Why become a member? ×

are there any super bands with poor bass players?

iconic

The reason most AC/DC covers bands are sh*te is because they dont have a Cliff Williams! People think because they can slap and pop they are better (even people on here who have never left the shed) so many of those players cant play a 4 minute pop song and keep time, Its like the story of the drum clinic where the guy just played a straight solid beat for 15 minutes or something and told everyone to learn how to do that and they will be able to have a career in the business ;)

The thing is, we`re judging these players abilities by their recordings, and what they do on their material live, whereas that isn`t necessarily their limitations.

I remember being really amazed when The Power Station came out, as Andy Taylor could really play guitar, whereas his work in Duran Duran wasn`t that taxing, as they worked more to the keys.

So just cos Nikki Sixx/Cliff Williams/Adam Clayton don`t slap bass on their recordings, doesn`t mean they`re not competent at this, it`s just their music doesn`t warrant it.

Spot on Pete - Cliff is a great bassist, he does exactly what AC/DC needs - if you have Angus, you don`t need anything getting in the way of him. Play to your strengths.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356684104' post='1912303']
The reason most AC/DC covers bands are sh*te is because they dont have a Cliff Williams! People think because they can slap and pop they are better (even people on here who have never left the shed) so many of those players cant play a 4 minute pop song and keep time, Its like the story of the drum clinic where the guy just played a straight solid beat for 15 minutes or something and told everyone to learn how to do that and they will be able to have a career in the business ;)
[/quote]

Exactly!

Nicely put Pete.

I used to think Meg from the White Stripes was sh*t but its just an act and they did something different, Glastonbury I think it was a few years ago they did a little pre rehearsed jam thing and it was so tight that there is no way the drumming we see is the top of her ability. Oasis would of sounded like every other band if the drummer and bass player had gone all out, it was that empty sound with Noel's typical solos that made them, even after they could have the best players in the world they kept that original style, I and hate Oasis! :D

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[i]this is my take,[/i]
[i]a while ago I saw a interview with carmine rojas,the bass player with joe bonamassa,[/i]
[i]the interviewer said to him,[/i]
[i]you did not do a solo tonight why?[/i]
[i]he replied[/i]
[i]well its my job to make him sound good not to star,[/i]
[i]I play what is needed,[/i]
[i]so this is a guy thats played with bowie ect a fantastic player,[/i]
[i]but here is the rub,[/i]
[i]a selfless player who has the talent and then some to star,good song writer [/i]
[i]but does the job thats required,[/i]
[i]and to me thats what all of these named players do,[/i]
[i]their playing might not float everyones boat,and a few here would say they could do better[/i]
[i]but the fact is they are not,and the guys in said bands are[/i]
[i]this is not a dig at any previous posts[/i]
[i]just my opinion,[/i]
[i]oh and yes I have in my time said the very same things,I could better ect,[/i]
[i]but now in the twilight of my bass playing time after thirty something years playing,and in the early years[/i]
[i]a little bit of success and fun,I think well done to all their continued success[/i]

[i]cheers[/i]
[i]stef[/i]

Edited by stef030

Robert Hurst (Wynton Marsalis, Branford Marsalis, Tony Williams, Mulgrew Miller, Harry Connick Jr., Geri Allen, Russell Malone, Steve Coleman and The Tonight Show band) said that a bass player shoud 'get off on making other people sound good'. I could not do Cliff WIlliams' job in 1,000 years; I lack the discipline (although I am getting better as I get older). And shocking as it may sound, not every bass player is just a bass player; sometimes they write songs, do b. vocs, add glamour at some level or another, multi-task (Geddy Lee is not half as good a bass player as he is made out to be (same with Peart's drumming)) etc etc. Being the bass player in a lot of rock 'n'n roll/pop/metal bands is rarely about being a great musician. Often 'good enough' is good eonough.

I don't think you can slam a bass player for playing route notes or simple rythms if that is what is needed....Oasis, AC/DC, Status Quo and god knows how many more spring to mind.

The only examples I can think of of 'super bands' where the bass player could not genuinely play...and this ise from people who worked with the bands...would be

Alec John Such - Bon Jovi.......widely known he didn't record the bass on the albums and could not play the songs live but his image was in keeping

Sid Vicious - Sex Pistols.....all about the image!

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356647781' post='1912111']
Whoever that bloke in Muse is.
[/quote]

See, what makes a superband..??
I wouldn't call them a super band as they were unknown before... ditto U2
That is not to say they aren't worthwhile etc etc ... but they aren't a super band by definition.. IMO

Superbands, to me, is a band made up of already well respected players.
Cream..?? Derek and the Dominos..?? CSNY.

In that regard, I'd say Stuff... Gordon Edwards wasn't in the same league as the rest, altho I thought he did ok.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356691329' post='1912386']
See, what makes a superband..??
I wouldn't call them a super band as they were unknown before... ditto U2
That is not to say they aren't worthwhile etc etc ... but they aren't a super band by definition.. IMO

Superbands, to me, is a band made up of already well respected players.
Cream..?? Derek and the Dominos..?? CSNY.

In that regard, I'd say Stuff... Gordon Edwards wasn't in the same league as the rest, altho I thought he did ok.
[/quote]

That's the difference between a "super band" and "super-band/superband", or indeed a "supergroup" as the used to be called, in which case I'd agree with your definition. "Blind faith" & CSNY being ones that spring to mind.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356691501' post='1912389']
I would say you are referring to a supergroup JTUK?

Chickenfoot, them crooked vultures etc
[/quote]

Yes, agree, Supergroup, Superband.

I could pile in with peoples defintion of super group :lol: but I had a late night so..?? :lol:

They all seem to have made a heep of money...and as we all know, that isn't easy.
Sure, luck plays a part... but how many of us think they could do the roles..??

I've seen a drummer of a MASSIVE group mentioned here play local and ...well, you can get where I am going :lol:
but he has a career in stadium rock and his CV is mightily impressive but at the local gigs... hmmmmm

Interesting thread is what makes a player good enough.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1356692280' post='1912401']
There are more rotten bands around than useless bass players. Most rock bands are unbelievably, stunningly dull and boring...but are completely oblivious to it.
[/quote]
But see above re. Cliff Williams, Carmine Rojas, etc.

Often the bass player's job is to play very simple parts to make the rest of the band sound good!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1356646930' post='1912099']
...is one of the most solid rock bassists out there and one hell of backing vocalist to boot. So, you're way off the mark there.
[/quote]

Agree he's not the most technical but he does exactly what the band wanted and needed.
IMO thats the sign of a good bassist - to play what is needed for the song.
Also note that he was playing some nice little chords on the first album although not easily recognised because of his bass sound.

Does make you wonder how they would have sounded with someone playing a more technical bass rather than straight rock. Would it have been better ?
Much the same for U2.
The guy from Slade was also a basic player in majority of their songs but was more than technically capable of playing very nice bass runs.

Its back to the old horses for courses i guess.

Dave

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1356692069' post='1912396']
Yes, agree, Supergroup, Superband.

I could pile in with peoples defintion of super group :lol: but I had a late night so..?? :lol:

They all seem to have made a heep of money...and as we all know, that isn't easy.
Sure, luck plays a part... but how many of us think they could do the roles..??

I've seen a drummer of a MASSIVE group mentioned here play local and ...well, you can get where I am going :lol:
but he has a career in stadium rock and his CV is mightily impressive but at the local gigs... hmmmmm

Interesting thread is what makes a player good enough.
[/quote]

Think personality has to play a major part in selecting any musician for a band. Maybe he's just a nice guy. ? :)
Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1356694497' post='1912437']

The guy from Slade was also a basic player in majority of their songs but was more than technically capable of playing very nice bass runs.

Dave
[/quote]
He was too tired to play fancy bass lines by the time he had written the songs and recorded the fabulous piano parts ;)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356694797' post='1912447']
He was too tired to play fancy bass lines by the time he had written the songs and recorded the fabulous piano parts ;)
[/quote]

Yep would agree there. Wasn't having a dig at him - was meant as a compliment. I think he was greatly under-rated by the media. And he's a nice guy too.

I see this topic come up a lot on forums and it annoys the pants of me. I think its wrong to call other musicians 'poor'

So some players may not have the technical ability of others, so what. They do what is required, and have made a lot of money doing it.

Would people be happier if Adam Clayton played super mega slap basslines on 7 strings? That would really benefit the songs U2 write wouldn't it.

I'm no way the greatest on bass, nor if I'm honest do I really want to be. My basslines are simple, but effective. I play what the song requires.

**End of rant**

[quote name='Ninja_Baby' timestamp='1356695174' post='1912455']
I see this topic come up a lot on forums and it annoys the pants of me. I think its wrong to call other musicians 'poor'

So some players may not have the technical ability of others, so what. They do what is required, and have made a lot of money doing it.

Would people be happier if Adam Clayton played super mega slap basslines on 7 strings? That would really benefit the songs U2 write wouldn't it.

I'm no way the greatest on bass, nor if I'm honest do I really want to be. My basslines are simple, but effective. I play what the song requires.

**End of rant**
[/quote]

Oh so true :rolleyes: