Why become a member? ×

weres the bass?

thunderider

im listening/watching bands and im finding a "trend" for midrangey trebely bass,u can hear a different guitar in the mix ...me i like to feel the bass...i like people to feel my bass,not to the point its just a muddy drone,i like a thumping rhythem,but do like a crisp sound when i do a run,but im just not just feeling it...or is it just me?

I think I'm secretly a lead guitarist in a bassists body, I like plenty of mid/treble so I can kid myself my jazz sounds like Geddy Lee and every now and then do sick lead fills that don't turn into mush. B)

More generally speaking, most music these days is mixed for those tinny phone speakers you hear kids playing music through on the bus, so for the bass to be heard it has to be pretty trebley to cut through... especially for the likes of all this bass-lead indie-ish stuff, Two Door Cinema Club spring to mind...

Edited by SlapbassSteve

I'm not one of those players that wants to be 'felt'-I want to be heard. I've been to a lot of
gigs where the soundguy has put way too much low end in the mix and the bass becomes
muddy and indistinct. I don't like,or want,that-I want my notes to be clear and defined.
Of course,I want the bass but not at the expense of clarity.

[quote name='thunderider' timestamp='1358689605' post='1943351']
sorry for my spelling english is only my first language AITCH!!......what descreet said!! leen, not enough bottom end... thin bass...
[/quote]

While we're being pedantic , that should be "lean " . Don't blame yourself though , you have been failed by the Comprehensive School system .

Too much bass and you get no articulation to the sound . A lot of rooms and stages add bass anyway , and sometimes you need to have plenty of midrange definition to counteract that . The final sound out front can end up being very different to how you hear your amp soloed . But yes , if the front of house sound hasn't got enough bottom end then it's no use to anybody .

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1358692399' post='1943404']
I think I'm secretly a lead guitarist in a bassists body, I like plenty of mid/treble so I can kid myself my jazz sounds like Geddy Lee and every now and then do sick lead fills that don't turn into mush. B)

More generally speaking, most music these days is mixed for those tinny phone speakers you hear kids playing music through on the bus, so for the bass to be heard it has to be pretty trebley to cut through... especially for the likes of all this bass-lead indie-ish stuff, Two Door Cinema Club spring to mind...
[/quote]

eh?
this bass sounds pretty deep to me

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyK1Mme9Sc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyK1Mme9Sc[/url]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1358706225' post='1943730']
eh?
this bass sounds pretty deep to me

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKyK1Mme9Sc[/media]
[/quote]

does indeed! I had the first album(particularly What You Know) in mind, very different tone, and very trebley compared to Sun and other recordings with a low-end-heavy tone, say Simonon on Guns Of Brixton.

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1358719002' post='1944112']
does indeed! I had the first album(particularly What You Know) in mind, very different tone, and very trebley compared to Sun and other recordings with a low-end-heavy tone, say Simonon on Guns Of Brixton.
[/quote]

ah! I haven't listened to that album, I only just recently "discovered" them.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1358695824' post='1943476']
I'm not one of those players that wants to be 'felt'-I want to be heard. I've been to a lot of
gigs where the soundguy has put way too much low end in the mix and the bass becomes
muddy and indistinct. I don't like,or want,that-I want my notes to be clear and defined.
Of course,I want the bass but not at the expense of clarity.
[/quote]do you play a jazz bass by any chance..?