Why become a member? ×

A compressor in the Loop?

Highfox

If going for an on-all-the-time compressor, just to even out dynamics a bit, with nothing fancy, the MXR Dyna-Comp is worth a look, as is the Behringer DC9. Neither are particularly expensive, but work quite nicely. Just set to prevent the lows from booming too much, plus this also seems to bring the higher notes up to the same volume. The EBS Mult-Comp is a good pedal, has a very subtle compression, with three different modes, bit more expensive though.

Have to say though Don, I seem to keep buying compressors for the same reason, yet also keep selling them again. Maybe I like the thought of compression, but find my playing doesn`t really need it as much as I think it does.

Edited by Lozz196

Thanks Guys. It would seem from the amount of replies I got that not a lot of people are using them.
Funny I have one backup amp with a built in compressor (spectracomp) and using that the other day seemed to give me more of an even sound.. I don't slap much but a bit for effect here and there and that's why I was thinking of looking at a stand alone compressor.

I bought an EBS Multicomp and put it in the effects loop of a Little Mark II amp. It is quite easy to use and if i weren't as lazy as i am i would probably stick with it.

The overall effect wasn't a wow thing at all. It was pretty subtle but i can see certain scenarios where it could be useful.

To me it was noticeably more effective in the loop than just running my bass straight into it and then the pedal into the amp.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1346872189' post='1794364']
+1 for the EBS.... The last thing in my path before the amp and its always on.
[/quote]

Thought I'd just report back and say that I have been trying the EBS as an (always on) in my loop and have found using moderate/subtle compression that I can still get a lot of dynamics but with none of the volume spikes/boosts/cuts I was suffering from before when switching pedals.
All in all I'd say it seems to of given me a cleaner and more even tone, that still lets me have some bite when I dig in.
Early days, but it seems to be doing exactly what I hoped it would. Subtle bit nice :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1348126656' post='1809532']
Thought I'd just report back and say that I have been trying the EBS as an (always on) in my loop and have found using moderate/subtle compression that I can still get a lot of dynamics but with none of the volume spikes/boosts/cuts I was suffering from before when switching pedals.
All in all I'd say it seems to of given me a cleaner and more even tone, that still lets me have some bite when I dig in.
Early days, but it seems to be doing exactly what I hoped it would. Subtle bit nice :)
[/quote]

Yes, the EBS is a good pedal at subtly evening things out.

I run a Focusrite Compunder in my loop.

Its on all the time, very low ratio, low threshold, medium attack, fast release, sensible makeup gain, and with the limiter section catching any silliness from the fx.

I use it that way to fatten everything up a tad, even out the changes in volume from different techniques and fx, all whilst remaining very transparent. I regularly hit over 3 to 6dB of gain reduction according to the meters, yet I can never 'feel' its on, unless I'm really digging in, and thats a sure sign I need to turn up the master volume of the amp before I wreck my hands...

A properly set up compressor can not affect your ability to play with dynamics, it just doesnt work like that!

If you are looking to put a compressor in your fx loop, do yourself a favour and get a full fat rack jobbie (dbx, focusrite, even an alesis 3630 - all are more versatile and easier to set up than a pedal without metering once you know what you are doing).

Conan - search for some of my posts on setting up compression (hint: they are [i]old[/i] posts now, you will have to look back quite a way) - they should help you get your head around it!

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348129296' post='1809582']
I run a Focusrite Compunder in my loop.

Its on all the time, very low ratio, low threshold, medium attack, fast release, sensible makeup gain, and with the limiter section catching any silliness from the fx.

I use it that way to fatten everything up a tad, even out the changes in volume from different techniques and fx, all whilst remaining very transparent. I regularly hit over 3 to 6dB of gain reduction according to the meters, yet I can never 'feel' its on, unless I'm really digging in, and thats a sure sign I need to turn up the master volume of the amp before I wreck my hands...

A properly set up compressor can not affect your ability to play with dynamics, it just doesnt work like that!

If you are looking to put a compressor in your fx loop, do yourself a favour and get a full fat rack jobbie (dbx, focusrite, even an alesis 3630 - all are more versatile and easier to set up than a pedal without metering once you know what you are doing).

Conan - search for some of my posts on setting up compression (hint: they are [i]old[/i] posts now, you will have to look back quite a way) - they should help you get your head around it!
[/quote]

I think there might a very useful blog post in here somewhere 5im0n, as it is definately something to look at when recording as well as in a live environment.

Personally, i don't use one, though i did think that the built in one in the Line6 Lowdown series was damn good for a 1 knob compressor, too bad it was always kicking in when i was using that amp as it lacked what i needed so i had to crank it. Definately made a big difference when i was after a really punchy tone a few years ago though.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1346868614' post='1794307']
I bought an EBS Multicomp and put it in the effects loop of a Little Mark II amp. It is quite easy to use and if i weren't as lazy as i am i would probably stick with it.

To me it was noticeably more effective in the loop than just running my bass straight into it and then the pedal into the amp.
[/quote]

The LM II is shipped with a parallel effects loop, so if you run the compressor in the loop you get a blend of compressed and uncompressed signal, which I'd expect to be less 'effective' . Unless of course you've re-jumpered your amp so that the loop is in series.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1348169567' post='1810428']
The LM II is shipped with a parallel effects loop, so if you run the compressor in the loop you get a blend of compressed and uncompressed signal, which I'd expect to be less 'effective' . Unless of course you've re-jumpered your amp so that the loop is in series.
[/quote]
I guess it depends on the definition of effective. More accurately i would say that i preferred using it in the loop. I am seriously tempted to take it along to a gig on Saturday now.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1348169567' post='1810428']
[/quote]

Good point - the reason according to MB is that if you have an fx unit fail then at least something is getting through (not a good reason IMO, but what can you do).

My sa450 took about 10 minutes to switch the jumpers on, so its not a tricky operation at all.

There's a compressor built in to my amp (ABM 500) which I'm never too sure about. When engaged (with the compressor dial right down to zero), there's a slight dip in volume and it seems to take something away from the (otherwise awesome) tone. Not much - but it flattens it slightly. To resolve it, you haveto crank the dial up to about 1 oclock. The basic tone's then ok, but it feels like it might be over-compressed. The upshot is I can never make my mind up whether I should have no compression (probably best option), a bit (with something lacking) or too much! Because the dial is there it wants to be used. Its like having a button marked "do not press". It makes my head hurt.

If its a one knob compressor on an amp (or pretty much anywhere else) avoid it, because so many choices about how you play must have been hardwired (literally) into the design of the thing. Attack time, Release time, threshold or ratio, and make up gain must all be automated (the knob either controls the ratio with a fixed threshold, or the threshold with a fixed ratio, or in some predetermined way manipulates both at the same time - predetermined meaning unsuitable in all cases IME).

The chances are very slight that any such compressor will really work well for you. And you are right to think you may be over compressing, how could you tell though, since there is no metering on the useless thing.

They are the devils spawn of hell in terms of compressors - especially nastily done ones stuck into amps to make you fiddle about with an inadequate and space/money/time wasting extra knob on your amp.

Leave it off if it is in any way less than 100% convincing to you.

My advice, don't bother with it, its almost certainly cr4p....

[quote name='Si600' timestamp='1348126917' post='1809534']
If you can find one, and it's big if at the moment as they were discontinued a while back, then I'd recommend a TC Electronics Nova Dynamics (ND-1).
[/quote]+1 for the TC. I used to use an EBS but find the TC does the job better with more flexibility (two separate compression engines, or use one as a limiter in series). I run it as the first thing in chain direct from the bass - I like the fact that the rest of the board gets a consistent signal even when I'm being less than consistent! In my experience, it also helps smooth things out for octave effects.

I'm not sure of the efficacy of running a compressor in the loop as you'd get both compressed and uncompressed signals to the amp, which to my mind defeats the object of what a compressor is trying to achieve, but finer minds that me may be able to shed more light/correct my line of thinking :D

At the end of the day no-one can really tell you what will work for you, just offer their take on it. Unfortunately that means there's no substitute for trying out a few options!

Best of luck in your quest.