Why become a member? ×

Brass nut... What are the advantages?

blunderthumbs

I am no expert, but if the frets and the nut were made of cheese, it would sound terrible. if they were made from plastic, yes, terrible.

Sound travels best through a dense and rigid material, increasing sustain. Metal therefore is ideal.

To me, it stands to reason that a brass nut would improve sustain over a bone, composite or plastic nut.

But to a noticeable degree? Is the guy in the audience going to faint in awe at the improvement a brass nut has made to your bands sound? Doubtful.

Looks awesome though!

I'd say it affects only open string notes. I suppose there would be some sound difference if the string was vibrating off a piece of plastic, bone, or brass. I find that to be true in the sense that open strings on a brass nut sound more like normally fretted ones

There is actually a very good reason for metal topnuts.
When you fret a note on a fretted guitar the point of contact is a metal fret. Metal sounds different to wood or bone. Therefore when you play a string open you would ideally want it to have the same tone as anywhere else on the neck. Metal frets, metal bridge, metal nut. Steel would be ideal but a bitch to manufacture and impossible for the average Jo to setup.

Synthetic bone (some type of plastic) I would of thought, is a cheaper alternative to brass.

....the Westone I just posted off had a brass nut and so did my Aria SB and they were both [i]very well[/i] built instruments.

....but I wouldn't wish to try filing a brass nut when setting up a bass!

Another advantage is your Dad can make you one out of an abandoned bog door lock when you're a teenager and when you're still using it at 50 with 1000+ gigs and adventures under your belt and your Dad's not around any more , you realise what a truly precious possession you have !!

I know that there's an ACG out there somewhere with a piezo pickup at the nut. It would be worth seeing what string sounds that actually picks up, as presumably there will be some slight transmission of vibration along the string, even on a fretted note, as the fretting finger isn't a vice (some of my fretting falls short of being a virtue, mind). I suspect that the actual difference in sound is negligible, if not imperceptible.

I do like my Just-A-Nut 1s on the Warwicks, though, and have put one on one of the Tsai 5-strings too. If I was having a nut made and the price difference was insignificant, I'd go for brass, but that's just a personal thing.

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1355734339' post='1901829']
Hi Guys.
My Jaydee is going in to John Diggins after Christmas for a service and I was
thinking of having a brass nut fitted whilst it's there.
Do you get more sustain or would it make little difference?
[/quote]

Ask John in advance; he won't try to convince of something he doesn't believe in himself - and might even have one in with one already on it for you to try out.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1355755925' post='1902215']
Ask John in advance; he won't try to convince of something he doesn't believe in himself - and might even have one in with one already on it for you to try out.
[/quote]

+1 on this . John Diggins is a master guitar builder up there with the very best and will give you the benefit of his expertise . My own two pence worth would be that brass nuts have certain disadvantages , most notably that they are more susceptible than you might think to being worn down by the abrasion of roundwound strings . Also , they do not in any way make open strings sound more like fretted notes . Open strings tend to sound louder and more prominent anyway , and a brass nut will only accentuate that , if indeeed it makes any difference at all . If you really wanted open strings to sound like fretted notes then you would actually try to make them slightly more muted . Plastic and graphite nuts sound perfectly fine and are easily maintained and replaced , and as others have stated , the nut makes no difference to the sound of the fretted notes .

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1355753573' post='1902172']
[b]I do like my Just-A-Nut 1s on the Warwicks, though[/b], and have put one on one of the Tsai 5-strings too. If I was having a nut made and the price difference was insignificant, I'd go for brass, but that's just a personal thing.
[/quote]

I find them a nightmarish contraption, Warwick admitted they were a poor design and came up with the JANII which is total sh*t and breaks easily, as well as being very sharp. But the JANIII (especially in brass) is fantastic.