Why become a member? ×

Which artists would never be the same without their original bass player ?

Black Coffee

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1354744306' post='1890008']
I always thought not, but I just learned that Robbie Shakespeare played on some of Catch a Fire.

Yeah he did, he was a student of Aston Barrett.

I don't think they did get away with it though. They stopped being The Who (for me anyway) when K. Moon died.
[/quote]

Most bassists are replacable except the ones who front the band but no bands would be 'the same' without their original bass player. The Smiths do fall into this category IMO - the contribution of Rourke/Joyce as a rhythm section is understated. Over time (as original bands from my era have split and reformed) I've come to realise that Joe Public really doesn't care that much who is backing the singer...!!

[quote name='markorbit' timestamp='1354925352' post='1892185']
... Over time (as original bands from my era have split and reformed) I've come to realise that Joe Public really doesn't care that much who is backing the singer...!!
[/quote]

Perhaps. But the question was raised on BC, and we're not quite in the same musical demographic as Mr Joe Public (fortunately) :)

[quote name='12stringbassist' timestamp='1355052203' post='1893298']
Pino Palladino is not the bassist for The Who. I don't know who IS, but getting a mate
in to do the job of one of the best bassists of all time is frankly a joke.

AS far as The Who are concerned, I've gone from passes to staying at home.
[/quote]

Which one was it that you were referring to as one of the best bassists of all time?

CB

Interesting posts guys.

Anybody consider The Police without Sting. . . ?

I can't believe I didn't include Lemmy in my opening post. Only one of my favourites . . . .

Totally unique voice, style and that overdriven 4003 Ric pickup. Not saying Motorhead or Lemmy are the best at anything because there are too many variables to consider, but would it be fair to say that Motorhead simply wouldn't be Motorhead without him?
I saw the posts about PL and Thin Lizzy, I love Thin Lizzy and deliberately have stayed away from recent gigs because it's just not gonna be the same without that Lynott voice and stage presence. I'd do the same with Motorhead.

As for Metallica, I was a fan of Jason but I can't help but wondering what might have been if Cliff has been still around. I saw them on Death Magnetic tour and they are really really good live, but can't help thinking they lost their way in full albums of quality songs after CB. Big loss, still reverberating.

Edited by bassman344