Why become a member? ×

sh*te Basses - Discuss

WhoNeedsYou

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1359805486' post='1960488']
Reading this thread fully it looks like apparently I still own one as my main bass :(

I love my bass to bits lol
[/quote]

That bass plays really, really well. DO NOT SELL. Ever. :i-m_so_happy:

Edit: Another vote for the Avon range of Gibson copies. I borrowed an EB-3 once. Awful. One bass that should have been crap and wasn't - well not in all respects - was a Wilson Rapier, the first bass I bought. Played really well, and I was able to get a good action on it. Slightly shoddy construction and [font="Lucida Grande"][size=3]materials, but the sound was pretty decent for a budget bass.[/size][/font]

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

Dunno about worst but certainly the biggest disappointment was the Fender MM MIJ in purchased.

It had the looks but man did the sound suck and the action where ever set was horrible

Had it setup and we'll just as grim.

Sold it a few months latert

Another big disappointment was the Warwick thumb I got cheap. Cheap because it had been abused.

It took 2 weeks of oiling and feeding the wood to bring back the shine it was practically grey

And as for the sound well.. It was clicky and without much definition. The nut was also extremely sharp and found when doing slides down to the first fret would leave a bloody nick on my hand.

Now I am not saying all Thumbs are like this. But it left a sour taste in the mouth and have never once had the inclination to play another one.

But in also agree the Epi Thunderbird was... Well it starts with S and ends with T and it isn't soot

Interesting thread................but I often wonder if there are any sh*te basses or just sh*te bass players? I've heard sh*te bass players make decent basses sound like sh*t, but give them a Precision with flats and they sound OK.

I believe a good player can make anything sound good, provided it's set up reasonably. And can make something half decent sound great.

Come on guys, everyone knows modern Stingrays are a million times more consistent than the old ones and to list a bass in here because you think the neck looks anaemic makes it sh*te - bloody hell next someone will be saying Rics are sh*te because they have strange styling!

And I'll have nothing said against an Encore P copy - they even do a lefty. When fitted with flats makes a great impression of a Precision at a fraction of the cost - just what you need as a starter bass - plays in tune - decent action - quite playable - trusty Precision bass tone. A real P sounds so little different you start to wonder what all the fuss is about!! My lad graduated straight to a Stingray from an Encore - but has fitted it with flats and still gets it out occassionally to get a 'vintage' sound!

So my take is there are few sh*te basses!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1359855934' post='1961344']
Interesting thread................but I often wonder if there are any sh*te basses or just sh*te bass players? I've heard sh*te bass players make decent basses sound like sh*t, but give them a Precision with flats and they sound OK.

I believe a good player can make anything sound good, provided it's set up reasonably. And can make something half decent sound great.

Come on guys, everyone knows modern Stingrays are a million times more consistent than the old ones and to list a bass in here because you think the neck looks anaemic makes it sh*te - bloody hell next someone will be saying Rics are sh*te because they have strange styling!

And I'll have nothing said against an Encore P copy - they even do a lefty. When fitted with flats makes a great impression of a Precision at a fraction of the cost - just what you need as a starter bass - plays in tune - decent action - quite playable - trusty Precision bass tone. A real P sounds so little different you start to wonder what all the fuss is about!! My lad graduated straight to a Stingray from an Encore - but has fitted it with flats and still gets it out occassionally to get a 'vintage' sound!

So my take is there are few sh*te basses!
[/quote]The early made in India ones are the best,made in the same place as the Sunn Mustang basses and American Squiers. I changed the pickups in mine for Fenders and it's great!

The 80's Ibanez Roadster thingy I had for the years when I wasn't interested or playing often, which I despised. Don't know what came first, the apathy or this godawful instrument. Failing that the first bass I owned which was an Avon Rose Morris EB0 copy... just cheap and nasty.

[quote name='theplumber' timestamp='1359857801' post='1961363']
The early made in India ones are the best,made in the same place as the Sunn Mustang basses and American Squiers. I changed the pickups in mine for Fenders and it's great!
[/quote]

An american Squier?

I think its hard to find a crap new bass nowadays, it seems the CNC machine tool should be hailed from on high. It appears that the old bass guard suffered some real old tot' back in the 70/80's

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1359591646' post='1957381']
Aria SB-R60....looked lush, dull as can be...nothing wrong with it but so disappointing.

Worst one I played...OLP 4 string, really very bad, I can see why Ernie pulled the plug.
[/quote]

I love OLPs! :lol:

I owned 4. One I quickly got rid off as it was too heavy and not a very good thing... the other three were great. I still own one!

I have never owned a really horrible bass... the worst was probably a Precision copy made by Alba. But even that one was not terrible.
Oh, wait, a Stagg BC300 P/J. Very uninspiring. No, but it was not horrible either.

90's "Fender licenced" Sunn Mustang. With a plywood body, plastic control knobs, shiny glossed maple board and slightly pointy headstock. My first ever bass, and at the time I thought it was the mutt nuts. With hindsight it was as cheap and nasty as they get (and I wondered why it didn't make me sound like Flea...) :lol:

I've got a file on my computer called 'BassesWotIHaveOwned' that I've kept updated for years, cataloguing every bass I've possessed since I first picked one up in 1975. A bit sad, I know.

So far, the tally comes to an eye-watering 79 basses. Being by my own admission a complete bass tart, I have a tendancy to sell most of them after only a short dalliance, but I still currently own 6. Not showing off, mind, I class this as therapy... I'm slightly more embarrased to admit that I just went through the list and counted 22 of them that never even left the house - they were just 'moved on'...

Worst bass? Many disappointing ones, but worst... probably a Traben Tribal Sun 5-string that I bought online a few years ago. Interesting to look at, sounded dreadful, really awful to play. Sold it immediately!

Worst bass I ever owned was a 1964 Hofner Violin Bass, complete sh*te.
I actually own an early Encore Precision, which plays and sounds every bit as good as a Fender, and a Hohner Rockbass copy of a Precision which sounds an plays BETTER than a Fender!! I had a 1972 Jazz I bought new in '72 and thought was the dogs danglies for 25 years, then I discovered active basses - wow!
Having said that, I have an Attila Balough Odessy with 2 Di Marzio p.b. sets which is awesome, but I have graduated to 6 string basses now so it doesn't get played so much.

Another vote for Epi EB3, bought it in a moment of insanity, no guts in the pickups,the volume for both pickups didn't kick in until it reached 8, basically they were like on/off switches.Worst thing about it was the neck dive as soon as you let go of the neck. Got rid of it very quick.

Also had a 78 US Jazz which was an absolute dog, weighed a ton and the neck was awful....got rid of it pretty quick.
Shame that someone will pay loads of money for it one day because its a 70s US Fender

My first bass, a Franconia jazz copy. Being my first I had no idea how bad it was until someone gave me a Hohner p-copy which played like a real bass. Still, I wouldn't mind getting it back now, just for sentimental reasons, we had some good times together.

I've got two, a Rickenbacker that was the property of the youth club i used to go to when i was 16-17 and most recently a MIM Fender Jazz... oh god it was horrible. High action, bent neck, horrible sound from the pups, could probably be fixed with some replacement pups and some neck work but it was terrible.
The owner sold it on The Bay for over £300 so the new owner must have been patient or not expecting much...

The '95 Squier i got from the youth club where my dad used to work (For free though). Wish i still had it as i reckon it could've been a good bass. Not forgetting the Squier in the music department where i work (They've got a mid 80's MIJ Fretless Jazz that i want though) and the bass what i used at school, which i have no idea what it was.

Liam

The worst bass I ever played was a Tanglewood precision bass copy. felt and sounded like wet cardboard!

Second place goes to (and it pains me to say this) a Yamaha RBX775. Now I have heard some incredible sounds come out of these things, but when I got hold of it there was just wayyyy too much bass and not a lot of midrange. Also, and I've felt the same way about all Yamaha basses, it just didnt 'feel' like a real bass. Like it was made of plastic instead of wood :unsure: