Why become a member? ×

New Fender Basses

Hobbayne

I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an American Standard P bass, but I have not bought a brand new Fender for 16 years.
I have spotted a reasonably priced Olympic white/Tort plate unused 2011 model.
Are they as good as they used to be? I have read some reviews on newer Fenders, and some are not too clever.
I have had a tinker with it in the shop and it feels well made, no crackles or hums and the neck is nice.
Just thought I would get an opinion before the dusty old wallet comes out. :D

i had an oly white 2010 USA standard fender jazz and it was superb... great all round apart from the routing under the pick guard (but i like to take the pickguard off) ... but apart from that it was a fantastic instrument...... i would say the consensous was USA Fenders have never been better.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1349216064' post='1823586']
I have been toying with the idea of purchasing an American Standard P bass, but I have not bought a brand new Fender for 16 years.
I have spotted a reasonably priced Olympic white/Tort plate unused 2011 model.
Are they as good as they used to be? I have read some reviews on newer Fenders, and some are not too clever.
I have had a tinker with it in the shop and it feels well made, no crackles or hums and the neck is nice.
Just thought I would get an opinion before the dusty old wallet comes out. :D
[/quote]

In my experience the latest Fenders are excellent. I have one and I love it.

Here is a link to one I've seen and played. If it's cheaper than the one you've seen then I'd recommend it. The seller is a decent guy. I bought an amp from him recently, which is when I tried the precision.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183545-2010-fender-precision-usa-standard-olympic-white/page__p__1765074__hl__fender%20precision__fromsearch__1#entry1765074

Frank.

Hi, I've been hovering around their J basses for a while and have tried quite a few. In general I prefer the more basic USA models. They just feel nice and give the sound I want.
I'm not so impressed with the cheaper ones and don't like the more complicated active "every tone under the sun models". With those I just end up fiddling with the controls trying to dial in the tones I like. They are actually not bad value either as new certainly seems a lot cheaper than 2nd hand stuff. Also I didn't like the 5 stringer I played at all-horrible B string.

I recall Bass Player magazine writing a review on the 2010's J and P.
Sometime around when new USA features came out, i.e. heavy mass bridge, new lacker, etc...
They were described as great sounding instruments. I tried a J in a music store and I was also really impressed.
I think generally Fender have picked up their game with USA axes.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought for a fleeting moment that Fender had come up with something revolutionary and new. Then the sensible part of my brain caught up, slapped the free thinking part of my brain and then they had a good chuckle together.

Sorry for the diversion. In all honesty the date (and location) of manufacture of a particular bass is neither here nor there. If it feels and sounds good to you, then it IS good and if you like it enough then you should buy it. It doesn't matter one jot what "round the campfire" talk exists about certain periods of production. I highly doubt that anyone here has sufficient overview of the entire output of Fender from a certain era and location in order to make overall judgements applicable to the entirety of it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1349256465' post='1823810']
Sorry for the diversion. In all honesty the date (and location) of manufacture of a particular bass is neither here nor there. If it feels and sounds good to you, then it IS good and if you like it enough then you should buy it. It doesn't matter one jot what "round the campfire" talk exists about certain periods of production.
[/quote]

Agreed, but Fender did introduce some upgrades in 2010 to their P and J models. These upgrades may appeal to some players.
For instance, I like better their new bridges , versus the old flimsy ones. They have made graphite rods standard, on all US models, etc...

Edited by BassPimp66

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1349256465' post='1823810']
Sorry for the diversion. In all honesty the date (and location) of manufacture of a particular bass is neither here nor there. If it feels and sounds good to you, then it IS good and if you like it enough then you should buy it. It doesn't matter one jot what "round the campfire" talk exists about certain periods of production. I highly doubt that anyone here has sufficient overview of the entire output of Fender from a certain era and location in order to make overall judgements applicable to the entirety of it.
[/quote]

This is one of the best things I've read in a long time. This just doesn't apply to fender basses but to the whole lot of them!

I think that, if you have the cash to buy a new Fender, you'll get better value and a better instrument if you buy a good second-hand "boutique-ish" bass. I've got 2 but there are many more examples of quality P and J basses.

On the other hand you may just want the label.

The new improved 2010 and onwards basses ply nice sound good and don't need any after market upgrades such as bridges, pick ups etc unless there is a specific brand you prefer.

I understand that they have put new pick ups in the 2012 models?

If you can buy one used it's even better value.

They are more than good, they are proper, perfect, they've got it right with the American Standard series, great necks, decent pickups, fantastic hi-mass bridge with the option of top load or string through, and I've even experimented with 2 strings through and two top loaded with interesting results (E & A through for that deep low end and D & G top loaded for sparkling highs)

And as you can see in my signature pic I was so impressed with them I've got one of each P and J, pukka!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

The four string 2012 American Standards have now got Custom Shop Vintage 60s pickups. These are great sounding pickups , up there with some of the best boutique pickups on the market. The post 2008-11 basses sound fine as well, and are some the nicest Fenders I have ever played , and you can always upgrade the pickups for a few quid if you feel like you want to ( but I personally see no need). Find a good one ( the big proviso with any Fender bass) of these and you have got great sounding and very solid feeling instrument that will last you many, many years .

Big +1 from me as well, got a newer J and P.

You could buy the 2011's Fender very recently from Thomann for about £820 - I posted it on here - and promptly bought my Jazz!

Just checked now and the J's seem to have gone, but there is a P for £877 - American Standard, not the cheaper special.

Thanks for the input chaps. I was toying with the idea of buying another US P Bass after I sold my Stingray.
I got a nice MIM in LPB, but its kept more as a backup bass in all honesty.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1349301249' post='1824601']
So what did you decide? :)
[/quote]

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08111716343038#ProductDetail"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=08111716343038#ProductDetail[/url]

I think this one, Its so John Deacon :D I,m not too keen on Maple boards but... :happy:

Id be a bit careful with the Jazzes as the last two i tried in the shop buzzed like buggery on the A string. Perhaps a good setup would help it out, but these two were completely different and had the same issue. Precision was fine tho.