Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy an octave pedal...

bubinga5

I currently have the oc2, ebs, mxr, and dod octoplus.
I've also got the whammy and digitech bsw both of which do a decent octave. I've also used the ehx and Aguilar. However the latter two didn't stand out for me sound wise
It's absolutely crucial to find the one that sits best with your playing in a mix. I spent hours with both the mxr and ebs going head to head. I went with the ebs initially, but found for me that it didn't sit right in my mix. However once I got the mxr it all worked perfectly for me.
The dod and boss have their own distinct and individual sounds and have definite uses for certain genres.
I have to say that I love all of them in differing ways

I have the Aguilar. Its pretty good. It tracks down to B fairly comfortably but I have found it gets spotty around A. Aguilar pedals are poorly designed as the high edges make it difficult to use them with angled jack sockets. Still it is a good pedal otherwise.

Had and tried all the usual suspects, BSW, OC-2, Aguilar, EBS, MXR and even the EHX BMS and out of all the MXR sounds and tracks the best IMO. Even done an A-B-C with the OC-2, MXR and EBS and the MXR outperformed the other two. The sound is very clear and organic and cuts better in the mix. I won't be parting with mine any time soon. I found the OC-2 to be too synthy and a bit too "wooly" in a band context.

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1345981459' post='1783730']
Nobody's mentioned the Eventide Pitchfactor... Just wondering how it stacks up against those listed above.
[/quote]

It blows the socks off all of them and nails pretty much every tone other than that famous OC2 -1 octave sound.

Buying a Pitchfactor to be just an Octave pedal is however a tad OTT! It's really stunning but does so much it could replace a large part of many pedal boards... And costs a bomb!

I agree, most analogue octave pedals will track similarly, so its choosing based on tone.
I've never had an issue having my OC-2s track down to Low E. I mean, don't expect the note to hold very long, but the initial attack will track.

Like many, I think the OC-2s are the ultimate :), I'm currently on 5 and counting lol

Si

I've had the EBS Octabass for years (the old style without the switch) and it's a really good sounding
pedal.However,the OC2 is one of the few pedals that I take to nearly every gig. Sure,it has it's little
idiosyncrasies and glitches but you can't beat it's 'synthy-ness'. It sounds great,especially with the
direct signal either really low or off. The OC3 just doesn't behave quite the same either.

I have gone through a Boss OC-2 and OC-3, an EBS OctaBass and fiddle with the octave control on a few synth pedals and nothing has come close to the MXR Bass Ocatave Deluxe I bought last year. It has the best tracking out of all of those, great tone and the mid boost switch is a very useful feature. Looks cool too!

• 2 months later...

[url="http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/great-divide"]http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/great-divide[/url] this also looks interesting however I tend to stay away from effects that do the whole 100 sounds in one box one stomp thing.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1352072177' post='1858522']
:hi: hello.. has anyone tried the Chord OC-50 or the Beta Aivin OC-100 Super Octave (?).. both go for around 40 quid.. Hmm

Cheers!
[/quote]
I've got the chord one and it's brilliant. Much prefer it to the Aguilar and EBS. Really, really good OC2 clone.

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='Ruck' timestamp='1352087345' post='1858573']
[url="http://www.godlyke.com/totally-wycked-audio-effects-pedals/great-divide"]http://www.godlyke.c...ls/great-divide[/url] this also looks interesting however I tend to stay away from effects that do the whole 100 sounds in one box one stomp thing.
[/quote]

TWA do have some interesting products but they always seem expensive to me.