Why become a member? ×

Decent bass setup in London?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I really want a professional to go over my Gibson Grabber, basically I want a damn fine setup. It is currently fairly decent action, however I reckon it could go lower and needs a better shim and possibly the nut to be cut down a bit.

Anybody know someone who is very very good in London? Preferably in South London. But not a deal breaker. I have read the list in the repairs forum, but I want to go to someone to personally recommend me someone!

Rob.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346612519' post='1791237']
A bit closer to home: Charlie Chandler in Hampton Wick or the Chandler shop at Kew. Over the years I've used both and they do excellent work.
[/quote]

I've had a setup at Charlie Chandlers and although they were friendly and the setup was good, it took a while, 4 days I think. This is of course no fault of their own, you can tell by the amount of guitars in for repair, that their services are in demand. However, Bass Gallery have before done it by the next day and they to are excellent.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1346617692' post='1791334']
Heya guys. Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Sort of hoping it would be a luthier rather then a shop doing it. The Gallery is a bit far and when I visited for the first time the other day, the guy seemed more interested in his laptop then anything else.
[/quote]
I have been in and Alex (the sales manager) has seemed a bit distant and uninterested at times. However, if you engage him he is a very nice chap and very helpful. My guess is there are so many tyre kickers he doesn't jump to attention each time a customer enters the shop - but he is a good guy if you start a dialogue. And the workshop team (esp Martin) are top quality - and that is after all what you are after

I had a setup at the Gallery and I wasnt impressed. I had to do it myself when I got it back home. I also found the staff a bit disinterested when I told them it wasnt how I wanted it.
I always use Stuart at Peter Cook in Hanwell, west london these days.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1346614008' post='1791264']
I've had a setup at Charlie Chandlers and although they were friendly and the setup was good, it took a while, 4 days I think. This is of course no fault of their own, you can tell by the amount of guitars in for repair, that their services are in demand. However, Bass Gallery have before done it by the next day and they to are excellent.
[/quote]
A friend of mine had a dreadful set up on his Ricky 4003 at Chandlers, came back with a high action and the G kept falling of the fretboard when played. It was rubbish and cost a lot of money, it took over two weeks too. I told him to take it to Martin at The Gallery and he sorted it out wonderfully, he said it needed a new nut as the original had been badly cut. Even I like playing it and I detest Rickys :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1346672557' post='1791698']
A friend of mine had a dreadful set up on his Ricky 4003 at Chandlers, came back with a high action and the G kept falling of the fretboard when played. It was rubbish and cost a lot of money, it took over two weeks too. I told him to take it to Martin at The Gallery and he sorted it out wonderfully, he said it needed a new nut as the original had been badly cut. Even I like playing it and I detest Rickys :)
[/quote]

Chandler's (Kew) and Charlie Chandler's (Shepperton) are different shops. I think they split over musical differences?

I had a so-so set up at Chandler's in Kew a few years ago so avoided them for a bit. I gave them another try A couple of years ago and they did a great job. I've used them since. The trick is to ask for Andrew. Very nice bloke and he prefers working on basses.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1346673089' post='1791716']
Chandler's (Kew) and Charlie Chandler's (Shepperton) are different shops. I think they split over musical differences?

I had a so-so set up at Chandler's in Kew a few years ago so avoided them for a bit. I gave them another try A couple of years ago and they did a great job. I've used them since. The trick is to ask for Andrew. Very nice bloke and he prefers working on basses.
[/quote]

Ah, it was Kew. Thanks for that clarification mate.

Chris McIntyre used to have a workshop in Peckham, and he is excellent but sadly for me he's moved back to Edinburgh. :(

AFAIK though, he regularly comes back down this way to keep his London clients happy. I'm sure he could squeeze in a setup.

As for the Gallery, I found them unhelpful and disinterested whenever I went in, and on one occasion quite insulting. I've had a couple of setups by them and they were ok at best.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1346705925' post='1792285']
Graham Noden in Denmark Street .
[/quote]

Well, I'd never use anyone on Denmark Street again, especially those tools. When I took my 8 string for a setup I asked them to lower the action and the guy just filed down the nut until the first fret was being fretted by playing an open string. I was seriously not amused when a couple of days later I couldn't figure out why it was going out of tune. I then took it to Graham Parker who made me a very reasonably priced bone nut.

I got that bloke Tim Hardin to build it for me (I'm not the most handy of people) and he broke the nut. Filed off the bit on the side of the fundamental G string. Then tried to deny that he'd bodged it not realising that since the nut was made of corian it showed up the superglue he'd tried to fix it with very, very well. Not impressed.

When Andys was there ,before graham, they were appallingly bad.
However, Graham talks the job through, before commitment .He is easy going,also there was another chap(Patrick ) who is ok

Charle the young lady was nice too, although I think she's moved on.
Horses for courses I guess,)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1346675973' post='1791769']
Chris McIntyre used to have a workshop in Peckham, and he is excellent but sadly for me he's moved back to Edinburgh. :(

AFAIK though, he regularly comes back down this way to keep his London clients happy. I'm sure he could squeeze in a setup.

As for the Gallery, I found them unhelpful and disinterested whenever I went in, and on one occasion quite insulting. I've had a couple of setups by them and they were ok at best.
[/quote]
Yes, the two others are miserable f***ers, but Martin is a gem, always talk to Martin if he has time.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1346763226' post='1792797']
Yes, the two others are miserable f***ers, but Martin is a gem, always talk to Martin if he has time.
[/quote]

I'm afraid I spent a bit of time with Martin in the workshop downstairs, and he gave me just as much guff as the other guy on the shop floor. He was a bit more polite though, I'll give him that. ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1346769428' post='1792948']
I'm afraid I spent a bit of time with Martin in the workshop downstairs, and he gave me just as much guff as the other guy on the shop floor. He was a bit more polite though, I'll give him that. ;)
[/quote]

We are not miserable f***ers, I'm one of the happiest people i know! we just can get a little busy at times, and as Clarky says, we do get a lot of time wasters in, on the other hand, i can olny apologise if people haven't go the service they wanted, we can only try better in the future

alex