Why become a member? ×

I went to Bass Direct yesterday...

fretmeister

The shop is only about an hour away and I had never been.

So after a quick call to make sure they had the bits in stock I wanted to try, off I went with my Streamline and my wallet.

I tried plenty of amp and cab combinations (Genz / Vanderklay / Berg etc). I took the Streamline because out of all my basses it is the most difficult to get sounding just right - it is very picky about amps. I tried the Shuttle series amps and a streamliner 600.

I left with a Genz Shuttle 9.2 and a plan to obtain a couple of Berg 1x12 cabs. I quite liked the Vanderklays but with the Shuttle and an all graphite Status I found them to be bit too mid pushed and a little brittle. Sounded fab with a Dingwall that another chap was trying though.

The Berg cabs are not neo so a bit heavier than the MB cabs I have, but I need them!!!! :D So there will be plenty of kit getting listed in the next few days.

I don't think I've ever been as impressed with a shop as this. Excellent customer service, no probs about a pretty extensive A/B session with all the different options and I even got a go on the new 3 Leaf Audio envelope filter that is replacing the GR2.

Anyway, I bought a Shuttle 9.2 a couple of speakon cables and a Soundblox Bass drive wotsit. Now all plugged in at home and sounding great.

The only downside... if I keep going back I'm going to get divorced!!

Fantastic choice. The Shuttle amps are brilliant but the new .2 models really do push technology to an almost perfect state between weight, tone, price, versatility.

If it is anything like my Shuttlemax 9.2 you have many tones at your disposal. I read that the new filter on/off buttons are much less extreme and really well zoned in on the frequencies we bassists need access to quickly.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1346004296' post='1784019']
Fantastic choice. The Shuttle amps are brilliant but the new .2 models really do push technology to an almost perfect state between weight, tone, price, versatility.

If it is anything like my Shuttlemax 9.2 you have many tones at your disposal. I read that the new filter on/off buttons are much less extreme and really well zoned in on the frequencies we bassists need access to quickly.
[/quote]

Although I took the Streamline with me, it is not my main bass. My 1993 (I think) massively modified Energy is. So I got the Shuttle 9.2 home, plugged in the energy... activated the mid-cut switch only (all other EQ flat) and there it was... the sound in my head.

Absolutely bloody marvellous. I usually have a mental FX board, but this is the first time I haven't even had a compressor on. Just the bass, a cable and the amp.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346062841' post='1784602']
I am trying to find a way of taking the Classic Ray 5 off him that he has on offer......take it away scheme is now only for up to 25 year olds :(
[/quote]

Shame cause i bought my GB 600 and berg cabs through the scheme. Great idea.
Dave

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1346063286' post='1784614']
What's the problem? Get one of your kids to buy you an early Christmas present.
[/quote]

I can imagine the look on Mark's face when a 5 year old wee Scottish lassie comes in looking for a Take it Away deal on a Wood and Tronics 5.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346071052' post='1784809']
I know, my Blue Ray 5 was bought on it. 9 months of easy 0% payments are easy to get past the missus.
[/quote]

But when you have used it at least 3 times the good old, but they do interest free credit, trick doesn't seem so easy............

[quote name='RichF' timestamp='1346094205' post='1785216']
I can imagine the look on Mark's face when a 5 year old wee Scottish lassie comes in looking for a Take it Away deal on a Wood and Tronics 5.
[/quote]

:D Genius! That's it - GAS answered! Now my 7 year old needs a credit rating!