Why become a member? ×

Interesting new Warwick amp

LukeFRC

"Classic bass amp sound"? Spongy low end?! WTF is he talking about? I've never enountered a Class D amp design that sounds like that. Why would he presume to know we "need" (rather than aspire to) a 1000w amp?! His sale technique is full of weasel words too.

What are honest watts when the power delivery varies across the frequency spectrum in all amps? Does he mean RMS in contrast to PMPO figures? PMPO has been discredited for a long time. Or are they suggesting they've used the same super headroom technology from the Hellborg line in this amp perhaps but not mentioning it directly in case it undermines sales of that amp?

But I like the twin channels and Genz Benz should have been offering this instead of their single input, dual preamp designs. I could use that. Shame it's not going to fit in a gig bag pocket though and shame the mic keeps distorting the low end in this clip too.

I have to confess that I am not a fan of digital amps (a sweeping generalisation but I've owned or at least tried in a real-life situation many of the main players), I find that they lack what I would defined as 'thump/punch' in the low end. I wouldn't say they were spongy in those frequencies but certainly they didn't carry the low end as non-digital amps can do (I am talking about decent quality brands). IIRC Dave Funk of Thunderfunk said that some amps throw doughnuts but his amps throw cannonballs.... not the greatest but it is visual enough for me! :D

Hence I am intrigued to try one of these but I have a feeling that the poor representation of the Warwick brand in the UK is going to make that difficult unless you live close to the one or two retailers which will undoubtedly be down South. Saying that I'd need some kind of returns policy as many digital amps can sound fine in isolation, then you put it in a live band scenario and you identify the shortcomings! :blink: ...unless someone has taken the plunge in the NE? ;) .

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1358565638' post='1941561']
"Classic bass amp sound"? Spongy low end?! WTF is he talking about? I've never enountered a Class D amp design that sounds like that.
[/quote]

I know exactly what he's talking about. :)

I certainly don't need 1000 watts, though. If it's an amp that'll hold its nerve at a decent volume, I don't need anything near 1000w.

While I'm on, what's going on with amp design these days? Markbass? Fugly. Ashdown? Fugly. Genz Benz (Streamliner excepted IMO)? Fugly. TC? Fugly. This one? Fugly.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1358583183' post='1941600']
I have to confess that I am not a fan of digital amps (a sweeping generalisation but I've owned or at least tried in a real-life situation many of the main players), I find that they lack what I would defined as 'thump/punch' in the low end.
[/quote]

Have you tried the Orange Terror Bass then? Thumps like a mofo.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1358585341' post='1941626']
Have you tried the Orange Terror Bass then? Thumps like a mofo.
[/quote]

JPJ on BC is local to me & has one, which sounded nice enough at low volume but I haven't personally tried that one... saying that he got rid of his in favour of lugging his big ol SWR about! :D

Why does 90% of bass gear videos always have someone slapping away at the speed of light with a ridiculously trebly tone? I'm playing bass professionally for 15 years and not once I was asked by engineers, musical directors, or band members for a sound like that. In what style of music does one use this kind of bass sound? Honest question.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1358587725' post='1941665']
Why does 90% of bass gear videos always have someone slapping away at the speed of light with a ridiculously trebly tone? I'm playing bass professionally for 15 years and not once I was asked by engineers, musical directors, or band members for a sound like that. In what style of music does one use this kind of bass sound? Honest question.
[/quote]

I dunno. It puzzles the hell out of me, too.

Why does 90% of bass gear videos always have someone slapping away at the speed of light with a ridiculously trebly tone? I'm playing bass professionally for 15 years and not once I was asked by engineers, musical directors, or band members for a sound like that. In what style of music does one use this kind of bass sound? Honest question.[/quote]

Thank you! It's bonkers, isn't it? HTF are you supposed to make any kind of judgement? And another thing - why don't they demonstrate the amp as it sounds in a band? Just hearing it solo is of little use, imho.

I think its fair for me to say that amp/bass demos sound the bloody same! Clickity click stuff played as fast as possible. Granted I listened to that through lap top speakers but the demos I've listened to through the hifi still sound the same. That could have been a number of active basses been played through any modern amp. I'd like to hear a potential future purchase played properly alongside a live drummer for example. I'm sure you'd get a better idea of what the amp is all about.
For me it was just another tiresome slap demo. (ok there was a bit of finger playing but you know what I'm getting at).
Also, is there going to be a gig bag available for it and is it rack mountable?

[quote name='bigthumb' timestamp='1358589537' post='1941698']
Reminded me of an old Denon hifi amp I used to own!
[/quote]

Ditto. Those mahogany sides, no carry handle to be seen. Yep, defo a Denon. Is there a phono input too? Does it do MC and MM? ;)

Edited by RandomBass

I listened to it through decent headphones, If anything I was wondering if they mastered the video with more bass in order to compensate for computer speakers. [quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1358583183' post='1941600']
I have to confess that I am not a fan of digital amps (a sweeping generalisation but I've owned or at least tried in a real-life situation many of the main players), I find that they lack what I would defined as 'thump/punch' in the low end. I wouldn't say they were spongy in those frequencies but certainly they didn't carry the low end as non-digital amps can do (I am talking about decent quality brands). IIRC Dave Funk of Thunderfunk said that some amps throw doughnuts but his amps throw cannonballs.... not the greatest but it is visual enough for me! :D
[/quote] Yep, and it's comments like this that make me want to pick up a heavier amp again. Wanna sell me your thunderfunk? :D

Looks like my Markbass LMK re housed in a 1970's B&O cassette player, but twice as awkward to take about. Can't believe they are serious about marketing it like that.
a lot of new wave bass heads do lack good slew rates that is importand to deliver the goods in a nano second, but we are all buying them and I bet they don't publish theirs either. <_<
Also I can change channel on my Markbass from Motown to Funk mid flight via a foot pedal, everything on here you need your hands

Edited by deepbass5

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1358602518' post='1941991']
Looks like my Markbass LMK re housed in a 1970's B&O cassette player, but twice as awkward to take about. Can't believe they are serious about marketing it like that.
a lot of new wave bass heads do lack good slew rates that is importand to deliver the goods in a nano second, but we are all buying them and I bet they don't publish theirs either. <_<
Also I can change channel on my Markbass from Motown to Funk mid flight via a foot pedal, everything on here you need your hands
[/quote] yeah it's missing a handle so it seems.

What seems odd to me about it too is the two channel thing - not two switchable channels - but two different preamps for different basses - maybe he's right and that's really useful... but... how many folk would use it?

I think we could all understand the design if it was £1500 and had an all valve preAmp and was aimed at the studio recording market. With the bonus of a small class D amp big enough for small gigs and rehearsals. Bet it would have flown off the shelves. But the 1000Watts does not add up as anyone needing that power is looking for roadie proof armour plating.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1358682698' post='1943155']
I think we could all understand the design if it was £1500 and had an all valve preAmp and was aimed at the studio recording market. With the bonus of a small class D amp big enough for small gigs and rehearsals. Bet it would have flown off the shelves. But the 1000Watts does not add up as anyone needing that power is looking for roadie proof armour plating.
[/quote] good point

the really odd thing is in the "new warwicks" thread folk seem to be excited about this amp, whereas on this thread in the amps section people are more sceptical

[/quote]
+1
I agree 100%

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1358726097' post='1944260']
good point

the really odd thing is in the "new warwicks" thread folk seem to be excited about this amp, whereas on this thread in the amps section people are more sceptical
[/quote]

I'm certainly interested in it, I'm always pleased to see more folks getting onboard the Class D thing, as it will only help to improve things.
I don't agree with Andy's comments about spongy low end associated with Class D's, but I do agree that some manufacturers have been fudging their figures to make the amps appear louder and more capable than they actually are, I won't name names but we all know who they are...
Having said all that, if this truly is 1000W it's a bit of overkill, as is the 2 channels, I think a smaller single channel "true" 500W amp would be a much more attractive proposition.

Eude