Why become a member? ×

ACG 9 STRING

7string

Yup, incredibly excited doesn't really cover it ;) :P

I've got to admit that it's taken a certain amount of willpower to not send Alan an e-mail to see how it was coming along. One of the great advantages of being in Glasgow is that I'm only an hour or so away from Moffat.

The last time I saw the bass it was in the middle of being lacquered and it really did look amazing. Really looking forward to seeing it, playing the first notes and hearing what comes out.

I have a whole bunch of stuff to wade through as I'm getting used to playing it. Unfortunately, I still have Open University stuff to do as well but the thought of playing the 9 will speed me through the studying and essay writing.

It's going to be a long road ahead (and I don't just mean the dull expanse of the M74).

The first pictures.....

I'll get some more photos taken very soon.

I collected this bass from Alan at lunchtime and it is absolutely awesome.

The mahogany top has the great 'v' figuring and the bookmatched, acrylised, spalted maple fingerboard is amazing to look at and super-smooth to play. The 'v' shaped grain is also on the headstock and the black hardware completes the look.

This ERB is no lightweight at just under 12lbs, but it's still light compared to my 14lb Conklin GT7.

On the back is swamp ash, with a wenge plate accenting the body/neck join. The maple and wenge neck leads to a wenge backplate on the headstock, giving a different look from the front. Back on the front of the body are the controls for the ACG EQ-01 preamp, series/parallel switches for each pickup, low battery indicator and a selector between the bridge pickup and piezo elements in the bridge.

This ERB plays exceptionally well. The action is low and the low profile of the neck enhances the playing experience.

I've only really have the chance to dabble with the bass so far, but it's serious fun. 'Regular' bass lines sound really round and full and notes further up the scale have a timbre all of their own. It doesn't sound like an electric guitar because of the scale length.

Keep the debate for/against ERB's for another day, this is a beautifully sculptured ERB. The ingredients of design and materials have been blended to create something incredibly special indeed. Something unmistakably ACG.

Huge thanks go to Alan at ACG for fielding all my (sometimes very strange) ideas for this bass and for creating an amazing instrument.
Extended thanks also go to Larry at Gallery Hardwoods for supplying the woods and fingerboard for this project.

Edited by 7string

I forgot that we had a new light fitting in the hall that can turn the place into a mini Wembley ;)

These aren't the greatest pics, but hopefully they will give an idea of how great this ERB is!!

A great way to end a build diary :P

Edited by 7string

Oooof.

Every one of these threads makes me one step closer to picking up the phone and making a call to Moffat...

Congratulations. That's one fine looking bass! Don't know if I could handle that many strings though ;)

Edited by ~tl

Thanks for all the kind words about the bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='394811' date='Jan 29 2009, 06:55 PM']Wow!

And I was thinking how quickly this one came together compared with your Sei.[/quote]

From absolute beginning to end it was about the same. The consultation process which produced the spec was a lot longer as we had to decided on each part of the spec. As Sei basses have been honed over 15+ years, some of the spec is already set.

[quote name='~tl' post='394843' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:32 PM']Oooof.

Every one of these threads makes me one step closer to picking up the phone and making a call to Moffat...

Congratulations. That's one fine looking bass! Don't know if I could handle that many strings though ;)[/quote]

After this experience of ordering an ACG bass, I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them.

[quote name='Rodders' post='394854' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:42 PM']Thats is really nice

What's the neck radius and string spacing?[/quote]

The fingerboard is flat, so there is no radius. String spacing is tricky as the lower strings are so thick. I think the spacing is about 17mm.

Thanks everyone. Today I will mostly be trying to find my way around the 9's fretboard and controls...

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='394997' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:01 PM']christ it's as big as the door!

Looks kick ass though. congrats![/quote]

;) :P It's nearly as big as the door...

It fits in a regulation Hiscox case, so it's not overly-big. Alan had to customise the case by (ahem) "gently persuading" the foam neck cushion to be lower and flatter in shape.

[quote name='clauster' post='394965' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:30 PM']That is one beautiful bass. I so want an ACG (but with just the usual 4 strings lol)[/quote]

Have a look in the ACG part of Basschat in the "Affiliates" section. There's a whole load of great wood which Alan has in stock or arriving soon. We put the 9 up against a 4 and there is such a huge difference that it's just funny.

I'll still be playing my 4 strings though!!