Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Added Twist

charic

I have finshed the backing track and now only need to add some lead and a little bit of rhythm guitar and I am done.

I have an issue that I would value your collective thoughts on. My 'process' for composing has been to map the piece out using Sibelius and the create Midi file which I then used as a skeleton for a Cubase audio/midi mix (this methods allows me to get a decent feel in the drum part without having to programme every nuance into a Midi file 'longhand'). When I wrote it in Sibelius, which took several hours over a few days, it was less than 5 minutes long (only a few seconds or so). When I transferred it to Cubase, I realised that the piece worked a [i]lot[/i] better if I slowed it down. So the new, better version (70 bpm instead of 100) is now six minutes long which takes it outside of the time stated in the 'brief'. My options are to fade it early (which is a pisser because I love the ending) or to cut out one section and join the two remaining bits which is an editing nightmare because the ends of the bars in question are subtley different and would require time to 'tweak' that I haven't really got.

So my question is, given the circumstances outlined, can I get away with a 6 minute tune?

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1352299652' post='1861245']...can I get away with a 6 minute tune?[/quote]

I personally have no problem at all with you submitting a 6 minute track, Bilbo. I obviously can't speak for everyone but it seems fair and square given the circumstances you mention. Plus, 5 minutes... 6 minutes... it's no big deal really. I'm pretty sure the 5 minute rule is only in place to deter people submitting 60 minute opuses (opusi? whatever).

Probably best to hear from Charic with the final word, etc.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1352299652' post='1861245']
So my question is, given the circumstances outlined, can I get away with a 6 minute tune?
[/quote]

The limitation is on so that should we wish to after of a years of these we can do some "winners tracks" cd's :)

12 * 6 minutes = 72min (should JUST fit on the cd still) :) so go for it

Can't help but think that the time constraints have been imposed for a reason. To get people to listen to your whole track. There was at least one complaint last month that it took too long to listen to everyone's entries.

Also it's one of the rules of the competition in the same way that it should be inspired by both pictures. A good composer is able to work within the constraints that they are given.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1352303524' post='1861323']
The limitation is on so that should we wish to after of a years of these we can do some "winners tracks" cd's :)[/quote]

Nice idea! Could be a potential fundrai$er for the forum.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1352304625' post='1861351']Can't help but think that the time constraints have been imposed for a reason. To get people to listen to your whole track. There was at least one complaint last month that it took too long to listen to everyone's entries.[/quote]

Fair point. As Bilbo says, people can choose not to listen to each track in its entirety if they're pushed for time. As we're only taking 6 minutes - and not, say 10 - I don't feel it's such an issue in this case, but that's just me.

Dont have a problem with 6 mins but i wish you had said earlier, as I thought it was 4 mins and did 5 mins and had to chop it. I lose concentration easily so 4 or 6 I wouldn't notice, if its a good tune i would just get into it anyway, if its not so good I would blank out and shake, sweat and halucinate until it stopped, so would have no idea of time, who I was or where I was anyway.

I am hoping that there good! :gas:

Only joking I'll lay money on them being great, b...trds I want a custom bass :D

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1352311566' post='1861499']...if its not so good I would blank out and shake, sweat and halucinate until it stopped, so would have no idea of time, who I was or where I was anyway[/quote]

^ I'll have what he's having... :)

PS: I already have a custom bass. It's been customised by me and it's...err... quite unique! Duct tape holding together a split in the horn of the body (botched installation of straplocks); solder burns on the back (botched repair of battery connector); and a wobbly volume pot (botched ability to hold things without dropping them).

£5000 ONO sound about right? It's got the 'distressed look', which I hear is popular these days.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1352312019' post='1861509']I think one month we should have a "speed round" where we all have to try and compose a piece in a single day :lol:[/quote]

I'd be up for that! Or maybe a surprise 'weekend challenge'.

6 minutes for a song! It better be good. I usually get bored after 30 seconds. :P

Only kidding. I'm not bothered how long a song is (some of my faves go on well in excess of 10 mins).

I've got mine sorted out in my head, but can't get started until the weekend at the earliest. I'm gonna have to try & make the acoustic sound like an electrik geetah for what I want to do.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1352316362' post='1861603']
I took my first idea and then threw it away... My new one has lyrics and melody and chord progresson so i just need to bulk it out
[/quote]

F..k its a real song

Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :angry:

Start all over again :blink:

Edited by Stephen Houghton

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1352317128' post='1861622']
F..k its a real song

Nnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :angry:

Start all over again :blink:
[/quote]

Don't worry. It's not got any drums, bass, solo, etc. :crazy: