Why become a member? ×

Thought its about time I loaded a video

SpaceChick

OK guys, I've only been a bassist for just over 4 months! I know my timings go off in places. I look like crap and fat as am in casual clothes and no make up. But if you can endure 3 and a half minutes of torture.... Here's Love Cats by the Cure.

It was my homework piece from Mr Ace my fab teacher, I thought it was beyond my skills, but I'm getting there I reckon.

So, be brutal!

[URL=http://s1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/?action=view&current=C87EF645-DC01-42BE-9D2A-C55C1E9E1A2E-4425-00000BD2C0A08E29.mp4][IMG]http://emob1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/th_C87EF645-DC01-42BE-9D2A-C55C1E9E1A2E-4425-00000BD2C0A08E29.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

That's really good! You have good timing, and you look relaxed and confident. Your teacher's right, you'll get things like the string damping, dynamics and articulation over time.

It should not be underestimated how much extra pressure is put on you from filming yourself, you should be very proud of yourself for this vid, only four months of playing and with all of life's other demands, you're at this stage already.

Good stuff! Your left hand looks relaxed and your positioning and shifting is good.

One way to avoid fret buzz is to fret the string nice and close to the fret, not halfway between frets. If you fret directly on the fret you'll mute the string somewhat so you need to be just a little behind it.

But don't get too hung up on it at this stage, but it's something to aim for as you progress. It takes time and practice to build accuracy but it means you'll need less pressure to get a clean note, less strain on your hands and more speed, plus if you venture onto a fretless bass you'll have a head start ;)

However on your right hand you're only playing with one finger, really need to get them walking! Maybe practice some scales using strict alternate fingers, that'll also help with muting as you can bring your right hand into play as well as your fretting hand.

Good luck! You're making really good progress.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1346066131' post='1784681']
However on your right hand you're only playing with one finger, really need to get them walking! Maybe practice some scales using strict alternate fingers, that'll also help with muting as you can bring your right hand into play as well as your fretting hand.

[/quote]

this.

but on a good note well done for putting yourself out there to be judged its sounding great you should be proud of yourself :)

Edited by Chrismanbass

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1346066131' post='1784681']

Good luck! You're making really good progress.
[/quote]

Yep, I was waiting to be pulled up on that ;)

I do struggle with alternate finger walking.... I have been working on it with some 12 bar blues.... But I still have a long way to go.... I naturally use one finger and it's proving a hard habit to break.... But I know if I ever want to be a good bassist I have to nail that puppy!!

Thanks for all you kind comment guys. I watch some videos on here and I get blown away with the talent some of you guys have!

I think it's good to record my progress (you should see the first video I did, it's totally embarrassing now!), this is the first time I've felt confident enough to post a video without thinking I would be making a complete tit out of myself! :lol:

[color=#222222][size=2]The great man himself mainly used one finger too! If it's good enough for Jamerson...[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=2]But seriously, that was an enjoyable video. From someone who exclusively used a pick up until a couple of years ago and who now rarely uses one, I can tell you that playing with two fingers will come naturally in time.[/size][/color]

[color=#222222][size=2]Keep up the good work![/size][/color]

I can honestly say that your playing is much , much better than I was after four months. You handle the different note- values and the walking bass part in the middle- eight particulaly well. I have given plenty of lessons to beginning bassists in the past, and I can tell you that I have had students who were nowhere near as good as you after four months who have gone on to become accomplished professional players. Keep practising, keep having lessons and persevere with trying to use two fingers on the right hand; I promise you that in no time it will get to feel just as natural as using one finger does to you now. That bass looks and sounds good too.

Edited by Dingus