Why become a member? ×

Do You Play Your Bass Between Gigs?

Pete Academy

Always playing even when not gigging. Gotta keep my hands in shape. Maybe it's learning a song, maybe it's mechanics (hand workouts) but whatever it is I always make it relevant and as interesting as I can otherwise I'm likely to get sidetracked.
I find sometimes it's best to do something else first and THEN practise as the mood takes me. Usually inspiration comes along 2 - 3 hours after waking, which explains why it always hits at work and diminishes come home time. :-/
But days not working always involve a lot of playing.

That being said, two years ago I barely touched it at all other than gigs and rehearsals...Biggest mistake I ever made!

I went through a period where I was only playing when I had a gig, which meant I sometimes didn't pick a bass up for a month at a time. Partly due to personal problems though. I'm well and truly back into the swing of things now :)

At the moment, i always make sure I have a bass out of it's bag and in plain view so that there's no effort involved if I feel like messing around on it. Seems to be working well so far :) I rarely go a day without at least playing a note on it.

I find bass a truley dull instrument to play solo. I know there's some people out there that make good music on a solo bass but I just don't enjoy it so no, I don't practice between gigs/band practices.

In a band though there's nothing like it. Sitting in the groove and being the link between all the instruments in a band is what gives me my passion.

I play every day. I've got basses in my living room and the bedroom. I've also got basses at my parents' house, my btother's house, and at various friends' houses and studios.

The only time I've not played on any particular day is I've been away from home with work, or on holiday. Saying that, I've been known to end up buying another bass while I'm away as I miss playing so much!!

I've done this almost every day since I was about 15, and I'm now 48.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1351545642' post='1852527']
. I sell basses for my day job, so that doesn't help.
[/quote]

If you do it in a shop, surely that means you have to play a few bars of random slap everytime someone show an interest in one?

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1351547123' post='1852553']
Christ, I'd never manage with the crazy riffs my guitarist sends me if I didnt practise everyday!

As I've mentioned in another thread, I remember Gary Moore saying If you walk into a room where you keep your guitar and not feel the need to pick it up, then maybe it's not for you.
[/quote]

I think Mr. Moore just identified why I play bass...;)
But, as I don't gig, I can play as and when I want. Which is the way it should be for something which is, for me, a leisure activity.
It's interesting to note that some people have cited the way in which their work impacts upon their leisure activities:
If you do something a lot at work, you are (a lot) less inclined to do it in your spare time.
I work with large numbers of the public, and when I get home, I'm all peopled out. Gigging/being in a band would just involve MORE people, and I just don't want to engage in all that.

I don't gig, but as I play several instruments I pretty much pick up something every day to play. I think I'd still noodle around on bass even if I was gigging as to me music is the 'my thing' that is relaxation after a day in the office and a 32 mile drive home in rush hour.

Re: Gary Moore. I'd imagine that he was just throwing out an off-the-cuff soundbyte rather than Chapter 1 of the Gospel according to Gary, so I don't think it needs to be treated so seriously!

I play most days. however up until I joined my punk covers band, The Daves, I only used to play at gigs, as the band I was with weren`t particularly good, so I adopted the attitude of why bother. Once I was in Dave-Land though, I knew I had to up my game, and, playing all my fave songs from when I was a kid, I re-found my love for the bass, so now rarely a day goes by when I don`t play. I had a wrist injury earlier this year, and couldn`t play for a month - torture!

I practice every day. Usually this consists of a little theory, reading practice, playing along for fun to some music, and generally working on my weaker points.

I love playing the bass. Granted, I get more of a buzz when I play live, but generally I simply love the learning process,
a journey which never ends.

Everyday is full of dilemmas. Do I practice electric bass or double bass? Do I practice bass or guitar? Do I practise reading or improvising? Scales or songs? Do I work on playing or composing? Or composing or recording? Do I play music or do I do some more writing/research for my next book? Am I allowed to do any of this or do I have to mow the lawn/do laundry/cook tea etc? How I ever make any progress in any of these endeavours is beyond me. But I do improve, incrementally, and do get things done eventually. And, overall, although I do so incessantly, I shouldn't complain.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1351545642' post='1852527']
I do about two gigs a month. However, I find I can't be arsed to play my bass between gigs. I sell basses for my day job, so that doesn't help.

Anyone else have this problem?
[/quote]

I play more gigs than that , never pick up a bass between gigs - personally I don't find it a problem. It's a long time since I found any pleasure in playing bass by itself so around the house I'd rather strum my Ovation and sing a bit - though I don't do that very often either !

On top of that my hands are always a mess from kitchen accidents , messing with my boat engine , DIY jobs etc etc and my fingers are often sore from cuts and nicks. I never notice it at gigs - adrenaline I guess - but it hurts at home.

I regularly pick up one of my basses and play for a little while, not necessarily a particular riff or bassline or exercise. Just to keep musical focus between practices and gigs. I practice in a slightly more structured manner if i'm trying to learn a new song, or coming up with a line for an original

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1351593944' post='1852941']
All of my playing outside of band rehearsals and gigs is for songwriting - either working out ideas for songs or refining a particular part that I've come up with in my head but my fingers haven't yet learnt how to do.
[/quote]
That's pretty much me too. I can't imagine practising bass scales and arpeggios or anything any more. It bores the hell out of me unless it's necessary to develop the skills to perform something. In that case I know how to practice to bust through the blockage and enjoy doing it.