Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Lord Sausage' timestamp='1351857438' post='1856194']
started on it today, i have the first half idea, the second half written and drums done but it's prob gonna take all month hope i can get it done before the deadline. Sorry if this is ignorant and in another part of the thread, but when is the deadline?
[/quote]

7 days before end of month :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1351860807' post='1856274']
So posted by Midnight on November 23rd?
[/quote]

Generally, yes. Although late entries can be added people can't change their votes so you're missing out on voting time if you are late.

I've got the bones of an idea...been humming a melody over the weekend which is usually a good sign...but probably won't get round to recording anything until the last minute, as is typical of me.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone comes up with. I think it's going to be a particularly eclectic month!

Haha! Yeah I know what you mean. I did think about doing a mashup of the Jim'll Fix It and Scooby Doo themes (the bassline of the latter is fairly funky) but I think it'd breach the terms of the challenge...copyright and all that.

Still doesn't stop them being stuck in my head!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1352051623' post='1858189']
Well, here goes :)

[url="http://soundcloud.com/blademan_98/emotional-death"]http://soundcloud.co...emotional-death[/url]

I found the photos really sad so an emo track has sprung up!
(Sorry about the vocal :( )
Hope you like it lol
[/quote]

Dark and mellow, I like it! Your vocal actually fits the track well… it's like beat poetry, kinda psychedelic and dreamlike.

The production sounds good thru my headphones too. Nice use of panning and everything seems well balanced. I really like the fact it has no percussion at all, relying on the bass to give it momentum. Not something I've ever tried myself, but in this case it works great.

Anyway, well done for being the trailblazer this month! You've got us off to a good start :)

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1352083006' post='1858568']
Dark and mellow, I like it! Your vocal actually fits the track well… it's like beat poetry, kinda psychedelic and dreamlike.

The production sounds good thru my headphones too. Nice use of panning and everything seems well balanced. I really like the fact it has no percussion at all, relying on the bass to give it momentum. Not something I've ever tried myself, but in this case it works great.

Anyway, well done for being the trailblazer this month! You've got us off to a good start :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that :)
I did put a drum track on it but it sounded 'wrong' so I dumped it from the final mix.
I'm looking forward to the rest of the entries (I am expecting many!).
Cheers

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1352096624' post='1858578']I did put a drum track on it but it sounded 'wrong' so I dumped it from the final mix.[/quote]

Brave move but it's worked. I'm always a stickler for not being able to cut out sections I've worked on, even if they don't always fit. Something I need to learn!

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1352113852' post='1858771']im going to start working on mine tonight, need to get some nice guitar tones[/quote]

Yeah, I'm thinking mine's going to need some guitar lines too. Trouble is I can barely play those tiny, 6-string bass replica thingies so I'm going to need to keep it nice and simple. Trying to learn some chords at the moment before I start recording anything...

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1352118896' post='1858867']
Brave move but it's worked. I'm always a stickler for not being able to cut out sections I've worked on, even if they don't always fit. Something I need to learn!

Yeah, I'm thinking mine's going to need some guitar lines too. Trouble is I can barely play those tiny, 6-string bass replica thingies so I'm going to need to keep it nice and simple. Trying to learn some chords at the moment before I start recording anything...
[/quote]

i use powerchords mainly, or my own variation of a chord lol

i'm brewing an idea in my head, but it always comes out metal.... grrr

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1352252272' post='1860826']
Done most of mine i think but not too sure if I will be banned for life, think im fine but no one will tell anyway will they :yarr:[/quote]

Now [i]that[/i] sounds like something I want to hear! Looking forward to it.

I'm still plodding on with my effort. I've decided to structure it around a guitar line, which has opened a huge can of worms in that I've never really played guitar before.

Me: "It's just like a tiny six string bass, innit?"
Reality: "No!"

I'm currently learning some chords - the easy bit - and trying to get my head around progressing from one to the other with at least some degree of fluidity - the hard bit! :huh: Still, it's pushing me out of my comfort zone which is no bad thing...