Why become a member? ×

Paul Mcartney bass lines...

bubinga5

i have to be honest im not into the Beates but i did once hear a bass line from Mcartney.. cant remember what track it was was.. but i remember thinking it reminded me of Jamerson and also remember thinking it was amazing..... anyways, could you guys post some great mcartney bass lines..

One of my favourites is the wonderful fuzz bass part on "Think for Yourself" from "Rubber Soul"

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRyrhYoUoo&feature=fvst[/media]

This also happens to be one of the first bass lines I ever learned, playing it through an old Jen fuzz box that plugged into the bass.

I'm not a big Beatles fan, but listening to this again now makes me realise just what a huge influence this track was on me & my playing style.

Edited by RhysP

Have a listen to 'Yes it is' for a bassline that doesn't do the usual stuff. Also +1 to 'Something'.
Singing and playing the bass line to 'With a Little Help from my Friends' is good fun too.
Come to think of it, part of the fun of McCartney's lines in general is the singing and playing at the same time, always makes me smile.

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1354959200' post='1892313']
Have a listen to 'Yes it is' for a bassline that doesn't do the usual stuff. Also +1 to 'Something'.
Singing and playing the bass line to 'With a Little Help from my Friends' is good fun too.
Come to think of it, part of the fun of McCartney's lines in general is the singing and playing at the same time, always makes me smile.
[/quote]

Apparently he used to simplify his baselines when performing live with vocals.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1354919108' post='1892131']
i remember thinking it reminded me of Jamerson
[/quote]

McCartney was very much influenced by Jamerson. He introduces the songs on the CD that acompanies
the tribute book about Jamerson, called "Standing in the Shadows of Motown".

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1354961444' post='1892333']
McCartney was very much influenced by Jamerson. He introduces the songs on the CD that acompanies
[/quote] the dvd is great.. meshel ndegeocello is on it as well as the greats that made up that killer band..

[media]http://youtu.be/D88ooa05TF0[/media]

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1354960343' post='1892326']
Apparently he used to simplify his baselines when performing live with vocals.
[/quote]

this one sounds pretty much as per the studio :D

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1354961444' post='1892333']
[/quote]

Definitely, especially in Got To Get You Into My Life.

To me, McCartney got me into bass and learning his style and technique is something everyone could benefit from.

I've got this book about his bass playing. It's pretty good.
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-McCartney-Bassmaster-%2522Beatles%2522-Basslines/dp/0879308842/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354974915&sr=1-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paul-McCartney-Bassmaster-%2522Beatles%2522-Basslines/dp/0879308842/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354974915&sr=1-1[/url]

'Might not be too late to get it on your letter to Santa.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the show!

I've seen them twice, coincidentally during their 20th and 30th year anniversary tours. Not sure what they're up to by now (34? 35?) but it's pretty impressive that a tribute band can outlast the originals by about three times.

Possibly because, until Macca started playing loads of Beatles stuff fairly recently, it was the only way to hear those song performed live. Even The Beatles themselves didn't perform most of their best work live.