Why become a member? ×

Video - Awesome band, bassist and my God, the bass face!

wateroftyne

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1351207390' post='1848861']
Ok... I'm gonna be the first grumpy one. I wish he (the bass player) focused more on making each note sound right and not playing that many notes. And, by the way, I hate the bass tone. Don't like the drummer either.

I really like the guitarist and, specially, the keyboard player. :D
[/quote]

This guy makes every note count! It's his true way. It's his dharma. He is THE sh*t! Great band, all the focus is on music and happiness.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351207860' post='1848865']
This guy makes every note count! It's his true way. It's his dharma. He is THE sh*t! Great band, all the focus is on music and happiness.
[/quote]

Totally respect your opinion, but not to my ears. Specially when I can't even hear half of the notes coming through that mud.

But the vibe of the band is really cool indeed and I prefer them to pretty much every band I've seen live lately. I just didn't understand the fuss about the bass player. Maybe if he was a skinny white guy on the corner and not pulling any faces, no one would've noticed him.

Edited by eddiehoffmann

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1351207390' post='1848861']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]...Specially when I can't even hear half of the notes coming through that mud.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It just goes to show that you can't please everyone!

I think it's a shining example of a bass player wanting to fit in the mix, rather than punch through it or sit on top of it. I can hear all the notes just fine.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1351235710' post='1848944']
I think it's a shining example of a bass player wanting to fit in the mix, rather than punch through it or sit on top of it. I can hear all the notes just fine.
[/quote]
Same here. He is such a refreshing change. Totally at ease with what he's playing, great tone, great musicality. Not many people like him around.

Wow :) great band, great bass player...have to say I'm with wateroftyne and silddx on this. Great groove and feel and he has some moves!! May have to rip them off at my gig tonight although not sure a skinny white guy is going to look quite as good, ha ha! Best thing about these guys.....you can tell they're having fun and loving it! My biggest pet pieve about live bands, not looking as if they're enjoying themselves!!!!!!!

Outragously tight band! The horns and drums are so on it! Iove the organ and guitarist too. Bassist has a great vibe and theres lots of cool things happening in his playing. The overall time feel is so funky. Listen to how laid back the clapping that the guitarist does is.
I don't know the band but the club is the Iridum in NYC is a really small, cool jazz club. I bet it was an intense night! I would imagine the mark bass is the clubs house amp, but that's speculation.

In do undrrstand the comments about not leaving any space in the bassists solo but in the context of this tune I think he pulls it off. It's so hard to play that way and to keep building but he's such an engaging player I was with him.
Thanks for sharing.

Edited by geoffbassist

That was great! Even if it was a Beatles track! Reminds me of a band I saw at the Jazz cafe Camden, cant remember the girls first name, something Johnson and they were just like this. Really enjoyed that!

And yes, I could hear everything the bassist was doing to. He was just as a bass player should be, to my ears.

Dan

Great band and playing. I'm with Eddie in that I'm not a great fan of the tone, and would like a litlle less mud and a bit more mids. I think that band's arrangements are tight and sparse enough to have a significantly more "in-yer-face" bass tone without dominating too much. I would have enjoyed his playing even more then !
Of course it could have been largely the recording producing the mud and his real live tone may have sounded nothing like that.