Why become a member? ×

Looking to buy an octave pedal...

bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1345315141' post='1776257']
can you suggest some of the best octave pedals,, features, tracking etc... ive been looking at the MXR 288.. i dont have much experience with effects etc so would appreciate any thoughts

cheers
[/quote]

Remember to check the mains power required. Most are 9v and also use 9v battery. Markbass octave pedal (very good) needs a 12v mains power supply but uses up a 9v battery rather quickly!.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1352111997' post='1858727']
I've got the chord one and it's brilliant. Much prefer it to the Aguilar and EBS. Really, really good OC2 clone.
[/quote]

Hey Paul! thanks for the steer.. quite interesting that you prefer the sound of the 'chord' to the more expensive one's.. It just goes to show how much variation there is between the brands.. in terms of quality/price. The MXR deluxe thing get's very inconsistent reviews.. you either love it or hate it.. so, I might take a punt on the 'chord'.. just to compare it with my OC-2.

My original OC-2 was the first (proper) pedal I bought 20-years ago, and it's still on my board!

- The other only slightly interesting thing, Octave wise, is that I asked TC R&D department if they were going to produce a pedal based on their "[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana]Sub’n’ Up Octaver" tone-print.. but sadly, I don't think they have any plans to at the moment :rolleyes:[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=arial, verdana]Such is life.[/font][/color]

Edited by SimonEdward

• 2 months later...

Another +1 for the OC-2 but if you can't find one then the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe is a close second. Stay away from the Boss OC-3 - a truly dreadful pedal (IMHO) I did and A/B with the OC-3 & MXR and even though the OC-3 claims to have the original OC-2 mode it's nothing like the OC-2 or the MXR. Avoid! have heard good things about the Aguilar Octamizer but have never used one.

• 2 months later...

Having read this thread I gave the Chord OC-50 a punt, stupid cheap from amazon of all places.

Had a play before I took it to rehearsal on Sunday, and initially I honestly wasnt sure, the tracking glitches and warbling are rather all over the place and alarming when you are soloed.

However in a band setting that really doesnt matter, this is simply the most entertaining pedal on my board, especially followed by my Maxon AF9, just insanely funky. Comments from the band included "Thats fat as f***", "Sounds all Moogy does that", and "How much!??!". Better yet its definitely not a one setting wonder at all, and finally if that werent enough if you give it the full beans on the lower octave and the drive and then pass that through a band pass filter you can produce a perfect rendition of the theme from Rhubarb and Custard, could you ever want more from a pedal?

Hugely recommended :D

I have an OC-2 but as it hasn't been mentioned I thought I would throw the Zoom B3 into the mix the pitch shifter or octaver on that are pretty good and you get all the other effects thrown in! it is big though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1365438878' post='2039654']
I have an OC-2 but as it hasn't been mentioned I thought I would throw the Zoom B3 into the mix the pitch shifter or octaver on that are pretty good and you get all the other effects thrown in! it is big though.
[/quote]

Really? Mmm interesting

Guest FretNoMore

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe replaced my EBS Octabass; better tracking, versatile sound and true bypass were deciding factors.

EBS is also in my opinion of a bit dodgy build quality, pots get scratchy and the 9V battery power stops working (a couple of my pedals only run on external power now). Problems have begun cropping up recently with both pedals and my combo amp that are a couple of years old.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1375048552' post='2156233']
Really? Mmm interesting
[/quote]

I have since changed my B3 for the single pedal version the MS60b as it has all I need and doesn't take up much room :)

[quote name='thodrik' timestamp='1345479977' post='1777962']
I have the Aguilar. Its pretty good. It tracks down to B fairly comfortably but I have found it gets spotty around A. Aguilar pedals are poorly designed as the high edges make it difficult to use them with angled jack sockets. Still it is a good pedal otherwise.
[/quote]

I too have an Octamizer and much prefer it to the OC2/3 and the MXR bass octave deluxe pedals. In Aguilar's defence, the new lipless pedal design has removed the 'high edges' to eliminate the issues with using angled jacks, so don't be put off by that!

Great analogue sound and much less fiddley than the MXR IMO.