Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348608863' post='1816052']

I know you said in your other post/thread about it that you bought it at Dawson's but I'd be inclined to check with Marshall what Marshall charge.
[/quote]

As far as I'm aware, that is what Marshall charge. All Dawsons seem to have done is phoned up Marshall and asked them, which annoyed me a bit because I could've done that myself.

I still would, if it's true Marshall have had a [i]massive[/i] change in their pricing structure. And IIRC yours could well be described as a quality issue just outside of guarantee, which normally they'd jump thru hoops to fix.

It's not often I've sent a Marshall back to them for repair but when I have it's always cost less than a dealer would charge, once it was just shy of half.

Spent all day at castlehill plasic surgery unit (nr Hull)on the slab having a plate & 7 pins removed from my right index finger, had an argument with a 5inch angle grinder back in january, bit pis#ed as they've not done all they'd said they were gonna do' but . . i'm still doing a dep job sat'day night complete with plecky gaffertaped to thumb, gripping it with the 'next finger along' Done it once before after initial accident, only pub stuff to be fair, may have to swerve 'my generation' tho. Not a good day.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348609419' post='1816067']
I still would, if it's true Marshall have had a [i]massive[/i] change in their pricing structure. And IIRC yours could well be described as a quality issue just outside of guarantee, which normally they'd jump thru hoops to fix.

It's not often I've sent a Marshall back to them for repair but when I have it's always cost less than a dealer would charge, once it was just shy of half.
[/quote]
You're right, I'll give them a call before I take it down to Dawson's tomorrow and cut out the middleman, as they've not been much help so far

It's worth a phone call; I've nothing against Dawson's at all, but I've been flannelled by shops plenty times about what it'll cost outside of guarantee. I'd be interested to hear what Marshall say & shocked if it's true.

Only bind is getting it boxed & shipped down, but I've found it to be worth it.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348610165' post='1816082']
It's worth a phone call; I've nothing against Dawson's at all, but I've been flannelled by shops plenty times about what it'll cost outside of guarantee. I'd be interested to hear what Marshall say & shocked if it's true.

Only bind is getting it boxed & shipped down, but I've found it to be worth it.
[/quote]
Luckily for me Dawson's said they'd ship it to Marshall free of charge.
I find £30 an hour very hard to believe, especially if they charge nothing for opening it up, diagnosing the problem and shipping it back.

My band, Madam Fade have a gig tomorrow so got together with the band for a rehearsal. Learned that the guitarist's amp is with an amp tech after dying. During rehearsal he received a message from the tech that it'd be at least a week to get fixed. Major last minute worry.

He sent some texts round and by the end of the session he had a loaner sorted from a friend of his. What a relief.

Rehearsal went ok apart from that. The set is nice and tight so should be a good gig tomorrow.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1348610563' post='1816087']I find £30 an hour very hard to believe[/quote]

Me too, I once, years ago (8 IIRC), returned a 70's tranny L&B head just for a check over because it kept blowing up on full tilt and they serviced it for nothing entirely because they hadn't seen one for a long while............. it also means that for some of their cheaper amps if it was going to take 3 hours to fix you'd get a sniff down the sleeve and "You'd be cheaper buying a new one mate".

Like I say, interesting to hear their answer.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348611639' post='1816104']

Me too, I once, years ago (8 IIRC), returned a 70's tranny L&B head just for a check over because it kept blowing up on full tilt and they serviced it for nothing entirely because they hadn't seen one for a long while............. it also means that for some of their cheaper amps if it was going to take 3 hours to fix you'd get a sniff down the sleeve and "You'd be cheaper buying a new one mate".

Like I say, interesting to hear their answer.
[/quote]
They'll probably take a look at mine and go "Not another one of these lumps of sh**e."'
I'll keep you posted with what they say in the morning!

Band practice. We're breaking in a new drummer. It's about his fourth rehearsal with us. Okay, he's learning 30+ songs we've been gigging for a couple of years, but progress is a bit slow. I'm not yet feeling a connection with him. And he repeated some mistakes he made last week that throw the lead guitarist and me out.

The result was that songs we used to play well now sound like we're all just getting to grips with them.

But the drummer is a mate of the two guitarists, so I just have to bite my tongue.

Felt very flat on the way home.

up early cardiac rehab at hospital,then off to rehearsals at 1200 got a little feed up with the guitard,his vocal work not that great,but he thinks it is,home at three,out for a two mile walk ( a slow pace getting tired now) five thirty,cook dinner,wash up....,sit down watch film,totaly worn out :P that was yesterday,today feeling crap did to much yesterday :huh:

Day job all day, then house cleaning and dog walking, then squeezed in an hour with my new EUB. Watched a youtube video of how to approach DB properly, realised I was doing that anyway (smug mode) then plugged it in through my guitar pedal board and made the house shake til the missus made me stop. (fuzz face, mxr overdrive, and boost pedal as well, drowned in delay, awesome)
Not bad.

Got a bit of time this morning (on shifts 12pm - 8pm) to work on new set songs for the function band - Rosanna, You Can Call Me Al, and the latest song shoehorned into the funk section of the set - the Starsky and Hutch theme. The last one's the most fun by a long way... Anyway, a bit of playing to set me up for a day of mither in work...

Day off for me today and been wanting for a long time to try and learn our Norms "Hit me" been at it about 4 hours now and just about got it up to speed! Seems to be more about getting the muscle memory working than remembering the notes. I'll be happy if I can crack it :) Good on you Norman.

Last night, went to see Dredd (dayummmm thats a good film), then changed my strings for the freshly cleaned set that have been in 'the tube' for 24 hours ready for the SE Bass Bash on Saturday. My word they sound bright!

Also gone over the stuff I intend to talk about for recording ensembles in rooms and the quick "how to train your compressor" recap.

Today, listened to the album I'll be gigging later in the year (bit of a one off gig) a couple of times, then this evening it'll be getting everything ready for the Bass Bash tomorrow (woot!).

Busy busy busy!