Why become a member? ×

JLS "Britain's Hardest Working Band"

Jayben

I think back to the late 70's and early 80's. Between around 79 and 82 the Gillan band regularly did around 100 shows a year, most of them as the headline act and recorded 5 studio albums plus a few non album singles. Proper working band, that. They would sometimes play the same venue twice in the same year, almost unheard of now among 'proper' bands.

PRS for Music should take the stick for compiling such a ridiculous list and JLS should be ashamed to receive such an 'award'.

Their fan base is quite young and it gives the impression a hard working band only do 34 shows then take the rest of the year off.

The band I'm going to see tomorrow do between 240 and 260 gigs a year, from small pub venues to having just come back from supporting Deep Purple in large venues in Europe. In between they are writing and recording. That to me is hard work.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1358521155' post='1940757']
I had a good ole rant about this earlier on FB. Here's the cliff notes!! lol

[/color]

Edited, as it was a bit of a pre-coffee rage first thing this morning!
[/quote]
Nice one, Dood.. have a coffee and relax, now. :D

'Marvin'
PRS for Music should take the stick for compiling such a ridiculous list and JLS should be ashamed to receive such an 'award'.

Their fan base is quite young and it gives the impression a hard working band only do 34 shows then take the rest of the year off.

The band I'm going to see tomorrow do between 240 and 260 gigs a year, from small pub venues to having just come back from supporting Deep Purple in large venues in Europe. In between they are writing and recording. That to me is hard work.

MB1.
Now that would make JLS......Just . Lazy. Sods?...

.........Coat Collected!

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1358527484' post='1940934']
It's a typographic error.

They've actually been crowned "Britain's Hardest W@nking Band".

Explains how they stay in shape. I guess they must switch arms every few weeks or something to maintain symmetry.
[/quote]

Only explanation.

Perhaps the PRS should talk to real musicians about "working hard".

[size=4][quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358528731' post='1940963'][/size]
If I knew how to use emoticons there would be one laughing its' head off at that .
[/quote]

:laugh1:

edit: sorry, not laughing at you... just showing you the emoticon! :)

Edited by Mornats

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1358527484' post='1940934']
It's a typographic error.

They've actually been crowned "Britain's Hardest W@nking Band".

Explains how they stay in shape. I guess they must switch arms every few weeks or something to maintain symmetry.
[/quote]

I saw earlier today that they had an advertising campaign with their faces on condom packaging. Maybe they enjoy the 'posh' variety then!!

[quote name='Toasted' timestamp='1358521084' post='1940756']
Context is everything: [i][color=#333333][font=Georgia,]JLS have been crowned Britain's hardest-working band in 2012 after headlining more major concerts than any other artists.[/font][/color][/i]
[/quote]
[quote name='richardjmorgan' timestamp='1358521783' post='1940773']
Eh, I just don't see the point in getting particularly riled up about this. Sure, it's stupid, but it's obviously not directed at anyone with a genuine interest in music, it's just yet another bit of PR-motivated industry self-congratulation.
[/quote]
[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358525926' post='1940896']
[/quote]

+1

It's a bit of PR puffery on the part of PRS. Their press release begins "JLS have been re-crowned the most performed artists to headline at MAJOR VENUES for 2012 by [i]PRS for Music[/i]." (their emphasis). All totally factual but as boring as hell, so they head the release with "hardest working band" to get the attention of journos in the sure knowledge it'll get people frothing at the mouth, thus generating more publicity.

If it calms anyone down, rest assured there is no award, just a list.

Surely we've all been around enough to know how this sort of thing works?

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1358535146' post='1941134']
If it calms anyone down, rest assured there is no award, just a list.[/quote]

If they get more publicity from this, they [i]will [/i]get an award - in the form of cash, as more deluded boy-fans buy from their huge range of clothes, shoes, fragrances and all the other billion bits of minging JLS-themed merch-tat.

And yes, I [i]am [/i]jealous, and being old I [i]do [/i]hate to see young people being successful, so don't start. :D

Edited by discreet

Disgusting. PRS's reason d'etre is apparently to represent "songwriters, composers, and music publishers", and yet for a bit of cheap publicity they laud four chancers who've never had any involvement with the first two in their professional lives, and are simply making money for the latter.

From the PRS statement: "[color=#4C4C4C][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2]Gigging is as important for the biggest performers as those starting out and it’s great to see that it is thriving in the UK.[size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]" [/font][/size][/size][/font][/color][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=2][size=4][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]No, it isn't (as important), because once you're big enough to play 34 gigs in a year and make a living it's considerably less important to you than the working musician who needs to pay their rent, insurance, vehicle costs, rehearsal costs and everything else by gigging everywhere and anywhere that will have you and pay. PRS should be f***ing ashamed of themselves for this piece of insulting blatent self-publicity. [/font][/size][/size][/font]

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1358524320' post='1940862']
How are we defining band here? Admittedly this probably shows my ignorance, but from what I've seen JLS themselves are basically a few glorified karaoke singers working to a backing track(or if an actual backing band of instrumentalists is involved, they're very well hidden indeed...)
[/quote]

For tv work, what's the point in them paying for a band to mime behind them, that money is just a waste and people would just complain that the band were miming.

Their proper live shows do have a live band though. They're not hidden but they're not in the limelight either, why should they be? People aren't paying to watch what the band behind them, they've paid for tickets to watch JLS.

I saw them when I was at the mobos last year and they were great live, Josephross was on guitar & MD last time I checked, with Ginger Hamilton on drums who is a monster player. Can't remember who else was playing though. ,

Do they deserve this 'award', I don't really care, it doesn't exactly affect anyone in any way what so ever.

Edited by JakeBrownBass

[quote name='Ian Savage' timestamp='1358540486' post='1941257']
Disgusting. PRS's reason d'etre is apparently to represent "songwriters, composers, and music publishers", and yet for a bit of cheap publicity they laud four chancers who've never had any involvement with the first two in their professional lives, and are simply making money for the latter.
[/quote]

And you have this info on good authority?

How an earth are you meant know what the cutting sheet was in the studio & how much involvement the guys had on songs if you were not there?

Personally I see them - andf their ilk - as nothing more than a watered down version of the vocal groups that have been formed since before Motown. The style of song is flavour of the month just now due to Pop Idol, X factor, BGT (same sh*t, different title), so none of it will be remembered as any form of classic in the realms of Ronettes, Drifters, Four Tops, etc. in the future so all-in-all I don't give it any thought.

This is a musicians forum, JLS aren't musicians, they have very little relevance and working musicians on any level, whether they're playing the Frog & Sickbag on Friday or O2 arena they'd give zero credence to this <_< "award".