Why become a member? ×

Bass player by choice, or relegated guitarist?

Tuono

Choice!
My organ teacher in college was preoccupied with that I should not only listen to organ records, but also to other music. Made me realise that I had never, ever willingly bought a record with organ music.
Had dozens and dozens of bass guitar records though! :lol:

I love music and love almost every instrument on the face of the earth. Within reason. However, you can't love them all and be good at playing all of them as well, so initially I opted for the organ.

Saw my "error" last year, after 48 years that is, and I'm now in the process of selling every last bit of keyboard related stuff and exchanging it with bass gear. :) Enjoying it very much upto now.

Do own a guitar, and like to pluck on it, but find everything is wrong on it. Narrow, thin ... everything.
Great for slicing me boiled eggs though!

best,
bert

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354197503' post='1883418']
I can't understand why any musician would want to limit themselves to a single instrument.
[/quote]

The Bass Guitar is the only instrument that truly appeals to me. I absolutely love guitars and the sound they can put out, but for me to play and delve into - bass all the way.
Before knowing that Bass Guitars even existed i always wondered what was doing that "mood shift" in the songs, even when the main melody was the same... hard to describe. And i just tended to play bass parts with every instrument i picked up, i would make a lousy melody player.

I had the pleasure of working with Steve Lawson (amazing 6 string Modulus player and MB endorsee) on the MarkBass stand at the recent Mansons Guitar show. During questions after his workshop he was asked, "if you need six strings why play bass, not guitar?", to which he answered "why would I want to play a toy guitar when I can have the real thing!"

A fair point which can be applied to any number of strings, but oh to be that good! well said Steve!

[quote name='MoJoKe' timestamp='1354270050' post='1884227']
I had the pleasure of working with Steve Lawson (amazing 6 string Modulus player and MB endorsee) on the MarkBass stand at the recent Mansons Guitar show. During questions after his workshop he was asked, "if you need six strings why play bass, not guitar?", to which he answered "why would I want to play a toy guitar when I can have the real thing!"

A fair point which can be applied to any number of strings, but oh to be that good! well said Steve!
[/quote]

Comments like that (even if it's said in jest) say to me that he's not really developed as a musician. I don't get this animosity towards players of other instruments. It smacks of insecurity on the part of person making the comment. A good band should be far greater than the sum of its parts , and all the musicians in the band should be working together to make sure they achieve that. Every single musician in my band is equally important both musically and socially to the band, and that's exactly how a good band should be.

Sure there are guitarists around well worth of the "guitard" label, but there are people like that playing every instrument including bass. As I have said before the trick is not to be in bands with them. That way they'll either wise up and become proper worthwhile musicians, or they'll end up reduced to their fantasy YouTube video world where they can't do any real harm.

I started off with the drums (had lessons for a couple of years) and was inspired by the mighty Phil Gould (Level 42), as well as his more famous colleague Mark King. As I gradually fell out of love with the drums, I became more and more drawn toward the bass guitar and big fat bass grooves in general. I put off buying a bass for a number of years though, because when I was a toddler, I badly burned 3 of my fingers on my left hand, and the resulting skin grafts left me with restricted "span", so I thought I'd never be able to master the bass. It wasn't until I turned 18 and left home for college, (in glamourous Basingstoke) hooked up with a couple of musical dudes, one of whom had a P-bass. I tried it out and realised that not only could I play the thing, I blimmin loved it too, and promptly went out to the local music emporium and purchased a Sunn Mustang package deal. I then spent the next 2 years glued to this plank, my studies suffered and I've never looked back. Never fancied the guitar though, too much gurning involved... :D

Started off with Piano and moved to Violin and worked up to grade 3. Then Marimba, Bass guitar and Tuba. These three instruments are really where it's at for me harmonically. I probably could play guitar and obviously I can play Trumpet or any other three valved brass instrument, but they don't feel right. When I listen to a recording I'm always interested in what the Bass and Drum interaction is, before the melody.

Maybe its beauty is in its simplicity/compexity. Sometimes just a single note will do, sometimes it needs a strong groove.

Someone once wrote on here that their guitarist had played bass on one song and remarked that bass was a lot harder because you can never stop playing during a tune. He was right to a point.

Maybe it's just the way we are?

I was originaly a guitarist then about 7/8 years ago I was talking to a mate about doing something acoustic together, he promptly hands me his hohner P copy and said 'do you want to play bass'. I thought, in for a penny in for pound i'll give it a go. With in 2 weeks the duo became a trio, 1 acoustic guitar, 1 hybrid guitar and me on bass. I LOVE it, I've learnt so much more about music, I have lessons, I study, I practice just about everyday. Hell I'm even having a crack at Teen Town. I've never looked back since taking up the bass and feel I've improved soooo much. My band mates have even accused me of turning into a musicain and I've been called far worse in my time :).