Why become a member? ×

How far ahead do you think?

TimR

When you are soloing, ad libbing, busking, or otherwise creating a bass line; how far ahead are you thinking.

Are you aiming for the next chord change, or two or more chords ahead? Do you think in terms of whole passages, or do you just play whatever appears under your fingers for the chord you're playing at the time?

or something else...

Don't think, feeeeeel.
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=McvkSra5JLZGjM&tbnid=vA1O_Y-Zgvj-kM:&ved=&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgree.jp%2Fokamoto_ryoji%2Fblog%2Fentry%2F588841918&ei=nvEkUdi9GujW0QXYz4CYDw&psig=AFQjCNETUHhWtyzOUO4x8RUB4JrK8A47BQ&ust=1361462046476177"]url[/url]

Na, seriously, I'll tend to think to the end of the phrase, but my phrases tend to be little ones. Generally I'll get a pitch in my head relative to the chord I'm playing over/under, so that'll form the basis of my playing - generally the root of a mode.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361376615' post='1984984']
I rarely do any soloing, busking or ad-libbing. I rehearse my lines to the point where I can play them without thinking about them at all - thus leaving more time for gurning, posturing and ogling. :D
[/quote]

Seconded. Plus it's easier to manage after a beer.

Rarely solo but I rarely play the same thing twice either live unless the bass part is fairly/very prescribed! Try my best to just stay in the moment, as cheesy as it might sound. I rely on my ears to do most of my work, to know about playing under and over chords using the right chordal notes and accidentals in the right succession and all of that.

As much as I'm not over keen on his style of playing, I found Victor Wooten's idea that you're only ever one semitone away from a correct note an a really cool, optimistic way of looking at soloing and improvisation.

I was rehearsing last week and we were just jamming around in E with the guitars taking turns to solo when suddenly they called out 'Bass solo!' so I played this little pentatonic thing for a few bars, nothing taxing, just 5 notes. They were most impressed!! :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361376615' post='1984984']
I rarely do any soloing, busking or ad-libbing. I rehearse my lines to the point where I can play them without thinking about them at all - thus leaving more time for gurning, posturing and ogling. :D
[/quote]

Same here. In my punk covers band I play the lines that were written, in my originals band we have 3 gtrs and keyboards who do solos etc, best leave the 2 bassists to their keeping steady thing.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1361392005' post='1985356']
As much as I'm not over keen on his style of playing, I found Victor Wooten's idea that you're only ever one semitone away from a correct note an a really cool, optimistic way of looking at soloing and improvisation.
[/quote]

You might only be a semitone away from a correct note, but you could be six semitones away from the best note.

I've never really thought about it.

I tend to just drift off into my own little world and immerse myself in the music when I'm playing.

I do have to remind myself to make it look like I haven't though because it makes my natural arrogance level appear much larger than it actually is. :mellow:

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1361413822' post='1985713']

That's got me into so much trouble over the years... :D
[/quote]

+1 couldn't have put it better myself bud. As for soloing/ad libbing etc... I just try not to make myself look like a dick tbh! Got a few raised eyebrows at a jam last week, seemed to enjoy though. Should be fun for the soundcheck jam for the gig in a few weeks =)

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1361433314' post='1985774']
Who is to decide what the best note is though
[/quote]

Completely agree.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361403556' post='1985622']
You might only be a semitone away from a correct note, but you could be six semitones away from the best note.
[/quote]

Surely the best note is the one you were hearing in your head and I assume (I know I shouldn't) that you were aiming for a note and then hit the wrong one or maybe just a bit confused :)