Why become a member? ×

Do you store your gear...

Evil Undead

Anywhere other than your home?

Reason I ask this is because I have a lot of trouble carrying my cab up the stairs to my flat (2nd floor, no lift) and my singer has kindly offered to store my cab in his outhouse and bring it to practice and gigs.

I trust him, I've known him for about 3 years and he's a thoroughly decent guy, but I guess I'm just nervous about having upwards of £500's worth of lovely Markbass cab stored somewhere where I can't see it.

Any thoughts?

Oh, I should mention that I never use the cab at home so I don't really need it to be stored at my house, so logistically it's much easier for me to take him up on his offer.

When I had a Marshall 412 I kept it in the boot of my car. I figured, at 50kg, even if someone broke into the car, unless they had a vehicle, they wouldn`t be able to steal it as it was too big/heavy.

What I`d say here Mel, is get yourself - if you haven`t already - a Roqsolid cover for the cab, and before you agree, make sure the outhouse isn`t too damp. Other than that, snap his hand off.

The word "outhouse" is ringing alarm bells. That suggests it's outside and probably not heated. Not a good idea. My mate in the UK kept his Hotrod in an outside building and had to have loads of repair work done eventually due to severe temperature fluctuations.

On top of that, it depends on what your guitarist's property security is like. It's not likely to be insured at someone else's property.

Sounds like a great compromise - as the others have said make sure it's not damp or everything will go rusty and the cones will go plampy (technical term :))
Make sure he's got a good lock on the door as well. The other option might be storing it where you rehearse - if it's a studio they'll usually look after it for you if you're a regular.
Or (making it up as I go) Why don't you get a cheaper cab (peavey 4x10 / 2x10 are dirt cheap these days) and just use that for rehearsals and store that in the outhouse; use your good cab for gigs?

+1 to all the concerns expressed above.

I would never store my gear in unheated buildings; ie sheds garages and outbuildings.

If I was in your position I'd sell my 410 and get 2 MB Standard 102HF cabs. I know 2 players who have these cabs and an LM3 and they both get a fantastic sound.

[size=3]If you have to use your mates space, put the cab on 2 2x4 pieces of wood, to get it off the floor, get a proper cover and cover all of this with plastic sheet[/size]

Yeah if it's unheated I wouldn't risk it. It's an expensive cab!!

Ask your friend if he wouldn't mind leaving it indoors?

Also, I realise that weights an issue for you, so why not buy a cheapy Peavey or something and have the guitarist lug that around for you and leave it in the outhouse? That way you're not gonna risk damaging hundreds of pounds worth of expensive gear!

Truckstop

May I ask, why would it matter if the outhouse is unheated?

I think he stores all his gear there, PA speakers etc, and doesn't have a problem. I'm also not sure what he means exactly by outhouse (my parents refer to their utility room as the outhouse which is indoors).

But, it may be a wiser idea to trade down to a cheaper cab, as I checked with my insurers and it's not covered when stored at his place.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1351777504' post='1855231']
I am feeling very lucky as I have never stored my gear anywhere other than garages or outside (speaker cabs in flight cases) and never had any issue with anything at all - that's in 35+ years.

Not to say there's no chance of any problem but it simply hasn't been my experience.
[/quote]

My experience is similar. But I've always covered things, even if it's only been an old dust sheet and make sure things aren't standing directly on the floor.

There's nothing wrong with keeping stuff somewhere other than a centrally heated modern house. So long as it's done with some common sense.

So long as the roof doesn't leak and it's not got mould or damp, the temperature won't matter too much. What might do some harm is taking it from cold to warm and back to cold again in one evening. That's the route to water condensing on the cold metal in the warm then later being taken back to the cold and not evaporating. Or simply just having warm moist air from a bar or club inside the cab which then goes cold and unloads the moisture into the nearest absorbent material - the speaker cone. The trick would be to put some bags of silica gel inside the cabs. And yeah, raising it off the floor, where the coldest air and the biggest water "droplets" live.

And these would help. [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kontrol-Krystals-Unscented-Streamline-Moisture-Dehumidifier-Trap-/181011918840?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item2a2526aff8"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a2526aff8[/url] I keep some dotted around our garage and they do make a difference.

Edited by bigjohn

The main issue with unheated outhouses/garages/whatever is that when you bring your gear in, water can condense inside the cab and cause a damp problem on the speakers or the cab itself duing periods of high temperature fluctuations. I've once picked up some PA cabs and the speaker cones were covered with frost!

It can be combatted by using packets of silica gel inside the cab, covering the cab with heavy fabrics and raising it off the floor.

Truckstop

My Hiwatt head & cab were kept in a leaky lock-up for almost 18 years constant. The amp chassis was rusty as hell when I bought it - and others who bought cabs at the same auction report bird & mouse nests found in them.
The first year at this address I kept the amp over-winter in the (concrete) garage, in an SKB case, wrapped inside a box made of loft-insulation and that was wrapped inside a duvet I bought specifically for it.
Before I put it away I placed one of those anti-damp tray gadgets in it which is filled with a silica type crystal; when it took it out in the spring the tray was [i]still[/i] full of water.
The amp & cab are kept permanently indoors now - how the heck the speakers lasted 18 years in those conditions I do not know.

Even in winter, daytime heating & night time cooling plus body heat from people using the out-building can cause condensation on metal surfaces which will introduce water near the cones; personally I wouldn't risk it, or if I did I'd do as I did with the cab - and get a bigger tray of crystals.

I ask this, not to start a row but becasue I genuinely don't know - what about car stereo speakers? I mean, they are subject to all the same forces that we are talking about but I don't bring those in every night. Are they different?

Damp is a funny thing. As long as the garage is well built and the roof doesn't leak then the humidity is likely to be less than inside a house, because warm air can hold a lot more moisture than cold air.

As noted above, condensation might be an issue when moving cold items into a warm, humid, environment.

Most electronic equipment specifications will have operating and storage temperature ranges somewhere in their manuals. Storage conditions are usually fairly extreme. Not sure about cabs but worth checking.

I try to keep as much as my kit at home in my recording room, but I don't have much space in there. A couple of my cabs and all of my guitar kit is securely stored at a friends studio. Its a pain in the backside having to drive over there if I need something, but he doesn't charge me for storage (which is sweet) and it keeps the misus off my back (even sweeter)

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1351785291' post='1855380']
My Hiwatt head & cab were kept in a leaky lock-up for almost 18 years constant. The amp chassis was rusty as hell when I bought it - and others who bought cabs at the same auction report bird & mouse nests found in them.
[/quote]
Mice can do a lot of damage inside a speaker cab! :huh:

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1351786412' post='1855403']
Damp is a funny thing. As long as the garage is well built and the roof doesn't leak then the humidity is likely to be less than inside a house, because warm air can hold a lot more moisture than cold air.[/quote]

Uninhabited buildings tend to be drier as there isn't anyone exhaling humid air.