Why become a member? ×

Strap life

M-Bass-M

How long do your bass straps usually last?

I ask because the strap I currently use is getting dangerously frayed around the holes, meaning that a new one is required, yet I've had it for less than two years I think. Just feels a bit of a short life to me....

I have a black strap that came free with a guitar back in about 1989. it was my only strap up until about 2 years ago when i fancied a rainbow one. Now I have 4 rainbow straps, and that black one. The black one did 2o something years as my only strap, being chucked from guitar to guitar night after night.
Still fine, and still gracing my SG/telecaster/ibanez depending on which guitar I'm playing as my main one that night. And it's one of those cheap sh*tty webbing ones too.
:)

I really like the crappy thin Ernie Ball straps. I've had 3 in my life and they're all still going strong. I think mainly because I use Grolsch bottle seals as strap locks which pretty much stops all movement.

2 years does seem a little rubbish though. Bin it and get a Levys one; everyone seems to use them!

Truckstop

I have at least one if not two Comfort straps that have lasted years the only problem being their skankiness as I am a bit of a sweaty bugger when gigging :unsure:

[EDIT] I have a couple of Mono straps and they seem OK, mind they are only a little over a year old

Edited by WalMan

Regarding damage to the holes in the strap, two sets of these came with my Warwick RB Corvettes and they're pretty clever. The item on the left came already installed on my basses; the rest of the device goes on the strap and protects its holes, and the system is secure in that you can only unlock the strap by pushing in the button on the right of this photo.

(Photo taken from [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_security_straplocks_bk.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/warwick_security_straplocks_bk.htm[/url])

I'm looking for a new strap myself, I need one that's pretty wide to help with my creaking back (im only 21 and already suffering with a bad back!). This thread has been really useful and I will go for a levy.

Where it beat to buy a levy strap? Also how wide can you buy them?

[quote name='jaydentaku' timestamp='1351261044' post='1849399']
I have some from the Lower Palaeolithic Age
[/quote]
Alright, then. Like Spike, my main strap is not quite that old, but it was used when I got it with another instrument in 1978. Yes, that's right: same strap for going on thirty-five years. I use it with standard strap buttons, no strap locks.

Edited by iiipopes

The only strap I've ever had a problem with was a Levys clear one.It looked cool,but it was some kind of plastic-y
material and it split around the strap lock. All my other straps-Levys (leather and webbing),Comfort Strapp,Perris and
others-have been fine.No problems at all,both with and without straplocks.

I've never had a problem with a strap falling apart---but I tend to just put them on and leave them on.

I need a new strap, actually---any recommendations? I want something wide, and padded, but also fully adjustable (the ones that aren't fully adjustable never sit at the right height for me). The mono straps fit the bill but they're a bit ugly. I'd prefer something which was made of suede or leather but not hideously expensive either!

• 2 weeks later...

I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXTRA-LEATHER-GUITAR-STRAP-BLACK/dp/B004RT9Z7E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352478269&sr=8-2

Not had it very long, but it seems tough as old boots, and for the price, I can't fault it. I believe the seller does a range of sizes, I just went for the extra-long because wearing an Ibby Iceman up in your armpit seems wrong somehow. :P

I think you should change your strap quite often simply down to hygiene more than anything else. For example...imagine how much of your body sweat has been absorbed by a leather strap that you have used around your back and shoulders for years on end? Yuck!!! :unsure: