Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356709068' post='1912751']
Cannot believe these comments about Mitch Mitchell and Noel Redding . They were an integral part of the sound of Hendrixs records and made a huge contribution to the enduring legacy of Hendrixs music . Noel took to playing the bass like a natural and played better than most other bassists of the era , and Mitch Mitchells agile drumming style acted as a foil to Hendrixs histrionics on the guitar .
[/quote]

I'd agree about Noel Redding, though I heard that he was very reluctant to pick up bass. Mitch Mitchell though? no way - his playing has often spoilt the pleasure of listening to Hendrix for me, he sometimes plays as though he's not aware of being at the same gig.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1356709808' post='1912767']
I wouldn't put Adan Clayton in the same bracket as the other two because he makes so much more of a contribution to the sound of that band than the other two ( three ) have ever done to theirs . Show me a Coldplay or Oasis record where the bass is an integral part of the overall composition like it is on New Years Day , With Or Without You , Still Havent Found ect and several others I can't be bothered to name ,. It might be simple but it's memorable and often highly effective . The same cannot be said of the fellows out of Coldplay or Oasis , who have literally never played anything of any merit . Ever .
[/quote]
I dont like any of the bands in question but disagree on all levels, the boring basslines were integral to the early Oasis and Coldplay.

I cant beleive I am defending Cold Play :lol:

If you played anything else over this it would of made something other than Oasis, that might be a good thing who knows but enough people liked it didn't they?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeLKhRnkhQ[/media]

I hate them but I guess it inspired many people to think "well I could play that lets get a band going" :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356710334' post='1912778']
I dont like any of the bands in question but disagree on all levels, the boring basslines were integral to the early Oasis and Coldplay.

I cant beleive I am defending Cold Play :lol:
[/quote]

I am not a fan of any of those bands either Pete , but give me U2 over Oasis and Coldplay any day of the week . I honestly don't think I could discern ( and certainly not remember ) any bassline from any Oasis or Coldplay record . It's all a complete blank . I suppose that in itself is quite an achievement .

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1356710163' post='1912775']
I'd agree about Noel Redding, though I heard that he was very reluctant to pick up bass. Mitch Mitchell though? no way - his playing has often spoilt the pleasure of listening to Hendrix for me, he sometimes plays as though he's not aware of being at the same gig.
[/quote]

I seem to remember that Hendrix was looking for a modern jazz -style drummer , so I think , for better or worse depending on your view , Mitch Mitchells style was intentionally busy .

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1356709926' post='1912770']
He never touched the bass again after Hendrix gave him the heave ho. He preferred guitar.
[/quote]

He bass-ed with Road and the Noel Redding Band long after he left Jimi.

I've always been a big fan of Jimi, with Noel or Billy Cox. Both integral to the overall sound - as I sit typing this with the 'Winterland' concerts playing loudly behind me, with Noel on top form.

Regardless of technique, gear, and what ever is examined, I'm always amazed at how the bassist in perhaps the hottest trio of all time, behind the the ultimate guitarist, can be seen as 'duff'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XTkOWvpb-Y

Terrible, right?? :D

Was talking about this in the local muso shop.

You try playing straight 8's all night like a metronome... sometimes it is easier to go off and do something else playing-wise
than nail the part each and every night.
Sure the guy might not get another gig, but he has that one pretty much down.

I think picks do straight 8's very well... and you'll be surprised how often fingers lose it.

FWIW, I think Adam C does a good job... but again, will he get another gig..??
Guess that is not a problem... :lol:

Hendrix described Mitchell as his "Bar of Gold". In my book that means he's untouchable! Noel held his own- 3 albums and seemingly an impossible number of gigs before Jimi said enough was enough. Must have meant he was a poor bass player!

With regards to saying that Oasis, Coldplay or U2 have poor bass players- they are performing their function, they've travelled the world and millions haven't realised they've heard them play! Laughing all the way to the bank would be my guess. Doesn't the guy from coldplay have a Ferrari Dino?

As an aside, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than listen to the above three bands but I recognise it's a style of musicianship that is extremely difficult to pull off. I'm guessing the members of Basschat won't be headlining Glastonbury next year with their combined Victor Wooton/ Stanley Clarke tribute...

I would say the bass on coldplays' fix you is prety integral to the sound and feel of the song....I actually quite like cold play and U2...I think the bass just "fits" :ph34r: ........
having played in a Stereophonics tribute band where i refused to copy the original bass lines because they were so boring, I suppose I could nominate Richaed Jones as one who is "poor"

However what he plays fits the songs also ..and I heard him being interviewed once and he said he played what he thought was a "blinding bass line" to wireless radio in the studio but Kelly Jones hated it and made him play root notes ....

So who knows your "poor" bass player may just be following orders!

Away from the recordings both Quo guitarists are rumoured to be excellent players & yet the general view is "3 chords, can't play etc". Playing in half full pubs & clubs as a sideline I don't want to knock any professional musician as they are out there & doing it. I'm no U2 fan but I've worked with people who really rate that guy so fair play to him.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1356709926' post='1912770']
....He never touched the bass again after Hendrix gave him the heave ho. He preferred guitar....
[/quote]

That's because he was a guitarist. Noel went for the guitar gig with the Animals but was persuaded to play bass for Hendrix instead.

I don't blame Noel Redding for playing bass with Hendrix. What a great gig!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1356714786' post='1912883']

That's because he was a guitarist. Noel went for the guitar gig with the Animals but was persuaded to play bass for Hendrix instead.

I don't blame Noel Redding for playing bass with Hendrix. What a great gig!
[/quote]
I would have played for Jimi too if only he would have asked :)
And i play just like Noel lol

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1356718361' post='1912932']
....listen to the bassline on Maggie may , some say it is full of ghost notes and muted tones , to me it sounds as if it was played after a bottle of scotch....
[/quote]

Yep, although it would have been a bottle of brandy.

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1356718361' post='1912932']
I am sure some have off days , but listen to the bassline on Maggie may , some say it is full of ghost notes and muted tones , to me it sounds as if it was played after a bottle of scotch :P
[/quote]

I thought I once heard that was played by Ronnie Wood?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356684104' post='1912303']
The reason most AC/DC covers bands are sh*te is because they dont have a Cliff Williams! People think because they can slap and pop they are better (even people on here who have never left the shed) so many of those players cant play a 4 minute pop song and keep time, Its like the story of the drum clinic where the guy just played a straight solid beat for 15 minutes or something and told everyone to learn how to do that and they will be able to have a career in the business ;)
[/quote]

spot on !!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356710660' post='1912789']
If you played anything else over this it would of made something other than Oasis, that might be a good thing who knows but enough people liked it didn't they?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaeLKhRnkhQ[/media]

I hate them but I guess it inspired many people to think "well I could play that lets get a band going" :)
[/quote]
well said Pete, Not everones cup of tea, and i love playing oasis stuff at gigs, always gets the crowds going.