either online or on CD) not just of each month's winners but of all the tracks that have been posted in the comps, if their authors allow.[/quote]

Yes, you're absolutely right Bluejay - lack of time is also a factor I forgot to mention! It is quite a commitment - akin to listening to a full album most months - and I appreciate we don't all have the luxury of setting aside time for this. Point taken.

I also agree it would be a great idea to make the entries from each month's composition challenge available for download. Perhaps a digital release via something like BandCamp would be more simple and cost-effective than a CD? But I'd be supportive either way. It could for instance be made available on a 'pay what you like' basis (assuming agreement from those involved), with any money collected being donated to BC or split with a charity. That would definitely get my vote :)

Good points all. I for one will make more effort to listen to more of the music on here. AND I'll make sure to always post in the gigs section when Madam Fade plays live and keep more of an eye out for Leicester gigs.

Link below if anyone fancies having a listen and giving some feedback.

Great post Nige ,

Some of the music, bands and shows put on on by BCers are fantastic , I have been to a couple , plan on seeing a fair few more.
It can be a touch awkward getting pass outs occasionally , what with gig and rehearsal time already taken out . Trying to write songs , learn DAW and mixing is great because I can involve the kids easily and it makes it fun , taking them to see the Terrortones or Dr Blue on the other hand , well I think I might end up a bit :gas: .
But I will be attending more BCers gigs this year Deffo

ed for atroshus spilling

Edited by lurksalot