Why become a member? ×

Just saw my favourite bassist live.....

fretmeister

EDIT: I meant Arthur Barrow, this guy is f***ing awesome. Be a little patient with this, it really gets going!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqAXA6JX7Qw[/media]

Scott Thunes - and he switches to fingers at 2.51. You can be bad ass on both you know :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qekMs-Y75jY[/media]

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1361302082' post='1984252']
Funny! But I have never understood why pick players are not considered to be 'proper' bass players? :huh:
[/quote]

It's because of the association of the pick with guitar players and fingers with the double bass.

Anthony Jackson and John Paul Jones are good examples of players who just choose whatever's best for the music, but in the end it's everyone's personal choice how they play. Personally I can't be bothered to try and find picks (I have no pick technique anyway) so it's not likely to be part of my repertoire anytime soon, more's the shame probably.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1361310077' post='1984483']
I can seamlessly swap between fingers and pick without any problems.
[/quote]

Me too. There are sounds and techniques you can only get with a pick. The problem with fingers is they are all upstrokes, and if you play quite fast it can sound pretty ropey unless you are a practiced player with finesse and precision. Fast cross picking can sound much more legato and you can add different nuances more easily with pick techniques.

Haha I love how an amusing picture turned into another serious discussion about how it doesn't matter if you use a pick or not. It's been done to death! :lol:

But for the record, I used to think fingerstyle players were 'better' than pick players... But I can no longer play cleanly with a pick :D

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1361311228' post='1984508']
Me too. There are sounds and techniques you can only get with a pick. The problem with fingers is they are all upstrokes, and if you play quite fast it can sound pretty ropey unless you are a practiced player with finesse and precision. Fast cross picking can sound much more legato and you can add different nuances more easily with pick techniques.
[/quote]What he said!