Fieldy

aende

For me, Fieldy is underrated;

I know that his name generally creates a love/hate thread - but for real:

Innovative - Hip hop bass, like it was nicked from a DJ decks
Sound - Fat and Clicky
Style - percussive - like a drummer
Impact - he ain't afraid to turn it up and play it hard

I love it and I am gonna learn how he does some stuff.....

Discuss....

**I also like Peter Cetera!

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1358551196' post='1941437']
I think his style is great, it fits with the genre. But I'd go as far as saying that his style is so unique and out of the box that it was probably too far out of reach to really inspire players to pick up the 5 string or even begin playing bass.
[/quote]

It inspired me to pick up a 5 string and to play bass (Along with Claypool)

I always saw him as more of a percussion player that happened to use a bass. His style is as dependant on muted percussive slapping as it is on actual notes.
It's a style and sound I don't like at all, but to Fieldy's credit, it worked extremely well for Korn and inspired a hell of a lot of kids to pick up a bass.

As an amusing side note, I once ordered a copy of his legendary solo album 'Fieldy's Dreams', to see if it was as awful as it reputation would suggest (it's worse). Not only did it cost me 1p new, the seller sent me two copies and a radio promo disc. Seems he couldn't get rid of them quick enough.

I've always like Fieldys playing, there's actually some groove and it makes a change from most metal bands who seem to be in a competition to see who can play the fastest.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1358597623' post='1941886']
I always saw him as more of a percussion player that happened to use a bass. His style is as dependant on muted percussive slapping as it is on actual notes.
[/quote]

Fieldy pretty much said the same thing,

[quote]That's the style I play. I'm a drummer. I'm a drummer on bass.[/quote]

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/interview/fieldy/

The first time I heard Korn the first thing I thought was "What an awful bass tone!", but I saw them play for the first time supporting Orgy and Fieldy was right in front of me on stage and I watched him closely throughout the set. I actually grew to admire his playing style. Okay, there is no finese to it and he is not technically mind blowing, but I had never heard that kind of aggressive and powerful style of bass playing in metal before. It's pretty hard to stand out from the crowd and be recognised as someone distinctive, so I have respect for him for that alone.

Ryan Martinie stepped in for Fieldy for a few gigs last year. Ryan is one of the most melodic and technically impressive players in the genre, but even though he played really well for Korn it wasn't the same as having Fieldy there. He does bring something quite unique. Yeah...I am a fan!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1358553295' post='1941488']
They hate him over on TB
[/quote]

They hate everything over on TB! Fortunately large quantities of the forum consist of hobbyists with a seemingly low interest in actual music, I'd like to think this forum is a bit better in this respect.

I was joking of course in my last post, I know very little about his playing but he certainly has influenced a lot of people of a younger generation to pick up bass which as far as I'm concerned is a wonderful thing.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1358643960' post='1942864']
A friend of mine did some backstage work at the former NEC and caught Mr Fieldy relieving himself into a one of the lighting rig flight case. This has coloured my opinion of him somehat.
[/quote]

He used to be really bad (they all did) due to alcohol/drug abuse. As far as I'm aware only one of them even drinks anymore and nowhere near as much as they used to.