Why become a member? ×

I'm going to get down on this bad boy

Happy Jack

Does anyone actually talk like this? Even in America?

Or is this some sort of post-ironic modernist schtick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EAI1Ks5GLAM&list=UUlPrDqLPKrRstg648X-eDVg

ps: This is really, [i][b]really [/b][/i]crap bass playing IMHO.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1360919002' post='1978235']
This is really, [i][b]really [/b][/i]crap bass playing IMHO.
[/quote]

Oh yes, and it's pervasive. How are we to evaluate the bass (if that is indeed the purpose of this vid) with some arse playing in a way that [i]no-one[/i] would [i]ever[/i] play in a real live band situation? If I were to do this at home (for example) it would elicit the response 'turn that bloody thing off and get to bed,' and quite right too. Nice looking bass, though. Metallic red is quite pervy.

Edited by discreet

That man is completely insufferable. I can't believe Warwick let him demo their products officially. It demonstrates how detached from reality some of the instrument manufacturers actually are that they think that's what's going to actually sell things to people. I suppose they expectation is that people will see someone playing seven hundred notes a second with their thumb in the most non-musical fashion possible and think that they'll be able to play like that if they buy the bass. Can't see that working at all though. A lot of these companies would do well to take a leaf out of Lakland's book when it comes to demoing the tonal capacity of their products.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1360930314' post='1978430']
A lot of these companies would do well to take a leaf out of Lakland's book when it comes to demoing the tonal capacity of their products.
[/quote]

Yes! :)
[url="http://lakland.com/ac_j-sonic.htm"]http://lakland.com/ac_j-sonic.htm[/url]

[quote name='Atalante' timestamp='1360932645' post='1978488']
Why the hating? I would like to see the level of the "down-talkers" around here.
[/quote]

People are allowed their own opinions :)

(P.S. don't go near the 'you can't comment unless you are better' comments :) that ended badly on here last time, haha)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1360932758' post='1978493']
People are allowed their own opinions :)

(P.S. don't go near the 'you can't comment unless you are better' comments :) that ended badly on here last time, haha)
[/quote]

An opinion in a forum without a back-up is like a public, smelly fart.

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1360930314' post='1978430']
A lot of these companies would do well to take a leaf out of Lakland's book when it comes to demoing the tonal capacity of their products.
[/quote]
Thoroughly agree that Lakland have the right idea to auditioning via the internet. I am very impressed that they cover different genres, on different strings on all positions. Now that is attention to detail and speaks well into Lakland's guiding principles.

[quote name='Atalante' timestamp='1360932871' post='1978495']
An opinion in a forum without a back-up is like a public, smelly fart.
[/quote]

Please elaborate? I don't quite see the link there.

I think what people are saying is that a very small number of people use a bass guitar in the way the player does in the video, yet there are so many companies who use slap players to sell their gear, most of whom use a tone that sounds like it is coming out of the end of a long cardboard tube.

Not so keen on the demo, but the finish on the Corvette looks quite lovely. Warwick do some stunning finishes.

BTW Is it my imagination, or has a post or 2 been deleted? Didn't someone else [i]post then delete[/i] a week or so ago? :rolleyes:

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360934942' post='1978571']
BTW Is it my imagination, or has a post or 2 been deleted? Didn't someone else [i]post then delete[/i] a week or so ago? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Indeed. Or should I say "Inti-ed"? My spider-sense is tingling... <_<

Edited by Conan

I spent many a happy hour with Andy when I visited Warwick last year. He's one of the most down to earth and likeable guys I've met. He does have a real 'Merikan drawl which I found really infectious.

His bass playing spans over many records, from slapping stuff to his preferred style of chilled out grooves. I guess this showboating is ultimately what sells instruments; I mean I remember being blown away when I first came across playing like this when I was younger. Thankfully the passage of time has enlightened me to the finer points of bass playing but aroun this time I'm not influenced by adverts and videos of products either.

Come on guys, relax. Slagging off another guy you have never met is really unbecoming.

ped

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1360956571' post='1979112'] then what's the point of the video?
[/quote]To be on YouTube I guess, there's plenty of other pointless stuff on there too.

TBH I clicked stop after the 4 or 5 notes, I'm not clairvoyant, but sadly I knew what was coming. Why these folks don't open with a bit of pick or fingerstyle before getting to the slapathon puzzles me. If they did it would certainly showcase their abilities far better and give everyone else a better idea of what the instrument sounds like. Maybe they don't know how to.

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1360956938' post='1979121']
I spent many a happy hour with Andy when I visited Warwick last year. He's one of the most down to earth and likeable guys I've met. He does have a real 'Merikan drawl which I found really infectious.

His bass playing spans over many records, from slapping stuff to his preferred style of chilled out grooves. I guess this showboating is ultimately what sells instruments; I mean I remember being blown away when I first came across playing like this when I was younger. Thankfully the passage of time has enlightened me to the finer points of bass playing but aroun this time I'm not influenced by adverts and videos of products either.

Come on guys, relax. Slagging off another guy you have never met is really unbecoming.

ped
[/quote]

I agree Chris, but I think most of us were complaining about the playing, not the bassist. I still think that, if that's what sells basses, then there must be something wrong with the market... :blink: :unsure:

Edited by bluejay