Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic BH250 - anyone tried one yet?

Gunsfreddy2003

Got mine last week and used it on Tuesday - great sounds, great build and the Tone Print function is awesome. I had to have the volume at just past 3'o'clock to cover our drummer so not sure that it would be up to the job of replacing my Mark Bass LMIII but then that is not really why I bought it! Will be good as an aid to rehearsing at home though with the aux in and headphones out sockets.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1351167194' post='1848131']
Got mine last week and used it on Tuesday - great sounds, great build and the Tone Print function is awesome. I had to have the volume at just past 3'o'clock to cover our drummer so not sure that it would be up to the job of replacing my Mark Bass LMIII but then that is not really why I bought it! Will be good as an aid to rehearsing at home though with the aux in and headphones out sockets.
[/quote]

What speakers did you hook up to and what was the total load (IE 1x12 8ohm) ? What kind of music?

I had a bit of a jam round at a m8s on sat night with mine. We tryed my friends Strat through the BH250 n RS112, boy dose this ever make a good sounding guitar rig. Tone prints and outboards worked realy well (Vibrato works very well with guitar). We were mainly playing Niervana covers.

Just into a single 1x12 8 ohm cab so I accept that it s not running at maximum power output but then again neither is the Mark Bass when I use that!

Playing funk/soul stuff.

Interesting that it sounds good with guitar!

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1351189927' post='1848524']

What speakers did you hook up to and what was the total load (IE 1x12 8ohm) ? What kind of music?

I had a bit of a jam round at a m8s on sat night with mine. We tryed my friends Strat through the BH250 n RS112, boy dose this ever make a good sounding guitar rig. Tone prints and outboards worked realy well (Vibrato works very well with guitar). We were mainly playing Niervana covers.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1351201252' post='1848754']
Just into a single 1x12 8 ohm cab so I accept that it s not running at maximum power output but then again neither is the Mark Bass when I use that!

Playing funk/soul stuff.

[/quote]

The MarkBass little Mark III dose have twice the power output as the BH250 though lol, bearing that in mind i would say that was a good resault !!
I would like to know how much louder it is with 2 1x12 cabs (im thinking of getting another RS112) Have you tryed ith through 2 yet ?
Did you get a foot switch to go with your BH250 ?

I will try it with two cabs to see but I have to say that when doing that with the Mark Bass it did not sound twice as loud if you know what I mean!

No I didn't bother with the footswitch as I will really only be using at home.

I wonder if TC Electronic will begin to put the Tone Print function on their bigger amps?

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1351202849' post='1848785']
The MarkBass little Mark III dose have twice the power output as the BH250 though lol, bearing that in mind i would say that was a good resault !!
I would like to know how much louder it is with 2 1x12 cabs (im thinking of getting another RS112) Have you tryed ith through 2 yet ?
Did you get a foot switch to go with your BH250 ?
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1351201252' post='1848754']
[/quote]
OT I have found that bass amps seem to make good guitar amps no matter what the brand. Both my Markbass/Schroeder rig and my Phil Jones Cub make great guitar amps. Back when I was playing the 6 string terror the best amp I ever had was a Fender 59 Bassman reissue (sounded pretty damned good with a bass through it too).

Back On Topic the TC stuff is rather making think about changing my rig, there is certainly something about it that appeals. I would point out that there is nothing wrong with my current rig, but you guys know what a cruel mistress GAS can be.

Edited by ezbass

GAS is the mother of all evils my friend!

If they started making bigger TC amps with the features of the BH250 then I would consider a rig change.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1351536296' post='1852345']

OT I have found that bass amps seem to make good guitar amps no matter what the brand. Both my Markbass/Schroeder rig and my Phil Jones Cub make great guitar amps. Back when I was playing the 6 string terror the best amp I ever had was a Fender 59 Bassman reissue (sounded pretty damned good with a bass through it too).

Back On Topic the TC stuff is rather making think about changing my rig, there is certainly something about it that appeals. I would point out that there is nothing wrong with my current rig, but you guys know what a cruel mistress GAS can be.
[/quote]

I keep bugging them about making a kick back 1x12 combo with a removable 500W head, with a matching 1x12 cab, or perhaps make it stack nicely with the RS112 cab...
Something a bit cheaper than the RH range, with a simpler front end, like the BH250 would be perfect, although I would prefer separate low and high mid controls.
I'd buy one in a hot minute!

Eude

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1351238266' post='1848973']
Any thoughts on a suitable cab, cabs for this head?

Currently using it with the Ashdown LB212, but considering selling that with the Little Bastard head, so would need a new cab.
[/quote]

I have the RS112, very lite, small footprint, nice tone (IMO) but not cheap! I am going to get another soon as funds are available.
Best thing to do is take your head and your bass and go and try a few different cabs. Just remember to keep sight of what the cab is to be used for. IE home practice and jaming with friends (thats what i use mine for) Band practice and gigs will need a bit more cone area. Hence my plan to get the second cab. If your only going to have one cab concider a 4 ohm cab.

[quote name='spaners' timestamp='1351626035' post='1853486']
I have the RS112, very lite, small footprint, nice tone (IMO) but not cheap! I am going to get another soon as funds are available.
Best thing to do is take your head and your bass and go and try a few different cabs. Just remember to keep sight of what the cab is to be used for. IE home practice and jaming with friends (thats what i use mine for) Band practice and gigs will need a bit more cone area. Hence my plan to get the second cab. If your only going to have one cab concider a 4 ohm cab.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, I am running it through an Ashdown LB212, which sounds great, but I currently have that up for sale (feeler) with the Little Bastard head. If they go I will need to replace the cab.

In terms of requirements, I would currently be using it for home and bad practice, however I am slowly progressing toward gigging,first live dates should be happening next year. Would appear that it might be a good idea to try the RS112 now and then add another at a later time as you are looking to do.

Cheers

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1351673196' post='1853907']

Thanks for the reply, I am running it through an Ashdown LB212, which sounds great, but I currently have that up for sale (feeler) with the Little Bastard head. If they go I will need to replace the cab.

In terms of requirements, I would currently be using it for home and bad practice, however I am slowly progressing toward gigging,first live dates should be happening next year. Would appear that it might be a good idea to try the RS112 now and then add another at a later time as you are looking to do.

Cheers
[/quote]

I've been using mine with my Purple Chili PCB112s and it sounds great

[quote name='basskit_case' timestamp='1351673196' post='1853907']

Cheers
[/quote]

I have read that the RS112 + RS210 make a good pairing too so I mite try this befor I settle on another RS112. I have also read that it is better to stay with drivers of the same size (whitch to me makes a lot of sence) and that a pair of 12s will give more output than a 4x10. I did concider the BC cabs too but as my main aim was small form factor and just one cab i decided to go for the best i could afford and what i think is still the smallest form factor 1x12 cab.

• 2 months later...

I tried it in the shop yesterday, through TC RS210 cabinet and I really liked how it sounded. With master set at 1 o'clock it wasn't loud as I expected. In it's defense, it looks like master knob works in linear fashion, meaning that it doesn't max out at 12 o'clock as some other amps. It seems that it has a lot more of juice to give.

I'm seriously thinking about purchasing, but I'm afraid it won't be loud enough. To clarify it - I have a "big rig" (Fusion 550 + Eden 410XLT) for outdoor venues. What I need is a small amp that will be used in conjunction with Markbass 102HF (2x10", front ported) cab for small venues. Markbass Little Mark II that I used to own was perfect for that, and I never had to push it.

Has anybody had the chance to compare it to Little Mark II/III @ 8 ohms load?

ive had mine for two weeks and i have coupled it with a bc210 and bc 212 andit is bloody awsome i cannot express enough that if you need more volume than this sticks out with two cabs then di into your pa before you go deaf .
the range of sounds this rig has got has really imppressed me ,the total wieght of the whole rig very light infact both the cabs are lighter than my old 1x15 ashdown.
in comparison to the ashdown rig ie evo 500 mk1 abm 4x10 mag1x15 ....the tc rig is clearer punchier ,deeper and just as bloody loud the cabs dont rattle ,buzz ,flap or fart
and as for the toneprint wow iam using the spectracomp print and i must say its fantastic doesnt kill your sound it enhances it and equals the volume across the strings perfectly.
my only gripe is tc dont do covers for the bc range cabs and G.A.K sent me covers for the rs cabs which dont fit so i havehad to source them from RQSOLID instead.

all in all though iam really chuffed and my back and bollocks no longer strain lifting the rig in and out of venues :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one of these to use with a Genz 210 focus cab and tecamp 112.
It's pretty crazy really, tiny amp, no weight, decent DI, flexible inputs for Aux sounds etc, tone is good, really simple to use, useful tuner built in and punches well above it's weight in the volume per watts stake. When you factor in the price I just can't fault it.
Only two marginal downsides. Firstly you really need the footswitch if you want to use the toneprint feature, without the fs you can only use one of the two Toneprint presents and are perpetually fiddling with the volume knob to control the effected sound etc. Secondly the toneprint feature doesn't cover all effect types (even those with a TC toneprint) notably reverbs and delays so if you use these you still need your board!!
These are really small gripes though. It's not a massive valvey deathstar kill everyone seated in row 1-12 type amp but if you want something really good for backup or just general usage I can't see how anyone would be disappointed.
Really important point to emphasise: in some ways anything less than 500W is not considered a powerful amp now but actually what really counts of course is the sound and volume. This amp is a really good example of that. I was wary that it would be underpowered based on the spec or that it would struggle at higher volume settings but not at all. Definately a book not to be judged by it's cover!
ABD

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one since late December 2012 and I love it. I currently have an Ashdown setup with a mag200 head and a 4x10 cab. The TC BH250 replaces my cab and I gig with it regularly! I've got 40 gigs this year with my band and I'm using it on virtually all of them, so yes it's good, yes it's bloody loud enough (even for bike rallies and pubs) and its not even turned up full.

The one issue I actually have is the Toneprint software has a tendency to lose all my bh250 settings so the guys at TC have got to fix that!
Plus, make more Switch 3's available!! I need one. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought one of these (from the London Bass show).

[b]Pros:[/b] Very good sound, intelligent one controls that really suit me, the toneprint compression is excellent, excellent tuner. Good design.

[b]Cons:[/b] The kettle lead is a rather loose fit and I've had to re-insert it a few times. Slight acoustic, high pitched whining noise (not from the fan) from the unit - not a problem for gigs and rehearsals but audible practising at home.

Tried one at Birmingham show last week. It was good, but I wasn't convinced it'd be loud enough for me and I like headroom so even though it was a good deal at £269 I gave it a miss and went for a GenzBenz Contour 500 instead (extra £130).