Why become a member? ×

I'VE HAD ENOUGH-Feckin singers,MY Arse

LeftyBiskit

Here we go ANOTHER IVE Left my band thread.
In a word feck 'em
just been binned by the band(5 yrs) as i'm not up for it -singer and guitards words they dont have to lug the PA up 2 flights of stairs after every gig,pay the missus 20 quid for taxi fares 2 and back from work just so i can massage the singers ego,not to mention the lazy twohat never helps with the load out.not mention that the singer twot thinks coz he lets us rehearse at his place of work he can turn up to a gig,drink beer all night,then f*** off(sorry mods please edit)and crawl into a taxi.
so in a dragons den style.Im best off out of it.
If you want to know the band ,,,pm's welcome
ps the clue is in my avatar

Edited by LeftyBiskit

What is it with these prima donnas. I can't stand band members that don't pull their weight. Just because they are up front singing their wee hearts out doesn't give them any right to ignore the work. It's not until you become Tony Bennet that you can stroll on, sing, and stroll off. Who does this singer think he is. You're better off leaving this band and finding a proper bunch of musos who appreciate each other. All the best!

Pretty much par for the course for bands- there will always be an element that doesnt pull their weight in any band or business or football team or whatever. I think the problem is not nipping this in the bud at the first opportunity- then you dont have the backbiting etc and everyone knows where they stand.

Mind you some people are simply thick and dont understand what they should be doing and have no understanding of what other people do that is above and beyond the call of duty. Been there- done that.

Let me get this ..?? you humped the P.A around for them, loaded in and out and they didn't help out with any of that..??
You must have the patience of a saint.

I'd say that was worth.... at least... another share of the fee per gig. And even then, you can expect help with the carry and set-up.
So, for a 4 piece band doing £250, you get £100 per gig. that sort of thing.

Singers....hmmmm

Our original singer used to lay on the floor and sing at some rehearsals, got quite pissed at our first gig and forgot some of the lyrics. He used to bugger straight off after rehearsals/gigs - sometimes without even saying ta ta AND sang flat some of the time - result SACKED!

Had a girl after that, nice voice but not powerful enough, result - let her down GENTLY

Had a guy with a really good rock voice after that, did one rehearsal with him, he then sent a txt said he had clinical depression - why respond to the add then? Result - sent him a nice txt sayin "get well soon and you can sing with us anytime"

Next guy we did about 4 rehearsals with, decent voice but he's been singing thrash metal in his last band and was prone to screaming at times. Took ages to learn anything, said he'd buy a mic and didn't, ducked out of several rehearsals, result - SACKED!

Last guy - decent rock voice, did one 1 hour rehearsal with him, next day we get an e mail "I'm willing to be in the band but I don't wanna rehearse where you do, we MUST NOT use rehearsals to learn songs just polish them, if you are going to do backing vox you MUST learn the songs and I don't like your set and I'll send you some replacements"?????? WTF Result - ROYALLY SACKED!!!!

Present situation is that I'm playing bass and singing as a stop gap. I don't enjoy it as much as ONLY playing bass but needs must - I just don't have the voice/range for it to work in a gig situ. It's a real shame as our set is polished and we make a good sound. The three of us are also like brudda's.

....so yes...I do share your frustration with effin singers!!!!!!

Rant over

[quote name='dougal' timestamp='1355498159' post='1899275']
"we MUST NOT use rehearsals to learn songs just polish them"

I have this argument with my band the whole time. I'm on the singer's side with this one.
[/quote]

Yup, 100%. Me and my best mate and quite an annoying kid formed a band (if it could be called that). My best mate insisted that we learn nothing until we get to rehearsals, i said we learn everything, then make it fit in rehearsals. But we had one rehearsal, then a lot of talks from the other kid, and i got annoyed and left. My mate gave him too many chances because he believed him far more than he should have, and then he eventually quit too.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1355506331' post='1899452']
Yep rehearsals are not practices but times when a band gets together to fine tune songs not learn them. What a waste of time listening to someone work out a solo.

Still surprised how many bands simply don't get it.
[/quote]

It depends whether it is an originals or covers band. If covers, then yea, definitely learn before rehearsal, but I would argue that if it is an originals band then learning/writing songs at practice is good.

[quote name='LeftyBiskit' timestamp='1355447741' post='1898641']

If you want to know the band ,,,pm's welcome
ps the clue is in my avatar
[/quote]

Since no one else is having a bash I'll take a guess at:

TheYoung Ones
Bacon Sandwich
Bambi goes crazy ape bonkers with his drill and sex
Scumbag College

and so on. I've watched that episode many times :lol:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Though I'll be honest and say I could barely comprehend from your post what had actually transpired.

Singers' attitudes can often be quite prima donna-esque. Good singers need the ability to be emotive on tap, but often they just end up being emotional and self-absorbed. If it makes you feel any better I try to level out the attitudes of any such students I get through my doors.

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1355507853' post='1899474']

It depends whether it is an originals or covers band. If covers, then yea, definitely learn before rehearsal, but I would argue that if it is an originals band then learning/writing songs at practice is good.
[/quote]

Agree but I would class that as a writing session not a rehearsal. Very different.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1355479128' post='1898823']
Pretty much par for the course for bands- there will always be an element that doesnt pull their weight in any band or business or football team or whatever. I think the problem is not nipping this in the bud at the first opportunity- then you dont have the backbiting etc and everyone knows where they stand.

Mind you some people are simply thick and dont understand what they should be doing and have no understanding of what other people do that is above and beyond the call of duty. Been there- done that.
[/quote]

Agree - good post!

Yeah that OP is totally illegible.

So you got sacked because you humped all their gear around and had to take a taxi to gigs?

Anyway, whatever's transpired, I'm very sorry to hear about it. It's always a pain in the arse when you've spent a lot of time and effort into trying to make a band work and then it all just ends.

Hope there's better news for you soon mate!

Alex

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1355510844' post='1899536']
Since no one else is having a bash I'll take a guess at:

TheYoung Ones
Bacon Sandwich
Bambi goes crazy ape bonkers with his drill and sex
Scumbag College

and so on. I've watched that episode many times :lol:
[/quote]

Not "Ade Edmundson & The Bad Shepherds"? Bugger! Just as I was re-aligning my thoughts that he seemed like a good guy too! Back to square one.