Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are all basschatters in covers bands?

redstriper

It sometimes seems so and maybe that's why I always feel a bit different on here :unsure:

I know good covers bands are very popular and I respect them because it looks like hard work and they provide a lot of entertainment.
I also know there's good money to be made playing covers and people like to hear familiar tunes, but it's just not my scene.

I'm not comfortable playing any direct cover versions, although I do sometimes use established bass lines to create a new version of a tune.
This is an established tradition in reggae music where there are many songs and versions using the same bass line.

I'm not a purist in any way and I respect everyone's choice to play whatever they want.
I just wonder who else here is actively writing and recording new original material?

Edited by redstriper

After nearly twenty years of being in covers bands (with an 8 year break because I got fed up with playing tunes I despise) I've now been in an originals band for 3 1/2 years.

Enjoying myself much more. We do have a handful of "spun-up" covers (tunes that are done in a completely different style to the original- so that's alright then ;) ) and one or two straightforward covers for soundchecks and auditioning drummers (which seems to happen once or twice a year).

Spent twenty-odd years in originals bands, with the odd 'versioned' cover thrown in, then after a break came back into an originals band. Now play in the originals band, and in a couple of covers/functions band. The originals band also play some covers, mostly to get paying gigs.

I'm in a pub covers band - though they all have quite a 'spin' on them. The songs chosen are all our choice rather than what we need to play to get work.

I'm also in a trib band but that's gone very occassional by design. I love the music but I'm never that comfortable 'being' somone I'm not.

I have been in originals bands , done a fair bit of songwriting/ recording - and some gigging - as a solo performer too.

I make no excuse whatsoever for playing any of the music I've always loved playing.

T'would be interesting to see the splits of the 'both' voters - of which I'm one.

Four years ago my split would have been about 80/20 in favour of covers but we've been accumulating originals since then and I reckon we've easily reversed that to 80/20 in favour of originals, maybe a bit more.

What about a "Neither" option for people who, for whatever reason, don't play in bands?

For what it's worth when I was gigging I only played originals because I had (and still have) absolutely no interest whatsoever in learning other peoples songs.

I now do neither because I hate all the crap that goes with being in a band.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1350666040' post='1842083']
For what it's worth when I was gigging I only played originals because I had (and still have) absolutely no interest whatsoever in learning other peoples songs.

I now do neither because I hate all the crap that goes with being in a band.
[/quote]

Being in a band with (probably) a bunch of numpties who write lousy songs will do that to you...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350666696' post='1842097']
Being in a band with (probably) a bunch of numpties who write lousy songs will do that to you...
[/quote]

The songs were great, it's just that in 33 years I've never met a musician I can get on with.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1350663401' post='1842028']
It sometimes seems so and maybe that's why I always feel a bit different on here :unsure:
[/quote]
I know what you mean. It seems like a lot of people on here do play in covers bands.

I play original music that I write myself with a band I put together. Not really interested in playing covers.

My past couple of bands have been all originals with the odd cover thrown in, so I chose originals. Nothing against playing covers though.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1350664246' post='1842055']
Originals. A mix of folk, flamenco, country and blues, so not too many covers opportunities there then!!!!
[/quote]

You could do your own take on songs. That's what we did & it's pretty fun. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350665949' post='1842081']
'Different'...? Can you give an example?
[/quote]
Here's one:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189766-my-top-ten-most-played-songs-by-pub-function-covers-bands/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189766-my-top-ten-most-played-songs-by-pub-function-covers-bands/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1350669069' post='1842153']

Here's one:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189766-my-top-ten-most-played-songs-by-pub-function-covers-bands/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/189766-my-top-ten-most-played-songs-by-pub-function-covers-bands/page__fromsearch__1[/url]
[/quote]

That's a thread about covers versions, posted in by people who play in cover bands. Am I missing something?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1350669327' post='1842156']
That's a thread about covers versions, posted in by people who play in cover bands.
[/quote]

Exactly - there are many such posts, usually very popular, whereas there are very few posts about original music.

Unless I'm missing something :)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1350670144' post='1842173']

Exactly - there are many such posts, usually very popular, whereas there are very few posts about original music.

Unless I'm missing something :)
[/quote]

The reality is that cover bands gig more. So, there's more to talk about.

Got one band that is a function/covers band. Great money, fab gigs and good players. All gigs are through recommendation and we do about 80 gigs a year.

I am in another "project" that is originals where there are two of us who compose and play all the instruments. The aim is to find a bunch of musos that like it - give 'em the CD and put an originals band together (it'll never happen)