Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1352849396' post='1868522']
Heh, that last post submitted itself before I'd finished it! I use my BX5as whenever I think I can get away with volume (I share a house with my bro and his misses and it's link detached which is a godsend). I also use a pair of Superlux heaphones which have a very similar response to my BX5as. I'll use my Tannoys as well to hear a hi-fi mix. I'll also use a pair of £18 AKG headphones on my Galaxy S2 (I used to use an iphone before I got that) and will occasionally listen in the car too. Every single speaker shows up something different.
[/quote]

Now were getting technical, I use my Eltax hifi system speakers and headphones, a cheap crappy pair and if it sound OK in those I call it a day. What I often find is you listen to a mix that much and it sounds right and your happy, then next day you have another listen and its way off. That does my head in :dash1:

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1352856122' post='1868580']
I listen to my own tracks constantly to try and iron out every last rogue frequency. I really should spend more time recording and playing than tweaking... [/quote]

Ditto! I spend way too long tweaking stuff and I'm almost convinced I end up back where I started at the end of it all, none the wiser.

As the saying goes, my mixes are never finished and always abandoned...

One thing I have learned is to get the best sounds tracked in the first place. I'm not far off finishing mine, and I have not really had to do much EQing, the sounds I tracked are already EQed to sit in a mix quite well, an advantage of using the POD X3 for a few years and always EQing my guitar and bass patches with music on I suppose.

I have to say, the entries so far are superb! Clearly loads of thought, skill, effort and imagination has gone into all of them. And you know what, the Recording forum suddenly seems to have a lot of posts and new topics in it :D Massive hat tip to charic for starting this composistion challenge, it's really got me into writing and recording my own music again and I'm having a blast :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352893707' post='1868863']
when's the closing date? is it the end of the month?
[/quote]

A week before month end, so next Friday 23rd I think is when the voting starts. Although charic is happy to add the odd latecomer's entry after voting starts.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352893707' post='1868863']
when's the closing date? is it the end of the month?[/quote]

I think we 'officially' have until midnight on the 23rd to get our entries in. Although latecomers are normally welcome as Nige said above (just means you have less time to rack up votes).

^^ PS Nige: nice tip on helping to set up the mix while recording, rather than leaving it all until afterwards. I always record bone dry with no processing, but I'm going to try your approach next time. Makes sense.

I believe the closing date is 7 days before mumph end.

As for mixing & monitoring, I used to have a set of Yamaha monitors & a Sennhesser cans, but now I mix through a set of Sony earbuds & then unplug them from the mac & use it's own speakers. If it still sounds good, then it does for me (I wouldn't sell it though).

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1352894522' post='1868881']
Just remember you can't remove effects that are recorded on ;)
[/quote]

Yeah, but I know what guitar, bass and keyboard sounds I want and have a clear idea of what I want the music to sound like. Recording dry adds a large extra level of work in the mix, I usually use reverb and compression and light eq if necessary at the mix stage. Most of the other stuff is all tracked.

I tend to record guitars clean but listening to the modded sound from Amplitube. I then have the original if I want to change a patch, but often render a version into the mix to save resources. Mind you the tat that leaves on the HDD and finding the bit I want to rework can sometimes be a trial - probably why I generally don't end up going back to change the render :unsure:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1352900795' post='1869053']
cheers... I seem to not be working this week so inbetween the job apps I may try and write the first thing in 4 years eek[/quote]

Go for it Luke! And anyone else who's interested, for that matter. There's still time to put something together. I've recorded mine and am now trying to make the mix sound ok... never as easy as I'd like it to be!

I should have something finished soon. The track is finished except for some vocal tweaks and the ending-like how do I end it?

Not sure what you guys will think but I'm pretty happy with it. Should be up by the weekend as I'll be travelling when voting starts..

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1352911278' post='1869313']
Awesome guys I cant wait to get my play room sorted soi can join in.
THis is fast becoming the best part of the site

A credit to all of you guys & Charic should always get a pat on the back for this !
[/quote]

:blush:

One of these days I'll get the time to post a proper entry :lol:

I should have a sound card coming today. When it comes, i'll be setting up my ashdown ABM 400 head (very early model) and running my guitar and bass through it into Garageband, and exporting to iTunes (easiest way to compress the audio. There is no compression other than for each track rather than the entire file) I might ad some vocals too. I'm not really a singer, but my brother left his microphone here yesterday (hehehe) and i've been messing about with it.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1352969562' post='1869825']
Audacity can compress the files and you can do basic editing in it too. And it's FREE!

Also REAPER :)
[/quote]

But i already have Garageband. I'm just learning the ropes on it. I just re-recorded a cover of an RHCP track, and i made 5 tracks for my bass so that it sounds fuller. Basically i lined them up- 1. Centre. 2.Hard right. 3. Hard left. 4. Between centre and hard right. 5. Between centre and hard left.

I've used audacity before... didn't really like it. iTunes gives plenty of compression options anyway. and Garageband records in AIF format... and it came pre-installed on my laptop! wow!