Why become a member? ×

Brass nut... What are the advantages?

blunderthumbs

I have had a couple of basses with brass nuts and I do notice a difference. There is a little more zing when playing an open note and balances quite nicely between the fretted notes. I have always considered with a brass nut the string resonance transfers to the neck in the same as the saddles/bridge does to the body. Well, in my world it makes sense otherwise bridges would be made of plastic.

The zero fret on my old MTD 535 gave a similar result, but I really struggled to get a usable low action on that bass. Dunno if it was because of the zero fret or not.

If your bass lines only consist of open EADG and you like heaps of sustain then a brass nut would be the way to go.
However, I would defy anyone to tell the difference beteween the aforementioned 'cheese' nut and a brass nut on a fretted string.
If you are an open EADG merchant, then I would suggest the cut of a nut is more critical than the material... a well cut plastic nut could well offer more sustain than a poorly cut brass nut
For me, nut material makes bugger-all difference. The only time I would play an open string (on a 4 string) is when I need the low E. I always fret the ADG notes..

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1355762860' post='1902373']
....For me, nut material makes bugger-all difference. The only time I would play an open string (on a 4 string) is when I need the low E. I always fret the ADG notes....
[/quote]

+1

That's another benefit of playing a 5 string bass; I don't even have to play an open E.

The problem I have found with zero frets is that they very quickly developed serious wear , with grooves rapidly developing in the zero fret where it is under constant pressure from the point of contact of the string

Warwick got the idea from the JustANut from Alembic , who had developed their own adjustable nut in response to John Entwistle complaining that the brass nuts on his Alembic basses were frequently needing replacing because the slots were worn down so quickly by the serrations of his Rotosound strings passing through them . Alembic made an adjustable nut for John so his tech could just raise the nut when it had worn down .

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1355760205' post='1902302']
I have had a couple of basses with brass nuts and I do notice a difference. There is a little more zing when playing an open note and balances quite nicely between the fretted notes. I have always considered with a brass nut the string resonance transfers to the neck in the same as the saddles/bridge does to the body. Well, in my world it makes sense otherwise bridges would be made of plastic.

The zero fret on my old MTD 535 gave a similar result, but I really struggled to get a usable low action on that bass. Dunno if it was because of the zero fret or not.
[/quote]

The difference between metal bridges and a metal nut is that the bridge is in contant contact with the speaking lenghth of the string , whereas once you fret a note the nut is in effect redundant .

If your bass lines only consist of open EADG and you like heaps of sustain then a brass nut would be the way to go.
However, I would defy anyone to tell the difference beteween the aforementioned 'cheese' nut and a brass nut on a fretted string.
If you are an open EADG merchant, then I would suggest the cut of a nut is more critical than the material... a well cut plastic nut could well offer more sustain than a poorly cut brass nut
For me, nut material makes bugger-all difference. The only time I would play an open string (on a 4 string) is when I need the low E. I always fret the ADG notes..
[/quote]

Exactly . The open strings don't need any help to sustain . Brass nuts began to proliferate in the late 70s/early 1980s , when fashionable thinking to do with bridges and hardware in general was that the heavier and denser the better . Brass everything was order of the day , to the extent of things like the brass sustain blocks on Alembic basses ( also appropriated by JD) that the brass bridge anchors onto , as if that wasn't enough brass on it's own .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1355751351' post='1902142']
I have never cared about this stuff. Whatever benefits there are of a nut made of unicorn horn will be completely eliminated if the drummer leaves his snare on (which he invariably does) or anyone in the venue speaks (which they invariably do). ;)
[/quote]

So a brass nut [i]might[/i] be of use on a bass in a recording studio, then?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1355766402' post='1902467']
The problem I have found with zero frets is that they very quickly developed serious wear , with grooves rapidly developing in the zero fret where it is under constant pressure...
[/quote]

My Vigier is 17 years old, and its zero fret shows no real signs of wear at all.
Perhaps because they use [i]hardened[/i] zero frets? (As do some other manufacturers)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1355767865' post='1902505']
My Vigier is 17 years old, and its zero fret shows no real signs of wear at all.
Perhaps because they use [i]hardened[/i] zero frets? (As do some other manufacturers)
[/quote]

That would be [i]why[/i] they use hardened zero frets . Unfortunately my experience suggests that some other manufacturers do not , or if they do they aren't hard enough .

Never had one on a bass, but my Gordon Smith GS1 came with an adjustable brass nut. I thought I'd try a Tusq nut on it - the difference (open or fretted) was very apparent.

I refitted the brass nut very quickly to regain the treble and clarity that I was used too....

[/quote]

Well, you [i]say[/i] that but surely it would also depend on the type of cheese. It has to be hard cheese. For example Gruyere or Parmesan rind makes excellent nut material. But even those as apparently 'firm' as - say - Cheddar or Wensleydale are useless in the practical sense.

As for [i]brass [/i]nuts, I've always had one on my P and it's never once attracted any attention either positive or negative. Just sounds like a P. Maybe it would be diffferent with the OP's nice bass.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1355739862' post='1901916']
Advantage = open notes sound like fretted notes.

Disadvantage = they fall off in the cold....

Coat, hat and gloves on....exiting door rapidly.... :D
[/quote]
ha ha yes very good. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to come up with something along those lines. I was sorely tempted myself....

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1355872117' post='1904002']

Well, you [i]say[/i] that but surely it would also depend on the type of cheese. It has to be hard cheese. For example Gruyere or Parmesan rind makes excellent nut material. But even those as apparently 'firm' as - say - Cheddar or Wensleydale are useless in the practical sense.

[/quote]
well I suggest we ask those famous Luthiers, Wallace & Grommit, and be done with it... ;)

On my old P I use for practice the A string buzzes on open so I wedged some silver foil under it. Makes no difference to anything, except stops it buzzing when played open.

My Pre-EB Stingray came with a brass nut, looked great when I polished it, but I think that's about it.

I suppose it could help if you use a Hipshot, but that works perfectly on my EBBM 'Ray with a mere plastic nut anyway.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1355872117' post='1904002']

As for [i]brass [/i]nuts, I've always had one on my P and it's never once attracted any attention either positive or negative. Just sounds like a P. Maybe it would be diffferent with the OP's nice bass.
[/quote]
The discerning bass player and cheese connoisseur would adapt their basses according to what style of music was being played. A selection of cheese nuts should always be included in a bass players tool kit.
Obviously if you are in a band playing dum-di-dum "I woke up this morning" type stuff, then a mature blue would be the preferred nut. However, if your musical taste is more Mausoleum or Cannibal Corpse then, while not the obvious choice, Roquefort does aid the fast staccato riffing.
If you're in a Bob Marley tribute act, any old smoked cheese nut would suffice.
If your in a band that includes Cliff Richard covers, then the [i]type[/i] of cheese is of no consequence, a good slab is what's needed,[i] quantity[/i] is the key here. As a side note, controversially, it has been suggested that [b]no[/b] cheese nuts of any kind were ever used on any Cliff Richard sessions... I remain unconvinced on that score.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355751806' post='1902152']
Another advantage is your Dad can make you one out of an abandoned bog door lock when you're a teenager and when you're still using it at 50 with 1000+ gigs and adventures under your belt and your Dad's not around any more , you realise what a truly precious possession you have !!
[/quote]
If you made that up then you are a genius who should write a book. If its true then what a lovely story it is.