Why become a member? ×

Has 24 Hour Drinking Affected the Live Music Scene?

D.I. Joe

We were discussing this on Friday night after we played to about 10 people and then the place got busier at midnight - after we had finished.

I'm 21. I've been gigging since 2008 and never played a gig before the smoking ban or 24 hour drinking laws so I can't really talk from experience. The rest of the band have a few years more experience than me and were talking about how it used to be that people would hit the pubs anywhere between about 7-9 and venues stopped serving booze at 11, the same time that bands would finish, and be home by midnight/hit the clubs.

Nowadays people go out of their front door at 11, just as bands are finishing!

Is it just me, or do you think that 24 hour drinking has something to do with this? (Along with the obvious issue of the world's finances)

Not sure I'd want to play to a load of people just after a late drink, but the music scene is struggling because people are struggling, IMO.

I don't think more venues chasing the dwindling music audiences helps either.... so cheap music licenses only gets you cheap music, IMO
and therefore I am not a fan.

Late drinking and cheap booze only leads to one thing as far as I can see....

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1361119305' post='1981314']
... the music scene is struggling because people are struggling ... I don't think more venues chasing the dwindling music audiences helps either....
[/quote]
I would agree with both of those statements - the smoking ban has had a negative effect as well...!

Edited by peteb

Pubs are closing down because of the recession, and as many supermarkets can sell booze cheaper than pubs, more people are staying at home and doing their drinking in their own homes. The smoking ban has probably had a negative effect on pubs as well, but I don't miss the days of doing a pub gig and smelling of second hand tobacco afterwards.

Agree with JTUK's post as well.

I used to play in a band before the 24 hour drinking thing and the smoking ban, if you played the right venues the crowds would be there from the start, the wrong venues wouldn't have a crowd full stop, I still think it is much the same nowdays the only difference being that town centre venues know what time their clientelle will tend to arrive so get the bands to start a lot later than they used to!

The smoking ban has had an impact but more so for the venues than the bands, smokers who are watching the band will try to stand in doorways so they can smoke and still see the band potentially causing the venue serious licensing issues.

I hope the recent entertainment license changes may have a positive effect on the music scene with any sub 500 capacity venue able to put bands on without the need for a special license I would like to see some new venues step up to the mark and challenge some of the more established venues that think they can book bands off a reputation that disappeared long ago

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361123233' post='1981395']
I assume we're talking about the audience for covers bands here?

Because form where I'm stood playing original music the audience has never been bigger and there seems to be more and more places play every time I look.
[/quote]
Are you trying to say that the audience for original music is bigger than in the 80s and early 90s?? That is certainly not the impression I get from people I know who are still out there doing original material ...

A bit better if you are in a niche in the market and can travel for the right gigs.

The pub / covers curcuit is far from dead - if you get a decent band at a decent venue you can still have plenty of good nights! However, it is undeniably not as healthy as, say, ten years ago. Too many crap venues and too many crap bands out there all chasing an audience that is declining for various reasons (recession, smoking ban, etc) ...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1361124540' post='1981425']
Are you trying to say that the audience for original music is bigger than in the 80s and early 90s?? That is certainly not the impression I get from people I know who are still out there doing original material ...

A bit better if you are in a niche in the market and can travel for the right gigs.
[/quote]

At the level the Terrortones are currently at (a band with our first single out on an independent record label) the audiences and opportunities seem far better than they were for any similar level band I played in or went to see gig, any time in the 80s or 90s. We are getting enough worthwhile gig offers to be playing at least once a week, and these are all gigs that at the very least will cover all our expenses.

It may of course be the fact that all my previous bands were crap and weren't worthy of the attention my current band is getting, but I can't remember there ever being so many opportunities as there are right now.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361125464' post='1981453']
At the level the Terrortones are currently at (a band with our first single out on an independent record label) the audiences and opportunities seem far better than they were for any similar level band I played in or went to see gig, any time in the 80s or 90s. We are getting enough worthwhile gig offers to be playing at least once a week, and these are all gigs that at the very least will cover all our expenses.

It may of course be the fact that all my previous bands were crap and weren't worthy of the attention my current band is getting, but I can't remember there ever being so many opportunities as there are right now.
[/quote]
Cool - seems like you're bucking the trend and have got the right band at the right time!

I don't think 24hr drinking has really had an impact on live music. True 24hr establishments are rare and don't cater for the sorts who would go to see a live band at 20:00hrs. Late licencing has had an effect, mainly because as you say, people are now heading out for a drink at 22:00hrs or later. But I don't think these sorts of drinkers are the ones who would go to live music pubs anyway. Live music has definitely taken a hit in recent years, but licencing hours aren't solely to blame and 24hr drinking definitely isn't.

[quote name='D.I. Joe' timestamp='1361118318' post='1981293']
We were discussing this on Friday night after we played to about 10 people and then the place got busier at midnight - after we had finished.

I'm 21. I've been gigging since 2008 and never played a gig before the smoking ban or 24 hour drinking laws so I can't really talk from experience. The rest of the band have a few years more experience than me and were talking about how it used to be that people would hit the pubs anywhere between about 7-9 and venues stopped serving booze at 11, the same time that bands would finish, and be home by midnight/hit the clubs.

Nowadays people go out of their front door at 11, just as bands are finishing!

Is it just me, or do you think that 24 hour drinking has something to do with this? (Along with the obvious issue of the world's finances)
[/quote]

Where are I live there are plenty of gigs at midnight and later. I guess the patterns have changed, but I could not say whether it's better or worse. I personally welcome the freedom to go out when I please without the old rush "quick, let's go, we only have two hours left till closing time!". At least now we have a decent selection of bars open, many with live music, until 2.30-3am even on week days. Yes, when I play at midnight on a Thursday night, I wish it were the way it was before ;) Going home at 3am when you have to work the next day it's not great... but as long as the body can take it, I'm enjoying it.

I grew up in Spain, where it was common to not leave the house till 10 or 11, and bars would stay open all night. Not all bars... some chose to shut at 2am, some at 4am... some opened at midnight... it meant there was always somewhere interesting to go to, and you didn't get that sudden invasion of the streets by drunken people from all sides, which I think it's a very bad idea.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1361130261' post='1981586']
I don't think 24hr drinking has really had an impact on live music. True 24hr establishments are rare and don't cater for the sorts who would go to see a live band at 20:00hrs. [/quote]

+1

It probably varies up and down the country, but around here there are no 24 hour pubs unless you go into the city centres.

Of those, I can't think of many who actually have bands on.
They just don't need to attract customers, they'll get all the punters they can get because they're one of the few places still open at silly o clock when everyone else has shut. :)

As for the smoking ban, well it's been going on a long time now.
Drinkers who stayed away from pubs because they were also smokers will have drifted back there by now on the basis that they're banned from smoking everywhere else so what's the difference? :)

A fair number of the venues that we play decided to close at 12 instead of 11. Out of habit or lack of public transport, a lot of the audience still leave at 11 which leaves the band playing to a rapidly diminishing audience. Big thumbs up as they leave but a bit soul destroying.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1361144013' post='1981947']
One benefit of the smoking ban now has been that when you buy a used bass, it probably won't stink of smoke. I've had one or two second hand basses in the past that reeked of Febreeze and stale smoke. Not pleasant!
[/quote]

This happened to me about a month ago. Not nice

I've not played one of those stale, smoke smelling basses in years now. Thank God. But I do recall when 'for sale' adverts made a point of noting that a bass hadn't been played in a smoky environment. It may be harder to get a gig these days, but it's far more pleasant doing do because you're not having to smell that muck when you're playing.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1361151761' post='1982024']
I've not played one of those stale, smoke smelling basses in years now. Thank God. But I do recall when 'for sale' adverts made a point of noting that a bass hadn't been played in a smoky environment. It may be harder to get a gig these days, but it's far more pleasant doing do because you're not having to smell that muck when you're playing.
[/quote]
I think that you have a different outlook to playing (and life) to me - some of the most memorable nights, not to mention gigs, of my life have been in smoky, sweaty dives...

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1361120146' post='1981335']

I would agree with both of those statements - the smoking ban has had a negative effect as well...!
[/quote]

On business, yes. On musicians, less so.
At least my cabinets and cases won't stink of fag smoke, and I'm less likely to die like Roy Castle (RIP) did...

One thing that has crept in with longer licensing hours is that some covers venues just expect bands to play for longer for the same money (I wonder if they try this scheme with their bar staff?). Alternatively what happens is that bands turn up and are given strict start and finish times. This then leads to a particularly long break in the middle in which time they manage to lose all momentum and rapport with the audience. I've walked out as a punter on occasions when the between sets break has got too excessive.