Why become a member? ×

Basses With Thin Fast Necks?

Ant_On_Bass

Hi all i was just wondering what basses you guys have played that have had a thin fast necks and great action? i bought a rig off of a friend a few years back and he chucked in an Aria IGB-49 for free, and turned out i actually really liked and still like playing this bass, so much so that i sold my warwicks, Although the tone isn't as good as some of the high end basses i do enjoy playing it:-)

So i was just interested to see what other basses people have played that have a thin neck, fast, great tone and great to play? :-)

My Squier CV jazz neck is one of the best I've owned. I find the vintage style (as in smaller than normal) really helps. Same goes for the Lakland JO neck on my CVP. That has banjo frets on it so again, a nice fast neck and a nice low action, and also a Jazz neck.
I'm not saying a jazz neck makes for a faster neck than, say a P, but as I feel more comfortable on a Jazz neck that's my preference.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1360497680' post='1971170']
Does thin = fast?

Thin is about size, fast is about your technique.
[/quote]

Exactly. Some people find thin necks too cramped and this slows them down. Some people like jazz necks but with a larger front to back depth, some prefer fretboards with a more rounded radius like 7.5", whereas I find flatter 10" feel faster to me.

My 1986 Tokai Jazz sound has the thinnest neck i have owned, and to be fair it plays better than my Geddy Lee jazz bass i also feel string tension comes into it, both basses have rotosound medium light on them but the tension under fingers feel different even though both basses have a low action.

my sei babses have the slimest necks and fast toooo , thats why anything else i try just dont happen , although regret selling my spector eroulx 4 wow that was a nice neck , my mayones had a awesome neck for a six string too. i have a status and its a tad thicker than i like but the action and stability etc makes up for that .
i had a fender jazz pluss 4 bass that was super slim.

Ibanez SR series.

They've been reputed to have the thinnest, fastest necks on a production model for many years now.

To be perfectly honest, it always sounded like one of those 'empty' marketing claims to me, but I swapped from being primarily a JB player to an SR player about 12 years ago and wouldn't go back now.

The neck is a little bit cramped and it takes some getting used to though.

I have a thing about thin and shallow necks and have tried a few.

I had a Fender Jaguar, which had the same sized neck as a Geddy Lee. Very shallow. I also had a Peavey Fury II which had a neck possibly even slimmer - really fantastic neck if slim and shallow is your thing - nicer than the Milestone III that I had once. Also Fender Precision Lyte - another shallow neck. All of these are shallower than a 'standard' Jazz bass neck, even if they are all 38mm at the nut. Tried a Yamaha RBX800E for a while, which had a lovely neck but this was 'roughly' the same as a standard Jazz.

Similar width but slightly chunkier still - Hohner B2A and B-bass. Similar again is the SBMM SB-14, which I guess must be similar to the Sterling. I actually find this one extremely comfy, even though it is slightly chunkier than the untra-skinnies. I have (and have had) a number of Westones - these have all been similar necks to the Hohners. Very nice necks.

Horses for courses, really.

• 2 weeks later...

Respect Paul S's view but I own both a Jaguar and an original black block model Fender from 72. The Jag neck is that same as the '75 Reissue Jazz which is a bit wider than the original. The original is actually 1.454in wide - and what I call slim. The Geddy today is the equivalent of the original early 70's 4 bolt Jazz neck.

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1361748185' post='1990384']
The Geddy today is the equivalent of the original early 70's 4 bolt Jazz neck.[/quote]

Even slimmer than that apparently. Geddy had his sanded down to his own spec and the GL signature basses are modelled on that - or at least the original ones were... :huh:

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1361781054' post='1990563']
Ibanez soundgear is the first that springs to mind.

Also, I had a '94 passive Warwick Corvette (german) that had a ridiculously thin neck.
[/quote]

The wenge neck Warwicks (Corvette and Fortress) I tried were thin with a shallow profile but the ovangkol necks feel a little more chunky.

Agree with many observations in 'thin equals fast' discussion but it tends to equate to that for me. Alembic SC Deluxe with the 'Stanley' taper (1.5 - 2.15) is slender, shallow and incredibly fast - the tight spacing and satinated finish help too IME: the most slender and comfortable necks I've ever tried by some margin